Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bicycle Dangers...Scooters?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bicycle Dangers...Scooters?

I have a question, I have read how crazy and dangerous riding a bike in Sosua would be, but would it be more dangerous than a scooter? I have driven in Sosua on a scooter and have seen my life flash before me on many occasion. I ride a bike a lot and I think I would have more control and better avoidance ability. Now it would be just for around town, I would not think of riding to Cabarete, I tend not to be suicidal. Let me know what you think. By the way I am looking for some place to buy a reasonably nice pair of bikes. Well maybe...Thanks in advance for all of the informative responses.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bullitt510 View Post
    I ride a bike a lot and I think I would have more control and better avoidance ability.
    But possibly less speed for avoiding disasters with conchos? I've certainly seen people using bicycles and surviving the experience.

If it's only around town you won't need the anti-windscreen-washer wetsuit for up on the main road..........

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

There are six or so people who we know who cycle every day between Sabaneta, Cabarete and Sosua for exercise and have been doing so for a long time; none of them have been involved in an accident. There's also a cycle club in Sosua set up in the last year or so.

As Lambada said, speed must have something to do with the 'relative' safety compared to motos, where we are aware of many friends and aquaintances who have been hurt or even killed over the years. Ironically, one of the cyclists we know was badly hurt last year when driving his motorbike in Cabarete.

Sos˙a-News

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It is alot sefer then in Hilton Head Island SC. I just returned from an extended 3 week hospital stay after being hit by a car in the cross walk (he ran a stop sign...sound familiar) while on a bike ride. Antoher 2 months in a wheel chair before starting to walk again. So much safer for me here.

Bob K

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

So scooters aren't really a good way to get around?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyH View Post
    So scooters aren't really a good way to get around?
    They are fine with the proper training.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Really operating any vehicle in this country is at your own risk ! Ive been driving and riding pasolas trail bikes 4 wheels crotch rockets u name it for the last 4 years ive been living here you got to pay attention and dont drive with a Western Mentality rules and regulations that apply in the USA or other parts of the world dont apply here pay attention and always drive 100 meters in front of you and keep checking your mirrors and dont be afraid to use your horn !!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard people liken it to driving in a video game.....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    But possibly less speed for avoiding disasters with conchos? I've certainly seen people using bicycles and surviving the experience.

If it's only around town you won't need the anti-windscreen-washer wetsuit for up on the main road..........
    You see why you should always read the small print people, that was very funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

My thought exactly!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast