57% of Dominicans live in poverty

Status
Not open for further replies.

cibaenopuro

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 27, 2010
La poblaci?n de Rep?blica Dominicana puede ser dividida de la siguiente manera:

* Clase alta: 6% de la poblaci?n (570,000 personas / 142,500 hogares).
* Clase media-alta: 17% de la poblaci?n (1.6 millones de personas / 400,000 hogares).
* Clase media: 20% de la poblaci?n (1.9 millones de personas / 475,000 hogares).
* Clase baja: 47% de la poblaci?n (4.5 millones de personas / 1,125,000 hogares).
* Indigencia: 10% de la poblaci?n (950,000 personas / 237,500 hogares).

1. Rep?blica Dominicana es el pa?s de las Antillas con el mayor n?mero de personas en la clase alta, clase media-alta y clase media. El pa?s en segunda posici?n es Puerto Rico, aunque ?ste tiene una poblaci?n total de 4 millones; un poco menos que la poblaci?n acomodada de Rep?blica Dominicana.
2. Con 4.5 millones de personas en la clase baja, la Rep?blica Dominicana es el segundo pa?s con la mayor cantidad de personas en esa clase. S?lo Hait? tiene m?s.
3. Respecto a los indigentes, otra vez la Rep?blica Dominicana es superada s?lo por Hait?.

Las clases sociales en Rep?blica Dominicana | Economista Dominicano

what an embarassment, i hope the dr gets better soon

Reactions: mike l

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Middle class in the DR???? really ??? its tough to tell that it exists I have generally observe in this country you either have money or you don't!!! the supposed middle class here possibly might be the people dependent on remittances from other countries to survive or possibly those who have retired and are living from their pension or retirement fund abroad!!!

cibaenopuro

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 27, 2010
Middle class in the DR???? really ??? its tough to tell that it exists I have generally observe in this country you either have money or you don't!!! the supposed middle class here possibly might be the people dependent on remittances from other countries to survive or possibly those who have retired and are living from their pension or retirement fund abroad!!!

you've been hanging out in the wrong places

baby bori

May 18, 2010

I'm not your typical european, canadian, nor us tourist who only stays around the resort and tourist areas. I've been around the DR mingled with the everyday people in different places including businesses and corporations. I have dominican friends in the DR and US and do know that those who attain alot of wealth from nowhere with no education do it underground and illegally. Basically if a person's family is from a poor humble background and in a few years that person accumulates significant assets either something illegal has been done or with the assistance of a foreigner's or newcomer's money unless if you're a pelotero!!!!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I think same as you, what does he think people who lives in Las Colinas, Tierra alta, Los Jardines, Villa Olga, Los tres Embrujos, Los Alamos, La zurza, are???
Just to name a few of the neighborhoods of Santiago city.

JJ

baby bori

May 18, 2010
I think same as you, what does he think people who lives in Las Colinas, Tierra alta, Los Jardines, Villa Olga, Los tres Embrujos, Los Alamos, La zurza, are???
Just to name a few of the neighborhoods of Santiago city.

JJ

There is a big grand descrepancy between those who have assets and those who don't unfortunately. Tell me for the majority of these people living in these upper class areas how were their assets attained either illegally or legally the majority of us definitely know the answer to that. Its a tragedy the that the economic descrepancy is so vast that a middle class is tough to identify as being that a "middle class". In this country either you have resource and money or you don't and the descrepancy is much more than the US, Canada, and Europe!!!! A honest hardworking uncorrupted professional person at the wagescale in this country would have lot of difficulty attaining property in upper class areas in santiago and by the way I know santiago very well have been to those neighborhoods and others also!!!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I think if there is a middle class we must learn what defines it. What is the stratification of upper middle class vs. middle class vs. lower class(working class). It may be all smoke and mirrors(and remittances).

And I think that most all middle class people here are those with government jobs. Besides that I dont think people care how their was money was made. Whats important is that I need it and I got it. Ponzi Schemes and pipe dreams.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
theres plenty middle class. they have gov jobs, own most smaller businesses, work in tourism and within local companies. they are my prime market and they spend like crazy.

cibaenopuro

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 27, 2010
this is how the survey defines the different economic classes (in spanish)
La clase alta tiene un nivel de ingreso lo alto suficiente para hacer accesible cualquier servicio o producto, y por lo general son consumidores conspicuo. La clase media-alta o profesional, tiene ingresos relativamente altos para poder hacer accesible un estilo de vida bien acomodado. Los ingresos de la clase media, al ser moderados, requiere una constante vigilancia a sus asuntos financieros para as? poder mantener un estilo de vida confortable, y a la vez, poder ahorrar. La clase baja vive en la subsistencia y los de la indigencia viven en p?simas condiciones. Estos ?ltimos casi siempre est?n afectados por el desempleo y/o empleos de muy baja remuneraci?n.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I think if there is a middle class we must learn what defines it. What is the stratification of upper middle class vs. middle class vs. lower class(working class). It may be all smoke and mirrors(and remittances).

