Who is poisoning school children? And why?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I must be braindead, can't seem to find anything relating to your post on either paper.
But I did find one very interesting story, Santiago man endures 25 day erection.
Now that's news..........

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
Investigations into sabotage of school meals
posted on: May 26 2010 7:48 by Royston. Viewed 13 times.

Unrated

Intelligence agencies are investigating the source of the poisoning being caused by the school breakfast. Minister of Education, Melanio Paredes has raised suspicions of deliberate tampering with the meals resulting in sickness and diarrhea in around 200 children from 17 different schools.
Furthermore, Paredes requested authorization of President Leonel Fernandez to request technical assistance from the World Food Programme, the Pan American Health Organization and Unicef for a process of re-evaluation of school breakfast. With their help he hopes to guarantee the continuity and quality of products served in school meals.

Paredes said he did not rule out sabotage as many tests had been carried out on the supply chain and no problems had been found. Despite various control measures having been put in place, children are still getting sick and , for this reason, Paredes said he was seeking outside help.

The official said that the epidemiological investigations carried out on flavored milk and juice distributed in the school breakfast showed that it was possible some pupils had an intolerance to a substance which has not yet been identified. It was not known whether this substance was present accidentally or if it had been intentionally introduced into the meals.

He stressed that tests indicated that there is no evidence of any microorganisms in the food.

9 related news articles
Supplies of milk and juice suspended from all schools: May 8 2010
8 more kids become sick after school milk: May 7 2010
LADOM milk withdrawn from schools, again: Apr 30 2010
School milk blamed again for 300 sick children: Apr 27 2010
More cases of school milk food poisoning: Mar 11 2010
School milk to be replaced with juice: Mar 10 2010
Bread strike threatened: Feb 10 2010

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Simple fix - send your kid to school with their own juice - just like we do everyday.

Then again this isn't a widespread problem so quite worrying so much.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Just look and what people do with phony motor oil. These contracts are probably low bid and slow pay by the government. The vendors are probably cutting corners and the government knows and won't do anything about it because they guys in charge are getting a "piece of the action" if you know what I mean.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Although possible I doubt that there is any intentional poisoning going on. Perhaps some of these products are not stored properly and are affected negatively by the heat. Perhaps there is a number of children allergic to milk products...etc. What I'm saying is the products where children have got sick need to be analysed. After all not everyone that drank/ate got sick. The numbers are large enough to call for an investigation but not large enough to say all the products are poisoning children. Has anyone died or been hospitalized for more that a couple of days? I 'm not trying to minimize the problem but no need to blow it out of proportion.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This thread is being given a second chance in the Living forum as it is not a North Coast specific issue.

I took out all the posts with pointless bickering and would like to ask posters to keep to topic.

The poisoning cases affect the government school breakfast programme in state schools in several parts of the country.

I think there are several explanations, in order of plausibility:

The most obvious - negligence, cutting corners to save costs, etc. on the part of Ladom, the dairy company.
Possibly sabotage by a rival company to deprive Ladom of the lucrative government contract, said to have been awarded due to nepotism in the first place.
The least likely, IMO: Random malicious sabotage by a psycho to harm kids.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If kids are getting sick the bacteria or substance can be easily identified.

Any news as to what it is?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
This thread is being given a second chance in the Living forum as it is not a North Coast specific issue.

I took out all the posts with pointless bickering and would like to ask posters to keep to topic.

The poisoning cases affect the government school breakfast programme in state schools in several parts of the country.

The most obvious - negligence, cutting corners to save costs, etc. on the part of Ladom, the dairy company.
Possibly sabotage by a rival company to deprive Ladom of the lucrative government contract, said to have been awarded due to nepotism in the first place.

Agreed, plus bobs point on improper storage, might fit somewhere in your list.

Although I would have thought that the milk would be UHT which should mean no bacteria at all unless its not sealed properly.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

Given the "no pasa nada" and "yo no fui" "culture" so prevalent, paired with recklessness and corruption: Criminal negligence seems the most likely scenario, but the least likely to be "found", for the exact same reason(s).
I even doubt "we" will ever hear about the "investigation's" findings... it'll just fade away.

... J-D.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
maybe no-one got poisoned and the rumour was spread so that they had a reason to stop the free breakfasts and save money - call me cynical