Bicycle Dangers...Scooters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullitt510

Apr 29, 2010
I have a question, I have read how crazy and dangerous riding a bike in Sosua would be, but would it be more dangerous than a scooter? I have driven in Sosua on a scooter and have seen my life flash before me on many occasion. I ride a bike a lot and I think I would have more control and better avoidance ability. Now it would be just for around town, I would not think of riding to Cabarete, I tend not to be suicidal. Let me know what you think. By the way I am looking for some place to buy a reasonably nice pair of bikes. Well maybe...Thanks in advance for all of the informative responses.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I ride a bike a lot and I think I would have more control and better avoidance ability.

But possibly less speed for avoiding disasters with conchos? I've certainly seen people using bicycles and surviving the experience.

If it's only around town you won't need the anti-windscreen-washer wetsuit for up on the main road..........;)

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
There are six or so people who we know who cycle every day between Sabaneta, Cabarete and Sosua for exercise and have been doing so for a long time; none of them have been involved in an accident. There's also a cycle club in Sosua set up in the last year or so.

As Lambada said, speed must have something to do with the 'relative' safety compared to motos, where we are aware of many friends and aquaintances who have been hurt or even killed over the years. Ironically, one of the cyclists we know was badly hurt last year when driving his motorbike in Cabarete.

Sos?a-News

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
It is alot sefer then in Hilton Head Island SC. I just returned from an extended 3 week hospital stay after being hit by a car in the cross walk (he ran a stop sign...sound familiar) while on a bike ride. Antoher 2 months in a wheel chair before starting to walk again. So much safer for me here.

Bob K

XtremeCycles

Jan 27, 2010
Really operating any vehicle in this country is at your own risk ! Ive been driving and riding pasolas trail bikes 4 wheels crotch rockets u name it for the last 4 years ive been living here you got to pay attention and dont drive with a Western Mentality rules and regulations that apply in the USA or other parts of the world dont apply here pay attention and always drive 100 meters in front of you and keep checking your mirrors and dont be afraid to use your horn !!!

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
But possibly less speed for avoiding disasters with conchos? I've certainly seen people using bicycles and surviving the experience.

If it's only around town you won't need the anti-windscreen-washer wetsuit for up on the main road..........;)

You see why you should always read the small print people, that was very funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
I cycled myself for several years between Sosusa and Cabarete for exercise and never had a problem.
A friend fo mine who does the same was attacked by two machete swinging motorcyclists during a brief pit stop and relievd of his wallet, watch etc.

Caution is always the best policy. This is a violent and angerous country

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Caution is always the best policy.
Always.

thomasj said:
This is a violent and angerous country
Oh, please.

I've been coming here for 24 years and have lived here over two. One of my businesses requires that I travel the DR extensively.

Your statement is pure bullspit...unless you are a moron who is too stoopid to keep yourself out of bad situations.

bullitt510

Apr 29, 2010
Thanks for all of the input and advice, I'll bypass the window washers, I keep my Oakley's pretty clean, maybe I'll get my flip flops shined though. Now does anyone know where I can get a couple nice bicycles, a beach cruiser or mountain bike would be good. I have bikes at home, but I think getting them down there would be cost prohibitive. Are there bike shops around. Thanks again. M

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I personally think that a scooter may be less dangerous than a bicycle for the following reasons: Unless it's a BMX, a bicycle is typically less agil... it's longer, the wheels are bigger and part of the rider's concentration goes into the pedals. Scooters can be VERY agile vehicles.

I think that, IF the rider is willing to respect/accept a few rules, some of which are most likely a sharp contrast to the rules prevalent in their country of origin, it can be done almost as safely as walking around Sosua.

FIRST and FOREMOST, the rules of right of way:
The BIGGER one, the MEANER and UGLIER one, the one with the most horse power blowing the darker and most smoke, in this country ALWAYS has ABSOLUTE right of way... even if it pulls out backwards into a the wrong way of a 2 land Highway!!
Around Sosua and similar touristy towns in this country, it is not uncommon to be able to witness with horror newcomers, especially from some of the more developed countries of central Europe to try to impose their country's pedestrian's right of way on the chaotic maze of trucks and outracing conchos at the complete amazement of their "drivers". This in NOT how things work here. It's the big and strong FIRST... pedestrians are at the bottom of the "food-chain", just before cyclists!

In general the local population goes to great lengths not to hit or scratch anybody... it's the eternal and life defining quest of some of absolutely having to "be firster than the first" which creates most dangers on the roads here.

You need to watch yourself and also watch out and compensate for most others' lack of understanding of physics and transit rules.
Suspect the worse and most unlawful driving. Always suspect the one squeezing by on the far left lane to eventually cut thru in front of all others because he wants to take a surprising right turn and the one to the right eventually having a sudden urge to cut left.

Be aware that many are challenged to hold their lane going forward on a straight street. Imagine the danger they can be when pulling backward, most of their mirrors oriented in such a way so their girl friend can check on her makeup.

