My 24 year old brother looking for work- Highly Recommended

Hello,

Note: I posted this in another thread but then realized it is probably more visible in this forum

I currently live in Washington Heights, NYC but visit my family in Santiago at least twice a year. I am planning to go down there in July and spoke to my older brother on the phone last night about what's new down there.

He currently sells insurance for a company in Santiago, but is looking for more work/ a new job as they don't give him enough hours because they are a very small company. The bodega he worked for at night has recently closed. He is 24 years old, lives in Santiago, but is willing to relocate if a job offer is available. Extremely hardworking, dedicated to his work and family, very friendly, and reliable. Has a car and a motorcycle and is highly capable to do both physical labor (farm, factory, household etc) or office work. He will not argue about pay, and will work as many hours as you need him. I can provide you with his resume, letters of recommendation, and contact information as well as my information.

I am a Marketing and Business Development Manager for an Architecture and design firm here in Manhattan and understand how frustrating it can be to find employees who will do the work no questions asked, to their best ability day in and day out. I'd love to speak with anyone who is willing to at least try him out in a position. I'm willing to fly down there if you'd feel more comfortable speaking with an english/spanish speaker first to sort out the details, sign any contracts if necessary, etc. He will not need housing but again, is willing to relocate for any offers.

Thanks in advance for your consideration, I look forward to hearing from anyone who might be interested in employing him.

baby bori

May 18, 2010
with your stroke as a marketing and business development manager for an architecture and design firm here in the US you should have more connections in the DR. you certainly must have networking contacts or professional firm connections in santiago or throughout the DR. use your muscle within your position as a manager and try to impress the businesses in the DR start networking to build professional and reliable contacts in the DR which will increase the likelihood of your brother finding a stable competitive income producing job. you say you visit your family twice a year well during one of these visits attempt to attain professional contacts and networking relationships with different types of businesses and people to help your brother its just a suggestion!!!!

baby_bori

I 100% agree with you. I've been speaking with family friends throughout DR but many of the places just don't have the budget for another employee right now. I've offered to pay for his first month's pay as part of a contract but it seems a lot of businesses are struggling to stay afloat in Santiago right now and are hesitant to add another employee to their payroll (which is completely understandable).

I'm planning to go down there in July, so hopefully I can do more networking for him then. In the past I've foolishly only used DR for vacationing/ visiting family and always put business aside but am looking to get the ball rolling for my brother now. As a college graduate with such a position in a world-renowned design firm I hope my fellow Dominicans will hear me out and trust my recommendation!

There are family members who I would never recommend for a job because of their poor work ethic/reliability but my brother is so dedicated and capable that I'm really hoping to find something better for him. He's not expecting to earn US salary right now, just simply wants to earn a living wage and work as much as possible for his wife and beautiful children :)

baby bori

May 18, 2010
jowahi5116 I respect and admireyour desire and aspirations to assist your brother in getting a respectable job where hopefully he could earn a decent income according to our standards in the US. I've been to the DR many times and I know people overthere who say the payscale is terrible. Would you consider trying to assist or sponsor him for some sort of temporary work visa to come to the US so he could make better income overhere and send the money to his wife for the children? Let's face it unless you have some type of underground shady connection(illegal operations), or have a high profit generating business like a carwash, bar, disco, banca de loteria, etc. its still going to be tough to earn good income even by their standards overthere. I know an accountant and lawyer who make $10,000 pesos and $15,000 pesos per monthly respectively translates into approx. $274 US dollars and $411 US dollars. Like I mentioned before unless your brother has some sort of professional connection with one of the big wigs in those companies his income will not be much better if that. Does he ever mention to you about starting up some type of small business?? Does he have an entreprenuerial spirit to attempt to do so???

baby bori

May 18, 2010
jowahi5116 what a hardworking respectable honorable( not shady nor corrupt) professional employee earns in the DR extremely pales in comparison to US standards as we have become accustomed to unfortunate but true!!! Its sad!!

I'd love for him to get a temporary work visa to the US but from what I've been told, its nearly impossible to get one. There are plenty of places here in Manhattan that would most likely hire him but in most cases, he'd need to get here first.

Yeah the median income in DR is awful for the amount of work most people do, its frustrating but a reflection of the economic climate and how most businesses operate.

If anyone does have any up to date information on temporary work visas to the US from DR, please share.

I think at this point he's just looking to at least have a decent amount of work hours somewhere as right now he's not working close to enough in order to pay for the necessities.

Chip, I'd love to see him get a degree (as would he) but as the only person working in his household, this is not possible right now. I'd gladly pay for him to get into a program but then there are other expenses on top of that (food, the house, kids stuff, etc) that he needs money for. I do send money over there when its really needed but I dont want any family members to become dependent on that.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I honestly don't see a lot of hope unless your brother is lucky and hooks up with someone good. There is just too much competition now and anymore people are looking for college grads.

Like I said, even a technical degree would help him land a job for example as a technician at Codetel. They do pretty good as far as lesser formally educated Dominicans go - around 20k monthly.

You brother does have a car so maybe he should try to get into sales.

On the contrary, you could temporarily quit helping him with money and save it instead so you could start your brother a business in 5 or so years.

Just remember, life here moves at a slow pace so 5 years is nothing - Dominicans are very patient. Also, remember that complaining is a national pastime here yet everytime you see someone here you hadn't seen in a while ellos siempre se parecen mas gordos y colorados. :)