Groceries in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
We recently went to the Playero and also La Sirena in Sosua and Puerto Plata. The prices seemed expensive and the produce was less than impressive. Where are some local places that one can buy groceries at a more reasonable price. I realize that imports are going to be expensive anywhere so I'm mainly asking about staples like rice, beans, breads, eggs, ect... I've seen many roadside stands in los Charamicos that have fruits and veggies which I plan to investigate. Also looking for good quality meats. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We recently went to the Playero and also La Sirena in Sosua and Puerto Plata. The prices seemed expensive and the produce was less than impressive. Where are some local places that one can buy groceries at a more reasonable price. I realize that imports are going to be expensive anywhere so I'm mainly asking about staples like rice, beans, breads, eggs, ect... I've seen many roadside stands in los Charamicos that have fruits and veggies which I plan to investigate. Also looking for good quality meats. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

As we live closer to Sabaneta, we tend to shop at the supermarket there for most basic items and the prices are far cheaper. We also have a superb butcher in Pata de Gallina who sells beef on Wednesdays and pork on Saturdays only and it is incredibly fresh and reasonable priced....PM me for details if you wish.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Get used to the prices.

We recently went to the Playero and also La Sirena in Sosua and Puerto Plata. The prices seemed expensive and the produce was less than impressive.

I find the La Sirena prices quite reasonable.
It seems you just have not become used to the cheap DR...
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/102930-living-dr-cheap-13.html#post860928
:tired:

You may find a few better deals in smaller places but I doubt that it is worth the hassle.
Meat can be bought cheaply at other 'carnicerias', just whisk away the flies...

donP

May 29, 2006
The best place to buy produce is off the back of a truck, but they will only carry a dozen items or so.

w881zl.jpg

Eggplant, yucca, plantain and bananas, potatoes, pineapples, oranges, limes, coconut onions and cucumbers are the foundation of Dominican produce-- anything after that you will prob have to go to a bigger store.

There are some very good peppers in the DR. The pencil thin ones are super hot and the yellow and orange ones that look like habaneros are actually sweet. Basil is very cheap. The plum tomatoes are better than what you find in the US. The potatoes in the DR are similar to Yukon Gold in the US and are excellent.

My favorite meal at home was Bavette pasta with pesto, garlic and fresh diced tomatoes. Playero carries Barilla brand Bavette. It has a half moon cross section. Puree some basil leaves with some garlic in a blender with some olive oil. Cook the pasta and set aside to drain. Heat the pesto with a splash of white wine and toss the pasta in it. Take off the heat and add in some diced tomatoes, and serve with some grated Parmesan cheese on top. The pesto keeps for a week or so in the fridge or much longer in the freezer. I think you can also get fresh wet mozzarella in some stores so you can also make a caprese salad.

I shopped at about six to eight different stores in a month. There is no one best store for everything.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Sounds great!

Are you a chef Peter, sounds like a great recipe. I cooked professionally for about 20 years; I'm excited to try out the new things in the DR. Is the produce off of the truck reasonably priced? It looks beautiful!

May 29, 2006
Are you a chef Peter, sounds like a great recipe. I cooked professionally for about 20 years; I'm excited to try out the new things in the DR. Is the produce off of the truck reasonably priced? It looks beautiful!

Yes, I've been cooking professionally for over 25 years off and on. Another dish you can make pretty easily there is potatoes au gratin with some local hard sausage, cream and various cheeses. Good cheese is pricey. You can use most of the ingredients for the pasta to make a bruschetta as well. The French style bread is ok-- it's sandwhich bread that is hard to come by. The breads seem to be gluten deficient. There is one local sausage that is about finger width that is very tasty. Check out Productos Sosua and the German Butcher. For Dominican dishes, I really like eggplant fritters but I've never seen that in a restaurant. They go great with a mango salsa, but I forget the recipe other than it has diced mangos, honey, red onions, scallions pimientos and cilantro. The red onions tend to be pretty scrawny...

I bought fresh yeast at the Playero(I think $1 a pound!) which makes baking pretty easy if you don't mind the heat. I mostly made foccacia and then dipped it in different sauces. I usually do a poolish method to get the best yeast flavor and to develop the protein for extra stickyness.

The trucks often sell to the small stores and it is the best price. You may want to check prices though in case they try to sell at the "ex-pat" price. The Papayas are great esp for breakfast and they freeze great for batidas...

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The Playero in Sosua had fresh Aspargus today as well as Brocciflower ( cross between broccoli and cauliflower) and some nice small Romaine hearts

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Bread

I noticed the sandwich bread left something to be desired. I have a bread machine that I use to make dough and then form it as I please. If it seems that the gluten is lacking in a recipe ( I know that you said the bread was store-bought) you can add an egg or what works really well is 'vital wheat gluten'. Don't know if you'd find it down there but you could probably order it. It really lightens up even whole wheat bread-yummy!!.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
farmers market in downtown Pop has many vendors, much of which you can "shop" around for prices. Many prices are far better than La Sirena, get there early though.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is a large produce store in Charamicos that has very good prices. If you go from the stop light down into Charamicos you make a left and a right and it is on your left.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Thanks, that is walking distance from my house. Do you know anything of the bakery that is down there?

May 29, 2006
The best bakery I knew of in Sosua was the German one tucked away on the east side of town but I don't know if they are still open. Some very nice products. There is also the one right across from Playero that had great big 6" burger type buns. Google Bakery Sosua to find the German one.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The best bakery I knew of in Sosua was the German one tucked away on the east side of town but I don't know if they are still open. Some very nice products. There is also the one right across from Playero that had great big 6" burger type buns. Google Bakery Sosua to find the German one.

The German bakery is Moser's. He is still open unless he is on vacation for a month. He takes one every summer, but I don't know when.

Aug 21, 2007
Moser takes his vacation in either October or November. Can't remember which. Unless he takes two vacations, I don't think there is one in the summer. He is open right now.

Lindsey

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
The market in POP has all kinds of produce - negotiate your prices.

For bread I have found "Natures Own" it is not cheap but it is sooooo good. It is like the bread I used to buy.

In POP, besides La Sirena we have Jose Luis - up near the public hospital -and Tropicale on 24 de Febrero. I like to buy meat at Jose Luis - I find it better then the other two. Or I go to the butcher in San Marcos - some excellent meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.