Never drive after sundown, especially outside of the immediate crowded center (E. g.: to your rental out in the the outskirts of the town).

... J-D.

bullitt510

Apr 29, 2010
lots of good info, I live right in town,or I should say I do sometimes, the rest of the time I live in other more sporty places. And your right driving after dark is a whole new adventure all in its self. I am looking forward to getting back down there, I will be there in a few weeks, and in the market for furniture, bikes or a scooter, cold beer etc. I'm also looking for any info I can get on what ever may be important, or even not important. If you have info and don't want to post it, PM me. I hope everyone has a wonderful day. Later. Mike

canuk8068

Sep 15, 2008
mountain bike

When I was in Sosua at the beginning of this year, I saw mountain bikes at a reasonable price ($100us). I don't remember the exact store but it was on the North side of the road leading out of Sosua towards Caberette. It may have been the one next door to the ferriteria (sp) about 1/2 km from the grocery store and near the german bakery.

bullitt510

Apr 29, 2010
Thanks for the info, I'll be down there on the 7th, take a look, but first it will be beers at Jolly Roger as soon as I get in. Later. M

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
One caution on scooters, aka pasolas: if you buy one...and in some ways they are superior to the ubiquitous moto...get one with the largest wheels possible and the fattest tires possible.

The roads here are poor and small wheels don't do well...i.e. it's easier to lose stability/balance and take a nasty tumble.

There is a reason dirt and motocross bikes have very large front wheels: it's easier and safer to roll over things.

Daniel10

Apr 19, 2010
danny-in-dr.blogspot.com
I personally think that a scooter may be less dangerous than a bicycle for the following reasons: Unless it's a BMX, a bicycle is typically less agil... it's longer, the wheels are bigger and part of the rider's concentration goes into the pedals. Scooters can be VERY agile vehicles.

Cyclist don't think about peddling. Do you think about using the throttle in your car?

Live time of cycling (aggressively) thought me the following:
- Pedestrians: most agile. Do not cycle on footpaths as a pedestrian can stop and make a 90 degree turn in an blink of an eye.
- bicycles can turn sharper than cars
- motorcycles are only agile and can do sharp cornering when going slow.
- Don't be on the inside of trucks before any crossing, unless you can move away.

I haven't cycled in the Sosua/Cabarete area but would feel comfortable doing so. (if it wasn't for the humidity)
Years of safe experiences in NL (wide cyclepaths) and aggressive cycling in Dublin's clogged up roads I wouldn't be uncomfortable cycling in DR.
My ways of survival on a bicycle:
- Always know where traffic is. Behind you and from hidden side roads.
- If you don't have eye contact, don't act.*
- if someone hesitates, I act. If they don't, I don't act.
- Always know a way out
- Stopping is a valid option.

* In Dublin I'm one of those cyclists that you don't want to make eye contact with if you're driving a car. Because I will point out what I want to do. And if I want to go in front of you and if I know you see me, I will do it.
Not too sure if I will be using that tactic in DR, though.

Depending on how fast traffic is, I either stay on the edge of the road (if there are no potholes) or swerve around in between cars.
I don't wear a helmet, I don't wear a fluorescent jacket. And never had an accident. I've driven between slow moving busses with less than 2 inches of space on either side. In 5 years time I hit only one side mirror of a car. (On purpose.)

I feel safer in Dublin on the bike between crappy car drivers than in NL with a whole group of cyclists. Imagine being stuck in between 20 cyclists and all pulling up together at a light, leaving no more than an inch of space around our steers and wheels.

Remember the right of way on the water:
Commercial above all and then from less manoeuvrable to most.
So:
- windsurfers and sails first (after commercial boats)
- Rowers and canoe second
- bigger motorised boats
- and last the speedboats.

If I translate that to the road then:
- Trucks and Cars are less manoeuvrable
- Motorbikes can use the throttle to get out
- Cyclist can swerve quickly
- Pedestrians can make instant 90 degree turns.

One little anecdote of my parents cycling in Scotland. I asked them how the cars reacted on the narrow Scottish roads: "Oh very nice, they wait and slowly pass you giving you loads of space. The only cars that didn't had Dutch license plates."

Nobody wants to make an accident. depending on how close they pass you by gives you an understanding how comfortable they are with bicycles. If they leave lots of space, they see you and are afraid of you. If they leave little space they are fully aware of what you can and won't do but most of all: they know how big their vehicle is.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I sometimes find myself lost for words on threads like these. Sosua is not a dangerous place to ride or drive around, probably the least dangerous town to drive around I've lived in.
All usual observasions are needed, mirrors always, keep away from parked cars or what seem like parked cars, wide berth for anything you can't see over.
I personally think a bike is more dangerous than a scooter. With a scooter you can use the gas to power out of the way of drunk 4x4 drivers and if a concho does hit you a little more weight will make some difference.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.