And I think that most all middle class people here are those with government jobs. Besides that I dont think people care how their was money was made. Whats important is that I need it and I got it. Ponzi Schemes and pipe dreams.

Can you please refrain from the SHEEPSHANK comments?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
this is how the survey defines the different economic classes (in spanish)

There is your problem as I see it. The definition of upper middle class is akin to middle class in the US. The definition of middle class is actually working class. Fancy labels to detract from what it written. So the numbers are actually 77% are in this poverty state. It said:
"requiere una constante vigilancia a sus asuntos financieros para as? poder mantener un estilo de vida confortable, y a la vez, poder ahorrar."
Yea, thats working class, or upper lower class if were playing with words. At any minute they can lose grip on un estilo de vida comoda y no tienen la abilidad ahorrar.

Also as the definition is written the low class and the indigent are the same thing. There is not even an argument for semantics here.

And by the way Tamborista, if you want my body and you think I m sexy, Why dont you just let me know, otherwise, LTB por favor.

cibaenopuro

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 27, 2010
i personally would consider people who live in houses like this to be middle class by dr standards
p40265-Dominican_Republic-A_Mom_and_her_menfolk.jpg

while lower class people would be like this
25374880_cdc9827c5f_b.jpg

and of course campesinos too

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
i personally would consider people who live in houses like this to be middle class by dr standards
p40265-Dominican_Republic-A_Mom_and_her_menfolk.jpg

while lower class people would be like this
25374880_cdc9827c5f_b.jpg

Unfair. We didnt see the house in the top pic. And the bottom pic looked like a neighborhoon in transition. There was alot of new construction there along with 2phase additions. I think a more conspicuous telling of your position is if you have a car and what about it? It is a jepeta? How old is it? What marque is it? And inside, do you have amenities that work.

1. Upper Class would have one, no more than 2 years old, with tinted windows, most likely European high end.
2. Upper Middle Class would have a jepeta, Japanese or American SUV, or mid-level European sedan about 5-10 years old,
3. Middle Class or Working class, Maybe they d have one, Japanese compact/small category, about 12-20 years old, some stuff works
4. Lower class, maybe they have one, Japanese for sure, 25+ years old. Honestly should have been destroyed several years ago (before it was imported here).
5. Indigent, clearly nothing, no form of transportation and possibly no shoes on their feet.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
i personally would consider people who live...

THe naighborhood is "Sabaneta Las palomas" in Santiago, yes they looks like campesinos but you the guy with the broken pant "El Dominican York".

JJ

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm not your typical european, canadian, nor us tourist who only stays around the resort and tourist areas. I've been around the DR mingled with the everyday people in different places including businesses and corporations. I have dominican friends in the DR and US and do know that those who attain alot of wealth from nowhere with no education do it underground and illegally. Basically if a person's family is from a poor humble background and in a few years that person accumulates significant assets either something illegal has been done or with the assistance of a foreigner's or newcomer's money unless if you're a pelotero!!!!

You are full of hot air. For sure there are numerous Dominicans that acheived wealth through illegal or questional means, but I know personally many, including my wife who have acheived their financial stature by earning it. While not rich I know many shop owners, small business owners, dentists, doctors, accountants....etc that would not meant western standards of upper middle class but in many ways are better off - debt free, own their own house and car, and have money in the bank. Most of the people I know have at least high school but some do not.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
oh yes and the professionals bob noted, the accountants, lawyers, doctors, etc who find work...usually middle to upper middle class. there are LOTS and if you run in the right circles its obvious. most kids who go to private school and are able to go away to college to santiago or the capital (again countless) i would consider middle class as well and thats a huge chunk of people right there. in santiago and the capital the numbers are enormous, imo.

most people you find at the more uppity night clubs and bars are middle class too. its not hard to find them. they stick together.

