Electricity Costs, Santo Domingo

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I am about to move into my first apartment where I have to pay the electricity costs. This is an almost impossible question to answer as we all use different amounts of electricity (obviously), but I would like to have a ballpark for my security of mind after hearing nightmares about electricity costs here.
Maybe tell me what you have and the average monthly costs.
Also if someone could tell me how to convert the meter units myself so I can keep an eye on how much I am paying per unit, just to be sure I am not being stiffed. The landlord doesnt require I open an account with the electricity company, only he pays and passes on the receipt to me.

Many thanks.

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
power costs

approximate residental costs~

the first 700 kwh are cheaper - about 7 pesos /kwh
after that it goes up to 10 pesos per kwh

but this could all be different if your landlord has a generator, and then charges you based on their cost

basically without a/c normal consumption for a person is about $100/month. add in a/c, pool, lots of hot water, and you can be into $300

hope this helps!

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I am about to move into my first apartment where I have to pay the electricity costs. This is an almost impossible question to answer as we all use different amounts of electricity (obviously), but I would like to have a ballpark for my security of mind after hearing nightmares about electricity costs here.
Maybe tell me what you have and the average monthly costs.
Also if someone could tell me how to convert the meter units myself so I can keep an eye on how much I am paying per unit, just to be sure I am not being stiffed. The landlord doesnt require I open an account with the electricity company, only he pays and passes on the receipt to me.

Many thanks.

I live in zona colonial,3 bedroom...2 tvs,computer,4 fans,2 fridge,microwave,2 expresso coffee machines,inverter...my bill runs about 1200 pesos a month.I have a portable air conditioner,if I use it,as I did last month for probably 3 nights,my bill went to 1700 pesos...
bob

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I live in zona colonial,3 bedroom...2 tvs,computer,4 fans,2 fridge,microwave,2 expresso coffee machines,inverter...my bill runs about 1200 pesos a month.I have a portable air conditioner,if I use it,as I did last month for probably 3 nights,my bill went to 1700 pesos...
bob

That's about the same for me here in Los Cacicazgos.
In view of the way that the electricity supply bill is structured with a progressive tariff, often a small saving in consumption can make a big difference to the bottom line at the end of the month.

And don't default on payment - they will disconnect you within 24 hours of the payment date and reconnect you only 24 hours after they receive proof of payment - disconnection and reconnection charges are high.
Good luck.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
YOu have some good and some incorrect information.,
The electricity distributors have reduced the number of kw/h that are subsidized to 299 per month.
What does this mean? For poor families, who do not have fridges or water heaters or a/c units, pay a few hundred a month.
However, once you hit 300 kw/h, ALL of the kw/h are charged at US$0.24 cents a kw/h.
However, there are rumors that this will go up now that the PLD have total control of the country.
AC units are the biggest villans in the consumption of electricity.

Good Luck,

HB