moving

wrightmandaddy

May 27, 2010
will be retiring in 6months,i have already brought a house in a.hondo, what i need is information on several things so be prepared,1) i was told i can bring a car duty free as long as it"s not older than 5years,i was told i can bring my household goods regardless of there condition,meaning new tv"s frig,oven etc with out paying the duty on both my goods or the car,the name of a good respondsible mover that will take care of everything from n.y. to santo domingo ok now for the other information,i am part dominican ny born my wife is dominican but has been out of the loop for many years,the house is paid for,this our first move and we have never shipped anything before this,also a good bank where i can have my retirement income sent,wired etc any and all information would be great.many thanks to you all louis

wrightmandaddy

May 27, 2010
hi thanks i own a 2009 lexus what kind of tax are we talking about,i was told that if you were planning to move with the intent of living there you were allowed a one time exemption,need to know if it pays to bring my car etc thanks

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
To bring a container (it can also contain your car) in with a tax exoneration you need to have it here with in 6 months of your residency. Otherwise it is a full boat on the taxes.
Cars are still very expensive to bring in even wtih the exoneration. Just your fisrt lic. for the car is $2000 US. I brought a car and am not sure i would do it again.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Bob K

wrightmandaddy

May 27, 2010
thank you for your input,i have a few more questions maybe you can give me the answers, we have a new fridge,gas range,tvs etc that we would like to bring with us are there any tax or import problems with these items? about the car it's payed for and even if i sold it i would not get what i paided for it plus i was told that cars there cost twice as much as the msrp which means that if i brought the same car there and used the proceeds from the sale of the original car i still would have to pay a lot,wouldnt i be ahead if i shipped it i mean you said about $2000 compared to maybe 10x that amount help fill in the blanks thats again for the info it is helping

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think I would keep your US bank account and have your retirement checks deposited there, Just in Case. You can easily establish a relationship with one of the major Casa de Cambio to change your checks. You will be screwed if you ever bounce one, but besides that you get a better deal. You can then open accounts at local banks in local funds and use debit cards to avoid carrying a lot of cash around.

HB

wrightmandaddy

May 27, 2010
you did say dollars?this is with the moving exemption?i was under the impression that i would be able to bring my car with the move to live there happlly ever after,what about my fridge ,tv's gas ranger,washer .again many thanks for all these imputs

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Did I see somewhere that you have to have owned the car for a minimum of 12 months? If so, have you had it that long OP?

wrightmandaddy

May 27, 2010
nope no one has asked, and yes i would have owned it for 1 year next month,the only thing i heard is i have to complete the shipping within the 6months after i arrive to live there for the exemption on the container and the goods in it

Jan 9, 2004
Your exemption under Ley 168...

hi thanks i own a 2009 lexus what kind of tax are we talking about,i was told that if you were planning to move with the intent of living there you were allowed a one time exemption,need to know if it pays to bring my car etc thanks

(incentives to move to DR) means you only have to pay $16,500 USD, instead of $$25,000 USD!! This does not include your transportation, insurance and the miscellaneous fees/bribes that will be necessary to get the job done once it gets to port.

Be aware the vehicle may not be exported if there is a lien holder (think loan) listed on the title.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

wrightmandaddy

May 27, 2010
there are no liens etc on my car,i own it.cant believe i will wind up selling it,i have seen what"s on super carros ,it"s like a bad dream,any recommendations on dealers who can be trusted both on a good deal,and not selling faulty or lemon cars

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
The info on the car costs are pretty correct so think long and hard on that one.
As for new items. You are supposed to import only used houshold itmes. However we had new applliances, stoves, ceiling fans, electronics etc on the container and our agent here had no problem with it. Maybe we were lucky.

Bob K

wrightmandaddy

May 27, 2010
thanks don't know if i should laugh or cry,was thinking about cutting up the car and bringing it in in pieces haha,ok now to future problem at hand an auto if i dont bring mine any good guys there,no mileage rollbacks,salvage,flooded,etc carfax wont do me any good on that side so i just need a stand up type of dealer with an assortment of cars to choose from,also can't beleve that Montero is the only moving firm recommened anybody use any of the santo domingo invita guys for moving etc.thanks again everyone getting a handle on this is easier with the info iam getting

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just goes to show you how short sighted these idiots are! You want to attract the retirees, so you absolutely tell them to kiss axx with $25K for taxes ontheir own cars?? How freaking stupid can you be??
It's like the $150 in taxes on each airplane ticket. Can you imagine the increase in pax if they were to lop $100 off of that?>??? Jet Blue, AA and Sprint would be full all year round!!! Imagine I could fly R/t to FLL for under 100 dollars!!! Now who would not take that trip a few more times a year???
Can anyone give me a good reason NOT to lower those taxes and tariffs??

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Teodulo Aquino is another highly recommended mover. Check him out, too, while you are at it.

HB

wrightmandaddy

May 27, 2010
Have you got mr aquinos number will give him a call does he do door to door ny -dr.any one how long for elect and water take to be up and running guess i need to set that up first candles only get you so far.now that i have to sell my lexus any good trusty old fashioned car dealers haha to borrow a line from the godfather just when i think i am out they pull me back in thanks again

Mar 1, 2009
Those prices are horrible!! There is also a company called Embarque Colonial, compare rates between them and montero chippi....