Mar 1, 2009
Baby bori mentions that if people in DR have made money we ALL know how they made it? Yes we do, many through hard work, other's through education and other's by way of luck! I won't compare the DR to the US, so I won't compare social classes or their incomes either when speaking about both countries. It' just not fair, I believe the study I see many Dominicans whose families made or have had money since the day's of the founding of the Republic. The social circles are cliques and they are hard to get into. If you are in, they help each other alot and you won't let your compadre go down like that, especially in lieu that many of the upper class dominican' are cousins or are intermarried in some way. So the same way the poor dominican goes to his relatives to pedir pretao, the riche do the same. They just call it something different.

A middle class Dominican family that I know, the mother and her 25 year old son.
House in a very good neighborhood: Paid off
Also owns a condo in the Anacoana as an investment, plus an apartment in Juan Dolio
She is retired/divorced and she used to work for a corporation where she gets a retirement check and alimony from her ex I think I haven't really asked, she say's recibo una entrada fija, I would say $1000USD
she has her savings,
Also, she has her own little brand new toyota startlet.

Her son works in a bank and earns $800USD a month.
He drives a two year old Lexus IS sport.
Parties like a rockstar

They live very comfortably and are members of El club Naco.

That to me is comfortable middle class here in DR,

My cousin who is a public school teacher and earns about maybe $300USD, lives in my grandma's house way out in el KM29, with her 4 children and her brother my cousin in another house they built in the back, he has 3 kids and he delivers merchandise to stores and he makes probably another $400-500USD a month. He drives an old dihatsu mini van which he uses for work and transportation.

Too me, they are poor but comfortable. He is even saving to buy a larger truck and he says that then he will double his money. I looked into the truck and nope no drug bundles, sorry guys!!!!!! I looked real hard and I just saw soda bottles, water bottles and womens beauty products.

Then I have another cousin who is neighborhood president association (he used to be a plumber), wife, 3 kids and his wife works in a bank , the oldest is going to Intec or Apec University and they have two cars and a nice house not many other frills a simple family middle class or lower middle class.

Three humble examples of a good cross section of society that I have observed.

Lando Calrisian

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
What's all this class nonsense about anyway?

Since when did the balance of your bank account dictate the class you are in?

Class is about breeding, background and education.

Just because you can kick a football around a bend like David Beckham, who coincidentally can't string two coherent words together, does that mean he's Upper Class? Or how about Ozzy Osborne?

I don't think so!

You can't buy class, it has to be earned.

Reactions: cobraboy

baby bori

May 18, 2010
You are full of hot air. For sure there are numerous Dominicans that acheived wealth through illegal or questional means, but I know personally many, including my wife who have acheived their financial stature by earning it. While not rich I know many shop owners, small business owners, dentists, doctors, accountants....etc that would not meant western standards of upper middle class but in many ways are better off - debt free, own their own house and car, and have money in the bank. Most of the people I know have at least high school but some do not.

Mr. Saunders are you of hispanic origin?? did you grow up or around dominicans ever since you were a child ??? I did. did you have an indepth understanding and know how of dominican culture and ways of being? I'm comfortable to say I do. Be realistic thoroughly analyze your words and ask these professionals and business owners how long if possible would it take to buy a nice comfortable upper middle class home and modern newer vehicle on the DR wage scale without corruption or questionable means. Go to a law firm or bank or other companies and if not an executive ask these professionals how much they make monthly!!!! to these small business owners you allude to ask them how much clean net profit they make monthly and go see their residences to see how " good" they actually live. I know some small business owners in downtown santiago who struggle to make ends it meet and live in barrios and lower income areas unfortunately. The vehicles they drive tend to be less than desired . I know a lawyer who works in a cooperativa for $15000 pesos a month and drives a 1997 or 1998 nissan sentra and cant buy another vehicle because she can't save up thats just one example I have other examples. Though these professionals work very hard if there are no short cuts or questionable means undertaken then to achieve a comfortable middle class living in the DR with nice home ownership, good vehicle, and mony in the bank its extremely much more difficult than attempting to do so in the US, Canada, or Europe. The economic and wage scale descrepancy is so vast its undeniable!!!

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Mr. Saunders how many dominicans in the DR or better yet what percentage of people there make at least $1000 US dollars per month?? what percentage on a honest noble hardworking non corrupt non shady way??? then take into consideration living expenses such as food, rent or home payment, utilities, child expenses,etc. and tell me how much would be left over to save in the bank to buy another residence or newer vehicle or invest in business or property??? A good amount of the wealth created there comes from those abroad such as dominicans, foreigners, newcomers, and foreign corporations and the IMF investing in the DR. Tell me where would the DR be economically without remittances abroad or without Tourism and tourist spots like resorts??? Take away tourism and remittances from abroad imagine the severity of the economic crisis it would be in!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.