A trip to POP from Santiago

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Today I took a trip to the Puerto Plata region, Sos?a really, and I used two different routes going and coming.
I took the "tunnel" route on the way there and the Oh-My-God-They-Call-This-The-Tourist-Highway???? on the way back.

The main highway, as usual, was a mix of idiots and slow moving vehicles: Overloaded pickups, big trucks and buses. The rain made is a bit worse than normal, but I had taken my double dose of Patience Pill before leaving and, while it took way too long (1 1/2 hours to POP and a further 1/2 to Sos?a.), the road itself was fine.

Puerto Plata has sucessfully screwed up the four lane main avenue by allowing motoconcho drivers to park at the very intersections, thereby sucessfully blocking one entire lane, easing drivers into fits of anger, madness and just plain rudeness....50 yards in either direction, or on the sidewalk even and no problem...But POP is not known for intelligent urban planning.

On the way back, I decided to take the Carretera Tur?stica Gregorio Luper?n.
Not a good idea.

Nothing has been done on this road for years and now the rains have pretty much finished it off. It took me, driving slowly, I only have one little car, about 1:40 to cover those few kilometers. In fact I met less than 80 cars between La Gran Parada and La Cumbre de Juan Vera. (That includes motorcycles). Pitiful, my friends, just pitiful. From Sonador, Lajas and the other little place are just a mess of rocky, rutted cow paths.

From Y?sica to La Cumbre there are some good spots but dangerous spots too, like when you turn the corner at Sonador and BINGO! a huge bunch of holes and nowhere to go.

Finally, it is clear that the mountains are ceding. Near Gurabito de Yaroa for some 500 yards the roadway is moving down the mountain, and it is obvious.

After La Cumbre and La Cumbre de Juan Vera, the road is fine, but then the trip is over anyway...

SO: DO NOT TAKE THIS ROAD UNLESS YOU WANT TO TEST YOUR VEHICLE'S
testicles...

HB

Last edited:
May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
Thanks for reporting Hillbilly - was going to take that route in the next week or so, but now will avoid it - pretty as it is; you can't admire the view anyway unless plummeting down the mountain as you take in the vista was the intent. :disappoin

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
HB, thanks for the update. We were considering it for our next trip over the "hill". It is so sad. Four years ago from Sosua to Santiago (Light at Hache) it was an hour and 10 min.

It looks like the Mocca road for us and with the traffic in Tambril (sp) is is now about an hour and forty minutes.

Bob k

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As a point on interest: Of the 80 vehicles I grossed paths with, only 16 were motores..

HB

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
The road past us, up the mountain to La Cumbre (stop off for coffee or lunch at one of the restaurants), down to Moca and into Santiago is normally a pleasure. Not too busy, wonderful views and in a reasonable state of repair the last time we went that route.

Also, no need to go via Tamboril - just turn left at the filling station instead of right and will take you into Santiago via Juan Pablo Duarte.

Last edited:

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
La Turistica

Agree HB, the road is not so good these days...(putting it lightly). Roads in POP province were paved all over, even places with hardly any traffic like in Cangrejo, but the Turistica was not even touched, nada. Those people also vote? they wave flags.....I've complained, and no ears listen. It remains a verguenza and it could be a treasure. Could be one of the best scenic drives on the north coast.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Whirleybird: Sorry that is a major error! The road from Moca to Licey al Medio is totally HORRIBLE and unless you want to check your suspension, there is no reason on God's Green Earth to take that road until it is fixed.

The only way is right at that Nativa station and go straight to Santiago. Right now, anything else is just plain nuts...

HB

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Whirleybird: Sorry that is a major error! The road from Moca to Licey al Medio is totally HORRIBLE and unless you want to check your suspension, there is no reason on God's Green Earth to take that road until it is fixed.

The only way is right at that Nativa station and go straight to Santiago. Right now, anything else is just plain nuts...

HB

Oh, it was a bit 'holey' and therefore bumpy previously but, not bad enough to deter us from going that route, rather than Tamboril.... must have deteriorated a fair amount so will bear that in mind next time we have the need to go to Santiago. Thanks HB.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Wise move. They have torn it up previous to repaving, but rains, elections and normal
BS at Public Works have made it near impassable. You will need to schedule a dentist appoint ment to replace the fillings that fall out!! 12 kilometers of near perfect hell on wheels. (Besides that, it is longer)

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I just came back from Moca on my almost weekly trips and am glad to post that the road is passable. They must have just graded it as last week it was horrible. You can do 30-35 comfortably.

No doubt the guaguas were raising hell.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Actually we need to go through Tamboril so we can stop to see Ocscar at La Tradicioin Cubana Cigars to load up on some great smokes, and cheap too.

Bob K

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I still think that road is quite wonderfull, after taking the old road from santiago to sosua... now that is a real pain in the butt... more holes than road. I took it beginning of May, and that is the last time I took it...

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
As bad as the mountain road is, I think your probability of getting killed by an overloaded / unmaintained truck on the "tunnel" road is greater than driving over the edge on the mountain road.

But, If I had to do it at night I would take the tunnel road. (but I would not drive at night unless it was really important)

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
they did repave that road from Moca... recently... must have found some spare asphalt....

i thought it was a joke, as 3 months ago, we had to take a detour from Moca, because you could not pass the regular road as they were repaving it... a week later we could pass, and nothing was repaved (well... maybe somebody's drive... lol)

we took it 3 th week of may, and now we could drive through, while they were repaving it... (ooops... CB... I can guarantee your car will not rust from the bottom up.... lol)