Malaria

momsonbeaches

May 17, 2010
Hi
will be going to Punta Cana in July.
I read that there is a risk of Malaria in the resorts.
could some let me know how possible this is?
don't the resorts spray for mosquitos?
thanks for you help:surprised

Silenus

Mar 20, 2009
Hi Welcome to the forums.

Not sure if this is the right section to post that, this part is for the North Coast area of the DR.

You might have better luck getting answers of this topic in the East Coast section.

Personally I haven't heard anything about it but my location may be one of the reasons.

momsonbeaches

May 17, 2010
Hi
will be going to Punta Cana in July.
I read that there is a risk of Malaria in the resorts.
could some let me know how possible this is?
don't the resorts spray for mosquitos?
thanks for you help

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
malaria

We are coming to the north coast for the month of August....is there much of a risk of malaria on the north coast?

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
NO we have no risk reported at this time. And this is usually the case so don't worry.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Your risk of going home with severe sunburn far outweighs the risk of you going home with malaria...

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Dengue is the thingy to look on.
Malaria I never found as a real thingy here.
correct,
around 5 years back there been within a short time period some cases reproted, and then it went quiet again right away.
in case of Dengue we have cases every month and since a long while.
Mike

canuk8068

Sep 15, 2008
What's the big deal? The health department in Canada recommends you take the malaria pills. They are relatively inexpensive and most drug plans pay for them. If I remember correctly, you take one pill the week before you go then one pill a week while you are there and then one pill a week for a couple of weeks after you come home. Although they are bitter it is just one pill a week!

carib

Jul 16, 2002
relax

Hi all,
We have lived on both coasts for many years.....
Your chance of getting sick from food or getting Malaria..
well play the lotto....... you will not win lotto and you will not get sick visiting ...

PM me if you all have questions..... don't worry plan happy
carib

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
What's the big deal? The health department in Canada recommends you take the malaria pills. They are relatively inexpensive and most drug plans pay for them. If I remember correctly, you take one pill the week before you go then one pill a week while you are there and then one pill a week for a couple of weeks after you come home. Although they are bitter it is just one pill a week!

they are not just bitter as a pill, they usually provide also with sometimes very bitter sideeffects.
many Malaria Meds are highly adviced to NOT Combine with SUN and Alcohol and several specific kind of foodwise alimentations.

to not act accordingly to the recommendations while taking malaria Pills/Meds leads to the often published Topics about Food Poisenings, because People usually do not blame their Body's reaction on the Meds they took together with getting a Tan on the Beach and some Tasty Drinks at the Bar, they blame it on the Food then.

read carefully the long list of advices in the Pack of those Pills and talk to a professional Med about what can be consumed while under the influence of the Meds and what not, and what the sideeffects are , specially when not acting accordingly to the recommendations.

I don't know many visitors to our caribbean Island who have no prob to stay away from the SUN!

cheers
Mike

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Cancun over Punta Cana because of mosquitos

As mentioned above i just had a friend steer from Punta to Cancun as he had two travel agents in Canada mention there are many mosquitos and possible health risks that arise from them.

Is this true??? if not sadly it may affect some tourisn ops due to travel agents misinformation.

donP

Dec 14, 2008

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
the chance of catching malaria or a serious illness from mosquitos in the DR is probably about the same as catching the swine flu in Mexico - next to nil.