Airport transportation

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Would like information on airport transportation out of of Puerto Plata Airport (pop)..to the beaches.

I know they have buses and private taxis, would appreciate names and rates.

thanks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are taxis. Only buses are those sent by hotels to pick up their guests that are scheduled to arrive.

There is a thread in the archives on taxi rates from POP airport that you will find in you search

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
thanks, I still think $25 is too much for a 15 min ride. :ermm:

There are less expensive means of transport miamol!
28c3r45.jpg

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
thanks, I still think $25 is too much for a 15 min ride. :ermm:

Forget about these greedy lazy bustards idling all day in their car waiting for a gringo.

If you do not have too many maletas walk 300 yards down to carretera and stop a carro publico (exactly same taxi). To Sosua it will cost you 30-50 pesos ( $1.00 - $1.50).

Carros publicos go each 10-15 minutes so you do not have to wait long.

North Coast and Sosua are full of tourist traps - try to avoid them as much as possible please.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Different range of customer = different range of service... That's the way it is; The guy in the motoconcho book a 15. dollars room / day and enjoy his vacation with a very tight budget. Others tourist pay 250. / night in a nice resort and tip the driver with a twenty Dollars bill.

El sol sale para todos.

JJ

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
Never noticed but are there any Motoconchos by the entrance to the airport by were you pay to park that say if you didnt want to walk to the main road would take you.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
Never noticed but are there any Motoconchos by the entrance to the airport by were you pay to park that say if you didnt want to walk to the main road would take you.

No, they are abit further, in the beginning of the parking lot. Sitting in the shade. They wear an orange uniform. Normally motoconcho from POP to Sosua is 100 peso. Or 150 for two passengers. Nobody in his/her right mind will pay $25US for a 5 minutes ride to Sosua. It`s crazy.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Forget about these greedy lazy bustards idling all day in their car waiting for a gringo.

If you do not have too many maletas walk 300 yards down to carretera and stop a carro publico (exactly same taxi). To Sosua it will cost you 30-50 pesos ( $1.00 - $1.50).

Carros publicos go each 10-15 minutes so you do not have to wait long.

North Coast and Sosua are full of tourist traps - try to avoid them as much as possible please.

Ayyy will think about it, I am travelling light, is it safe? what if I call a taxi company once i get there, would that work?

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Ayyy will think about it, I am travelling light, is it safe? what if I call a taxi company once i get there, would that work?
Nop, the POP taxi union will stop other taxi drivers from boarding a passenger in the terminal, you have to arrange your pick up in advance so that the driver wait for you with a welcome sign with your name on it.
you can try, contact "Tecni Taxi" local radio dispatcher.

JJ

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Nop, the POP taxi union will stop other taxi drivers from boarding a passenger in the terminal, you have to arrange your pick up in advance so that the driver wait for you with a welcome sign with your name on it.
you can try, contact "Tecni Taxi" local radio dispatcher.

JJ

I often have a Tecni Taxi driver pick me up from the POP airport. As I understand the rules, they cannot linger looking for a fare, but can pick up someone if called.

MAR, the dispatch number for Tecni Taxi in Puerto Plata is 809-320-7621 but I really think you'd be better off calling a local Sos?a taxi.

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
There is no need to call anyone the Vultures are there by the dozens waiting to claw.
At this time of year you can get a cheaper taxi because it is low season.
Either you pay the 25 bucks or you walk to the street and pay 25 pesos, no need to pre-plan this. Plus calling someone and then being delayed cause a whole new set of problems. They are going to stroke you for more because they had to wait 3 hours, you dont need any of these pain in the ass problem when starting your vacation.
And M.A.R. Iam stunned that you are a gold member and have nearly 3000 posts and fan figure out how to get from the airport to wherever you are going???
What's that all about?

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I often have a Tecni Taxi driver pick me up from the POP airport. As I understand the rules, they cannot linger looking for a fare, but can pick up someone if called.

MAR, the dispatch number for Tecni Taxi in Puerto Plata is 809-320-7621 but I really think you'd be better off calling a local Sos?a taxi.

Yes you are right, but I prefer the camouflage of a welcome sign better than the logo of a company as I always expect the worse from those guys.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007

Profe, do you teach English at a Catholic school in Pto. Pta?

JJ

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
There is no need to call anyone the Vultures are there by the dozens waiting to claw.
At this time of year you can get a cheaper taxi because it is low season.
Either you pay the 25 bucks or you walk to the street and pay 25 pesos, no need to pre-plan this. Plus calling someone and then being delayed cause a whole new set of problems. They are going to stroke you for more because they had to wait 3 hours, you dont need any of these pain in the ass problem when starting your vacation.
And M.A.R. Iam stunned that you are a gold member and have nearly 3000 posts and fan figure out how to get from the airport to wherever you are going???
What's that all about?

lol I always had someone pick me up, except for one time where we took a cab to Playa Dorada and it was $25.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Profe, do you teach English at a Catholic school in Pto. Pta?

JJ

I did teach English in a Catholic setting, but am now involved with other things. A friend of mine does the English classes.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I did teach English in a Catholic setting, but am now involved with other things. A friend of mine does the English classes.
Just curios if you are the same lady I drove from STI to P.P.
I'm sorry, I didn't used the PM to do this.

JJ

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
So I called Tecni Taxi from POP to Playa Dorada, paid 500 pesos, its about a ten min ride. Hipolito was my driver #364

going back to the airport Pedro drove me #44, older nice man very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.