Happy Mother's Day!! Dominican Republic

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Happy Mother's Day to all the Mothers, Grandmothers and those ever-present
"aunts" that just act like mothers.

May you have an enjoyable day with something special happening, and a delightful rest of the year.

HB's mom and grandmomma will get a nice meal and some Haagen D?z ice cream as part of her goodies, along with a beautiful orchid and some Oscar de la Renat parfume....

May you all be so fortunate...

HB

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
My daughter's Mother will feast on Beef Wellington, Eccles cakes with cream, red wine and she will receive a special present from her daughter in a special packet with hearts all over it and a silly present of an umbrella from me!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
and now for the other side of Mother's Day........

From DR1 News:

Fernandez's Mother's Day gifts
President Leonel Fernandez invited poor people to queue up outside his house to receive Mother's Day handouts on Sunday. Hoy newspaper says this brings back memories of the days of former President Balaguer, who was in power for 30 years. Thousands would receive food and cash gifts from Balaguer for Mother's Day.
But this was the first time that poor people have been invited to Fernandez's high-rise residence in Naco, at the corner of Juan Parada Bonilla Street and Av. Gustavo Mejia Ricart. Reportedly, the gifts consisted of cash bonuses of RD$3,000, RD$1,000 or RD$500. Hoy reports that dozens of mothers, young and old alike, spent the previous night in the area, with children in arms, to be early to get the gifts. The envelopes were printed with the President's name. The first 50 envelopes contained RD$3,000 but afterwards the envelopes contained RD$1,000. Hoy reports that chaos erupted when the envelopes containing RD$500 were handed out.

D?divas a las madres como en los d?as de Balaguer

As one of the readers' letters said Que verguenza!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Well, typical! Bigger prices to the "mas primeros"! Like they don't know their own people. Chaos assured! Probably some even sent out their "chopa" to sit in line for them (I KNOW some "smart" ones do that at events like these!). Usually it's never the most needy who wind up getting anything at these handouts.
What where they thinking?

On a different note: Melany handed me TWO letters yesterday. One to "el mejor padre que conoci" (I am honored) and one to "Mama querida"! I returned her the one addressed to the mother, but she gave it back to me saying, I could be her mother too.
One has to know, that last weekend, we made some decorative gifts at my house, so they could give something to their mothers. She came back sad, because her mother did not receive the gift "favorably"... actually, she threw it away as it was "worthless" and that I could also not convince her to assist to the rehearsed mother's day presentation at school (preferred to hang out in El Batey instead). So much for the working girls, being that for the sake of their kids, for those who wish to believe that!
I know, I am only to play the role of the father... but still, given the circumstances, I took this one humbly.

... J-D.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yep,
those president's gifts given to the 'people' all around the globe at specific days, doesn't matter what gifts name they are named at diffenrent spots.
they are announced to take place prior, that's the first failure of all, and they are anyways just meant to be a good publicity with the press present.
i did never hear about any president who drove on such day just privately over to any barrio and handed out there without any press present a simple check over a lil million pesos from his personal private bank account to a organization to just get a under construction poor mothers shelterl in that area finished/fixed.
yes, i guess he would get afterwards when the word comes out much better press out of it and would have done somethhing really good and worth the time and money spent, and it would have been HIM who did it.
but that would just been if i would have been the president's public relations guy to let him know what would be appropriate and a nice touch to do on such day.
i am just the fisherman of course.
Mike

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
She came back sad, because her mother did not receive the gift "favorably"... actually, she threw it away as it was "worthless" and that I could also not convince her to assist to the rehearsed mother's day presentation at school (preferred to hang out in El Batey instead). ... J-D.

So Melany was performing with no mother present? That was the rehearsal I saw her in a couple of weeks back I think?

No wonder that little girl wants you to be her mother as well as her father. What an abysmal thing to do, to throw away the child's present in her sight. Makes you want to weep for Melany, thank goodness she has you, JD. Gosh that makes me angry, and that child is doing so well!

Hugs to Melany from me, please.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
So Melany was performing with no mother present? That was the rehearsal I saw her in a couple of weeks back I think?

No wonder that little girl wants you to be her mother as well as her father. What an abysmal thing to do, to throw away the child's present in her sight. Makes you want to weep for Melany, thank goodness she has you, JD. Gosh that makes me angry, and that child is doing so well!

Hugs to Melany from me, please.

Not to hijack your thread, but thanks... I WILL tell her.
Yes, the show we went to check on the schedule together. Imagine!
She starts enjoying getting "winks" from my friends. Yesterday we were invited to a pool side party/BBQ... and she was received with a big warm "oh, so TU eres Melany!" by the US-Dominican couple which so graciously had us over and who must just about have heard enough of my Melany rants. She by now knows I am proud of her.
She told me Friday that she's about done with her end of year exams and that I'd better be there on the last school day by the end of this week because she intends to finish the best of her class and that I might get a price (again)!

I love her to death, and get the same back. A round deal!

... J-D.