Free internet (trick)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
So here is another small gadget from dr1 tech department. Your host AZB (the producer of ghetto fixes).
There have been cases where I have been traveling and unable to get internet due to not having a wifi nearby or not having wifi at all. My old laptop doesn't catch wifi very well in most places. I have been stuck in some places in colombia and recently even in usa. I was surprised to see some people (in usa) just don't have wifi in the house, they use a modem and pc hardwired to the modem. damn, no wifi and the neighbor's open connection was bit too far for my laptop to catch on.
Ok, so you get my drift: here is the solution.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
now search for
alfa AWUS036H 1000mw usb wifi modem.
AWUS036H-1.gif

its so strong that it will pull in wifi station that you didn't know existed in your area. It will catch wifi networks from far far away and many of them will be open networks (no security). I am connected to a neighbor's wifi for a few minutes to bring forth my proof. I was unable to catch this router before. i didn't even know it existed. Imagine in SD area with lots of apartment building around. You will sure catch more than 15 routers at a time and 3 will be open. In usa, it will be sure shot deal as internet is super fast and people will not know if you are connected or not as opposed slow DR internets. I am using the +9db antenna but a more powerful external antenna can be installed to catch far away wifi routers. This little wifi device is just incredible. perfect for a huge house where wifi router can't reach all corners. Its prefect for travel because, chances are, you will be able to catch a few open networks near you. This is a super powerful wifi device and works like a charm.
This is perfect for hackers to crack wep security. Remember, its against the law to crack wifi security keys.
Oh and I think if a person open up his/her router and openly broadcasts his internet for anyone to catch, then there is no harm in me connecting to it. If they want to exclude me from logging on to their router, then they can put in a security key. Its simple as that. Now I hope some of you moral/ethical police would stay off my back.

AZB

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Time for a new forum "ghetto techno" with AZB as the Mod!

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
....Oh and I think if a person open up his/her router and openly broadcasts his internet for anyone to catch, then there is no harm in me connecting to it. If they want to exclude me from logging on to their router, then they can put in a security key. Its simple as that. Now I hope some of you moral/ethical police would stay off my back.

AZB

Electrical Engineer
Back Cracker Extraordinaire
Legal Loophole Leaper
Pashtun Poet

What's not to like?

He doesn't 'get' dogs. Ok there's that but as long as he stays out of the doggie threads I for one can live and let live.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
HP Mini 1116NR Notebook PC - Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz Processor - 1 GB RAM - 16 GB Hard Drive - Wireless - 8.9-inch Display - XP Home

Paid less than $200 with shipping (techforless.com)

Factory refurb. Got it primarily for travel. Now instead of a PC bag with a 17" laptop I pull this little fellow (8.9") out of a side pocket on my carry-on roller. External CDROM reader is $20. Thumb drive (4G) another $20.

The only drawback is that now I have to get new glasses and I'm going on a finger diet soon.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
there is even a more powerfull one

Alfa Network AWUS036NH 2000mw

in the tests, it didn't perform better than the previous one. You would need 2 usb to power this up. Remember, if you amplify the signal too much, you also amplify the distortion.

AZB

elglobie

May 16, 2010
in the tests, it didn't perform better than the previous one. You would need 2 usb to power this up. Remember, if you amplify the signal too much, you also amplify the distortion.

AZB

You are using the antenna on the picture you posted ?

Did you try it with an external antenna , if so, which one, did it deliver much better results ?

elglobie

May 16, 2010
How much % of the routers are open in the DR ? (just an estimation)

A friend of mine has this equipment and I checked for power consumption, about 3 Watt and this for the model 36H which should only pull 1 Watt ...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You are using the antenna on the picture you posted ?

Did you try it with an external antenna , if so, which one, did it deliver much better results ?

its not my set-up picture, just some picture I pulled from internet. I use the +9dbi tall antenna. At first, both the +5dbi (small antenna) and the bigger +9dbi antenna seem to pull in the same number of networks but when you actually connect with a network, you will see the bigger antenna does a better job of staying connected. So I say, stick to the bigger antenna. Now you must try to connect from a windows instead of going through concrete walls. This will kill the strength of the signal of the broadcasting networks. In the open air (example: balconies, windows or even out-doors) it works best. If you add the external 16 +dbi yagi antenna with cable, you will be able to catch networks from far far away.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
How much % of the routers are open in the DR ? (just an estimation)

A friend of mine has this equipment and I checked for power consumption, about 3 Watt and this for the model 36H which should only pull 1 Watt ...

I doubt if it is 3 watts. The single usb connector on a laptop can't drive this power without damaging the port. maximum usb 2 port power is 500ma @ 5 volts DC.
I tried this unit in 4 different places and I was able to connect in 3 with open networks. My home area doesn't have many routers to begin with. Most people who live here are old so I guess they are not so computer savvy. Now if I put up an antenna on the roof (yagi type) I am sure I will pull in many networks.
Seems like santiago people are smarter than capital folks because it so happens, I have noticed that majority of people in capital use WEP security on their routers which can be easily cracked yet in santiago, more than 50% of folks use the more advanced security code WPA.
AZB

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
So here is another small gadget from dr1 tech department. Your host AZB (the producer of ghetto fixes).
There have been cases where I have been traveling and unable to get internet due to not having a wifi nearby or not having wifi at all. My old laptop doesn't catch wifi very well in most places. I have been stuck in some places in colombia and recently even in usa. I was surprised to see some people (in usa) just don't have wifi in the house, they use a modem and pc hardwired to the modem. damn, no wifi and the neighbor's open connection was bit too far for my laptop to catch on.
Ok, so you get my drift: here is the solution.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
now search for
alfa AWUS036H 1000mw usb wifi modem.
AWUS036H-1.gif

its so strong that it will pull in wifi station that you didn't know existed in your area. It will catch wifi networks from far far away and many of them will be open networks (no security). I am connected to a neighbor's wifi for a few minutes to bring forth my proof. I was unable to catch this router before. i didn't even know it existed. Imagine in SD area with lots of apartment building around. You will sure catch more than 15 routers at a time and 3 will be open. In usa, it will be sure shot deal as internet is super fast and people will not know if you are connected or not as opposed slow DR internets. I am using the +9db antenna but a more powerful external antenna can be installed to catch far away wifi routers. This little wifi device is just incredible. perfect for a huge house where wifi router can't reach all corners. Its prefect for travel because, chances are, you will be able to catch a few open networks near you. This is a super powerful wifi device and works like a charm.
This is perfect for hackers to crack wep security. Remember, its against the law to crack wifi security keys.
Oh and I think if a person open up his/her router and openly broadcasts his internet for anyone to catch, then there is no harm in me connecting to it. If they want to exclude me from logging on to their router, then they can put in a security key. Its simple as that. Now I hope some of you moral/ethical police would stay off my back.

AZB

Hi AZB,
Have followed your advice & bought one from the US Ebay site. The shipping to the UK is reasonable so will keep my fingers crossed it performs as per your comments.
It will be installed on the Dell laptop when we return to Sosua in October.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Try using it in a place where you have clean view of the target internet router. Outside in the balcony is good, but if you are outside of the house without any obstructions of walls, its the best.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Will do & once again thanks for the info :)
Ian & Ellie

Your welcome.
Since you are in UK, you might as well buy the x-mini ll tiny speaker for the laptop, smartphone or ipod. This small tiny device is just incredible and its english made. You would be able to buy it locally. Make sure its the red speaker cone black ball type model (2nd generation). This small tiny speaker will amaze you if connected to laptop or ipod. Excellent device for travel when you need your own music.

XMini2_01.jpg

XMini_II_400px.jpg

DSCF0048small.jpg

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, just conected the alfa wireless modem in my girlfriend's apartment in santo domingo. she lives in a nice area where her building is surrounded by many other buildings. I put the +9dbi antenna in the balcony and wow, I received like 20 wireless networks. 5 of them were open (no security) and she could connect to 3 of them clearly. We chose 2 networks which are stable and fairly fast.
Now she has internet for free.
Remember, if I could crack WEP code, i can get like 15 networks to her, for free.
AZB