Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast
    *** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 57% of Dominicans live in poverty

La población de República Dominicana puede ser dividida de la siguiente manera:

* Clase alta: 6% de la población (570,000 personas / 142,500 hogares).
    * Clase media-alta: 17% de la población (1.6 millones de personas / 400,000 hogares).
    * Clase media: 20% de la población (1.9 millones de personas / 475,000 hogares).
    * Clase baja: 47% de la población (4.5 millones de personas / 1,125,000 hogares).
    * Indigencia: 10% de la población (950,000 personas / 237,500 hogares).
    1. República Dominicana es el país de las Antillas con el mayor número de personas en la clase alta, clase media-alta y clase media. El país en segunda posición es Puerto Rico, aunque éste tiene una población total de 4 millones; un poco menos que la población acomodada de República Dominicana.
    2. Con 4.5 millones de personas en la clase baja, la República Dominicana es el segundo país con la mayor cantidad de personas en esa clase. Sólo Haití tiene más.
    3. Respecto a los indigentes, otra vez la República Dominicana es superada sólo por Haití.
    Las clases sociales en República Dominicana | Economista Dominicano

what an embarassment, i hope the dr gets better soon

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Middle class in the DR???? really ??? its tough to tell that it exists I have generally observe in this country you either have money or you don't!!! the supposed middle class here possibly might be the people dependent on remittances from other countries to survive or possibly those who have retired and are living from their pension or retirement fund abroad!!!

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baby bori View Post
    Middle class in the DR???? really ??? its tough to tell that it exists I have generally observe in this country you either have money or you don't!!! the supposed middle class here possibly might be the people dependent on remittances from other countries to survive or possibly those who have retired and are living from their pension or retirement fund abroad!!!
    you've been hanging out in the wrong places

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cibaenopuro View Post
    I'm not your typical european, canadian, nor us tourist who only stays around the resort and tourist areas. I've been around the DR mingled with the everyday people in different places including businesses and corporations. I have dominican friends in the DR and US and do know that those who attain alot of wealth from nowhere with no education do it underground and illegally. Basically if a person's family is from a poor humble background and in a few years that person accumulates significant assets either something illegal has been done or with the assistance of a foreigner's or newcomer's money unless if you're a pelotero!!!!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cibaenopuro View Post
    I think same as you, what does he think people who lives in Las Colinas, Tierra alta, Los Jardines, Villa Olga, Los tres Embrujos, Los Alamos, La zurza, are???
    Just to name a few of the neighborhoods of Santiago city.

JJ

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bachata View Post
    I think same as you, what does he think people who lives in Las Colinas, Tierra alta, Los Jardines, Villa Olga, Los tres Embrujos, Los Alamos, La zurza, are???
    Just to name a few of the neighborhoods of Santiago city.

JJ
    There is a big grand descrepancy between those who have assets and those who don't unfortunately. Tell me for the majority of these people living in these upper class areas how were their assets attained either illegally or legally the majority of us definitely know the answer to that. Its a tragedy the that the economic descrepancy is so vast that a middle class is tough to identify as being that a "middle class". In this country either you have resource and money or you don't and the descrepancy is much more than the US, Canada, and Europe!!!! A honest hardworking uncorrupted professional person at the wagescale in this country would have lot of difficulty attaining property in upper class areas in santiago and by the way I know santiago very well have been to those neighborhoods and others also!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if there is a middle class we must learn what defines it. What is the stratification of upper middle class vs. middle class vs. lower class(working class). It may be all smoke and mirrors(and remittances).

And I think that most all middle class people here are those with government jobs. Besides that I dont think people care how their was money was made. Whats important is that I need it and I got it. Ponzi Schemes and pipe dreams.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

theres plenty middle class. they have gov jobs, own most smaller businesses, work in tourism and within local companies. they are my prime market and they spend like crazy.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

this is how the survey defines the different economic classes (in spanish)
    La clase alta tiene un nivel de ingreso lo alto suficiente para hacer accesible cualquier servicio o producto, y por lo general son consumidores conspicuo. La clase media-alta o profesional, tiene ingresos relativamente altos para poder hacer accesible un estilo de vida bien acomodado. Los ingresos de la clase media, al ser moderados, requiere una constante vigilancia a sus asuntos financieros para así poder mantener un estilo de vida confortable, y a la vez, poder ahorrar. La clase baja vive en la subsistencia y los de la indigencia viven en pésimas condiciones. Estos últimos casi siempre están afectados por el desempleo y/o empleos de muy baja remuneración.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    I think if there is a middle class we must learn what defines it. What is the stratification of upper middle class vs. middle class vs. lower class(working class). It may be all smoke and mirrors(and remittances).

And I think that most all middle class people here are those with government jobs. Besides that I dont think people care how their was money was made. Whats important is that I need it and I got it. Ponzi Schemes and pipe dreams.
    Can you please refrain from the SHEEPSHANK comments?

Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast