Dominican time warp

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
A while back I ordered some shoes to be specially made from Timberland. They said it would take some time for delivery. I assumed that was because Timberland has factories in China and the shoes would probably come via container ship. Well, last week I got an email notice from FedEx saying my shoes were on their way from, of all places, Santiago! I used the FedEx computerized tracking system and watched as it took FedEx three days to get my shoes from Santiago to the Las Americas airport in Santo Domingo. Then it took three more days for them to get the shoes on to one of their daily flights to Memphis. At that point it only took them over night to get the shoes to me in New England. I think I can see why my favorite brand of shorts which used to be made in the D.R. now come from Costa Rica. I know that Dominicans are masters at milking every last peso out of a situation but my question is, who profits and how do they profit by making a few hour trip last for six days? How can an efficient transportation company like FedEx condone something like that.

By the way, the shoes are really nice and I spent most of the wait in the D.R. wearing out my flip flops anyway.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I doubt Timberland paid more than US25 for the package to be shipped, and possibly considerably less. Therefore, at such cheap rates the package is not going to be a priority.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Thats sort of my point. You really have to put in some effort to make a trip from Santiago to Santo Domingo last for three days. It would be easier and cheaper to just toss the package in a van headed to the airport.

Last edited:

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The whole delay is probably a container capacity percentage issue. The pallet doesn't leave until it's full, the truck doesn't leave until it's full. The cargo bin doesn't leave until it's full, the plane doesn't leave until it's full,,,,,,....once they get to Memphis everything's running full capacity all the time and the process speeds up.

FedEx Frieght and FedEx Air (separate companies) can't make any money shipping half empty boxes.

Reactions: peep2

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
A bit off-topic I know, but I'd to know-

Can I get my Timberlands in Santiago factory direct? If so, what would be the price?

Or would I have to know someone, like a manager in the factory?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
It is interesting to see how they are so expensive here considering they are made here, I pay twice the price here I pay in UK. A guy from the local Calmado sells them for 1800pesos, although I have always doubted they are genuine, but now I know they are made here, maybe they are the real deal.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
A bit off-topic I know, but I'd to know-

Can I get my Timberlands in Santiago factory direct? If so, what would be the price?

Or would I have to know someone, like a manager in the factory?

I know someone who works there. I ll ask her when she gets off later tonight. I figure there must be a company store on the premises. If anything to at least sell off the seconds and irregulars.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
no. no factory store but they do have several of these timberland stores which sell 2nds and irregular throughout the city. Average boot price 1500pesos.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
dont mean to be smart ass but it is called 'island time' as we all know

As Forest Gump said "stupid is, as stupid does"

Better yet lets time major road construction so that it affects the major intersections on the two largest arteries JFK and 27de Feb, blocking the busiest of routes...And lets do it for months and see if anyone cares.

Forest said it best!!! but apologies thats a different topic alltogether.