Amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
:surprised A bit bored at work and surfing the net and I have just seen that there is a return flight on Tues 1st June,Manchester,UK to POP on sale at ?278... 389 US$ and 14 nights AI in Playa Dorada for ?280 ..... 392 US$. That is just so cheap.
I am not sure whether it reflects on our new government here in the UK tightening everyones purse strings or the lack of interest in holidays to the DR, which is certainly true to a degree, or a combination of the two.
I just wish I could snap it up but I can't get time off until July :ermm:

Rio

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Why is there a lack of interest in holidays to DR ?

I am also a bit bored at work today :)

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
we are in shoulder season - generally the time when people do not or CANNOT travel - kind of like you.

So the tour operators put everything on sale because most agreements they guarantee a number of rooms per week and a number of plane seats per trip. Better to fill at lower rates then have empty!!!! They make up for it all with higher rates during busy times.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
It's true

I just booked a 10 day trip for two at an AI for less money than I spent on the last 7 day trip just for me, alone on airfare, lodging, food and drinks. I saved enough to afford a solo golf weekend there with my buddies before we go.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've seen some amazing deals out there - and the trouble in Jamaica is bound to scare tourists away. Hopefully many of them will switch to the DR, especially with the attractive IA packages.

AE

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
no bag fees for us

Any luggage restrictions? ;)

I'm flying AA. No checked baggage fee (2 per person, under 50 lbs. each) for international flights and 1 carry on plus 1 handbag (laptop/ pocketbook/ napsack).

Now if my destination was San Juan or Miami or USVI that would be an extra $120 (as of May 3rd 2010).

Baggage Allowance

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
we are in shoulder season - generally the time when people do not or CANNOT travel - kind of like you.

So the tour operators put everything on sale because most agreements they guarantee a number of rooms per week and a number of plane seats per trip. Better to fill at lower rates then have empty!!!! They make up for it all with higher rates during busy times.

The only reason I cannot travel now is that I am taking redundancy at the end of June, no other reason. If I wasn't I would have grabbed this deal with both hands. I still think this is astonishingly cheap. The main UK tour operators all have heavy room allocations in the hotels all year round, I would imagine they have cut a lot of these back. For some reason the Puerto Plata Village hotel is consistently bargain priced and yet the reviews remain pretty good, unlike some of the other cheaper hotels in Playa Dorada. :ermm:

I don't know if you are a Brit, but we tend to have our hols all year round. High Season for us is July and August when the children are off school. Many people avoid this time for that very reason! A number of people in my office have already taken a break in the last couple of months. Those that go long haul are tending to book for the USA, Cuba or Egypt. Other short haul destinations are beginning to be popular again despite the problems with the Euro.

A few years ago the DR was in the top 5 holiday destinations for Brits, now it doesn't even figure in the top 10. When I returned to the UK five years ago it was very common to hear that people had taken a holiday in the DR and decided not to return for differing reasons.
Even though I love the country and the people, as an ex holiday rep I can also see it through other peoples eyes as well and can understand why they may feel this way.

Anyway, musings over. ;)

Rio

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Certainly we have ebb and flow to our "seasons" effected by so many different things. For example: the issues in Jamaica may help our numbers as individuals don't feel comfortable booking their vacations there.

And the "seasons" will vary by actual location here in the DR.

The north coast / POP has high season from about Dec 20th to just after Easter - a bit longer when Easter is earlier. BUT have a really cold cold winter in North America and it could extend.

Our shoulder season usually runs from just after Easter to June 15th or 20th.

Our 2nd "high Season" runs June 15th ish to early September. That is when we get more Brits and Europeans.

This is followed by another shoulder season from early September to Dec 20th or so.

The depth of the highs and lows in our seasons is effected as well by all the things we cannot control - climate - world economy - world events etc.

But we can control how we run our hotels, how the government manages it's PR, laws on investments etc etc.

I've never stayed at Puerto Plata Village so cannot comment on that. Hotels in Playa Dorada have been closing for "renovation" here and reopened anywhere from 3 to 9 months later with or without "renovations". For some it is cost cutting. It is expensive here to keep a hotel open at 10% occupancy or less.

As a tourist I would not travel here or anywhere else when everyone else did. I preferred the quiet time for the fact the hotels were not full AND I enjoyed the significant savings.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
flying in to POP thursday morning 3 june. i have also seen that AI prices are cheaper than me booking seperately. guess i'll have to live without the animation team :ermm:

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Hi Kyle, Long time No speak!

I have to say that I would much rather stay in a small hotel in town, but the prices have risen sharply and yet the AI's have reduced their prices. As tambo' puts it - a "no brainer" even if I just eat and sleep (perhaps) in the AI and out and about for the rest of the time.

Have a good trip.

Rio

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

I have to say that I would much rather stay in a small hotel in town, but the prices have risen sharply and yet the AI's have reduced their prices. As tambo' puts it - a "no brainer" even if I just eat and sleep (perhaps) in the AI and out and about for the rest of the time.

Have a good trip.

Rio

I do not eat/drink or sleep in AI's miamol.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Yep, I guessed as much Tambo' - not quite your style, is it? :cheeky:

I prefer el campo for the weekend @ minovias house. I get treated like el rey for the price of a few pollo, a bag of rice, and some a?ejo!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006

Have a good trip.

Rio

i could have done that, stayed at the AI and then got me a small room for those "other" activities. but me and AI's just don't see eye to eye anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.