Destination Representative INTERVIEW!

sagitravelgirl

May 30, 2010
Helllo all, this is my first time here and I hope that someone can give me some advice.

I will be attending a group interview for a destination representative position for a large travel airline in Canada and wanted to know if anyone has done this in the past or currently can give me some interview tips and even some insight on what I can really expect.

I am a bit nervous because it is only a contract and not sure what will be in store afterwards and at 28 I feel too old and sometimes wonder - maybe I should just, give it a rest and settle down :)

Any help is appreciated!
PS I am not sure where I will be be based but DR is likely.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have a friend who did this for a couple of years, and she always told me how much of a pain in the ass it was...

she was responsible for all the guests, and had to solve all their problems... (this was in Portugal...). I only remember how frustrated she was about all the minor complaints, the hours at which they called her, the rudeness of a lot of customers, etc....

She did this for 2 years, and was hoping for a great time in portugal, and ended up giving her notice, because she was so fed up with it

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Hi there,

I worked as a holiday rep for a couple of years in the DR and it was good most of the time. I was slightly different from most as I knew the country beforehand and speak Spanish, which many,many of the other reps don't.
I also lived away from the AI hotels in an apartment which allowed me to integrate more into the Dominican way of life and get away from the guests! A lot of the problems you deal with are drink related due to the amount that people consume and it can be a pain.
Unfortunately, the pay is such that you usually don't earn enough to cover rent and day to day living expenses and I was dipping into savings to meet my outgoings. Most of the reps live in rooms in the hotels and therefore do not really get to learn much about the country or the people and continue speaking English from the day they arrive until they leave. However, some of the Canadian and German reps were given accomodation outside of the complex, you may be lucky.
It is a great experience, if you do get the chance get out and about and learn something about the country, the people and the culture. Too many reps return home none the wiser and it is their loss, it is a marvellous place.
Good Luck
Rio

blonde_for_life

Mar 21, 2010
what airline are you doing the interview with and how did you come across the opportunity? I would love to have a job in DR and not just grab my ass at my appartment! loll

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Have someone else grab it, I promise it'll be a lot more fun, LOL

Sorry, I couldn't resist.........