Dominican authorities to remove Haitian children beggars from streets

Status
Not open for further replies.

cibaenopuro

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 27, 2010
Santo Domingo.- Immigration Agency director Sigfrido Pared on Sunday announced that the Haitian children who are begging in the streets will be picked up, and will seek to integrate the Haitian authorities and the United Nations Children?s Fund (UNICEF) to the task, because in his view it?s a delicate issue which experts must handle.

He said the effort will be carried out in coordination with the Armed Forces, the Border Security Agency (Cesfront), the Metropolitan Transport Authority (Amet) and the National Children?s Council (Conani),

The official admitted that the situation of the Haitian minors is of concern, given their increasing presence in the streets of the capital and other cities.

Pared said Immigration agents have made arrests and seized vehicles used to distribute Haitian children in the streets, a situation he called a ?big business.?

?What happens is that when they (the adults who use the children to beg) see the presence of Immigration agents who remove the minors and other people from the streets they fall back and disappear," he said.

He added that a vocational complex located in the nearby town Haina has been remodeled with Conani?s coordination, to attend the minors.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2010/5/31/35867/Dominican-authorities-to-remove-Haitian-children-beggars-from-streets

my wishes have family come true! i can finally walk through santiago without seeing a swarm of haitian beggars and limpiabotas! eh palante que vamos!

cibaenopuro

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 27, 2010
if all child beggars are deported that will eventually lead to the dying out of our haitian population or at least keep them from growing rapidly

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I hope that the authorities in Sosua follow through on this. Something needs to be done.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i never thought about people bringing them in , in wagons and collecting their money off them....that makes more sense, seeing as so many suddenly all arrived at the same time

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I hope that the authorities in Sosua follow through on this. Something needs to be done.

They would need to do that in the WHOLE country at once in a coordinated ongoing effort, for it to have some kind of success possible or the kids will just be "swept under the rug"... in other words, pop up in an other city or town.
But then... "coordinated & ongoing & effort"... I dunno... haven't seen much of that going on around here.

... J-D.

Mar 1, 2009
I saw this coming a knee jerk reaction to the tongue lashing the state attorney for children affairs got on TV from a caller last week. I hope that she get's more lashes and that Sigfrido Pared Perez goes to jail for allowing all the illegals to continue arriving without intent to detain or deport.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I think it is now official! There are now more children roaming the streets in Sosua then Chicas.

Bob K

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I suspect the efforts of rounding up the children will be confined to Santo Domingo

I hope not, although that is probably where it will start. If there is a round up in SD, then all those children will probably be transported to places like Sosua.

Sooner or later, it has to be done nationally.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
if all child beggars are deported that will eventually lead to the dying out of our haitian population or at least keep them from growing rapidly

...:surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised..........

They have been doing this for a while, if you didn't know about "the happy news"!!!! I saw it with my own two eyes.........kids being dragged into those yellow buses in the Monumento area, very sad to see, sad if they are being mistreated or just sent back to Haiti "a pasar mas trabajo". I don't agree with them begging to eat but maybe they can get some help from any of the so many organizations in Santiago.:ermm:

cibaenopuro

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 27, 2010
...:surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised..........

They have been doing this for a while, if you didn't know about "the happy news"!!!! I saw it with my own two eyes.........kids being dragged into those yellow buses in the Monumento area, very sad to see, sad if they are being mistreated or just sent back to Haiti "a pasar mas trabajo". I don't agree with them begging to eat but maybe they can get some help from any of the so many organizations in Santiago.:ermm:

they are not our responsibility

there are so many poor dominican children already why should we waste energy helping foreigners?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
its seems from the story that a lot of them are being controlled by Fagin type people that take a percentage of the money they earn

May 29, 2006
The percentage is prob right around 100% for a scoop of rice and a beating for not bringing in more...

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
they are not our responsibility

there are so many poor dominican children already why should we waste energy helping foreigners?

I'd feel better about all this if they'd taken measures to get all of the DR's street kids off the streets and into some vocational program. They could be used to clean up public facilities, plant trees or some other "low impact" endeavor with positive impact on the community and dormitoried, schooled and allowed to earn a little money and possibly gain some hope. If the Haitian kids' families can be located they should be returned but if not then simply sending them back to the chaos and poverty that is todays Haiti would be an uncommonly cruel punishment. If the Dominican kids' families can be located they should be put to work cleaning the crocodile pit at the National Zoo.

"waste energy helping foreigners"?

These are children, that's why.

Reactions: wuarhat
May 29, 2006
The cost of feeding/housing the Haitian kids should come out of aid money going to Haiti. I understand not wanting to fund Haitian kids with Dominican money, but it would prob be more cost-effective to put them in some facility in the DR and it could even provide work for many Dominicans to look after them. They should also get photos taken and prints in case there is a chance of reuniting them with some other family member.

cibaenopuro

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 27, 2010
I'd feel better about all this if they'd taken measures to get all of the DR's street kids off the streets and into some vocational program. They could be used to clean up public facilities, plant trees or some other "low impact" endeavor with positive impact on the community and dormitoried, schooled and allowed to earn a little money and possibly gain some hope. If the Haitian kids' families can be located they should be returned but if not then simply sending them back to the chaos and poverty that is todays Haiti would be an uncommonly cruel punishment. If the Dominican kids' families can be located they should be put to work cleaning the crocodile pit at the National Zoo.

"waste energy helping foreigners"?

These are children, that's why.

well, it makes sense to get rid of the begging children who don't belong in the dr so that our poor children can be given enough attention. you have alot of foreigners who build foundations to help poor children in the dr, and often times they're helping haitian children and not dominican children. look at this site for example:
Dominican Republic Poverty (DRP)

3 of the kids shown are Haitians and only 2 dominican kids are shown on that site (Ariela and Victoria and Francisco). these are the only "dominicans" they are helping
Theo%20all%20smiles%20after%20giving%20food%20to%20shoe%20shine%20boy%20LARGE.jpg

cibaenopuro

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 27, 2010
The cost of feeding/housing the Haitian kids should come out of aid money going to Haiti. I understand not wanting to fund Haitian kids with Dominican money, but it would prob be more cost-effective to put them in some facility in the DR and it could even provide work for many Dominicans to look after them. They should also get photos taken and prints in case there is a chance of reuniting them with some other family member.

not our responsibility. deport the children back to haiti and see if they can be sent to canada or united states so they can be cared for they can actually afford it.

P

poponlaburra

Our goverment and Conani must pick all these kids (and all the illegal Haitians vendors in the streets) at once.
Haiti is receiving lots, lots of money from everywhere!! and DR is not! Conani must round them up and send them to Haiti, there are hundreds of Ngos who could help them in Haiti.
All horphanages for these Haitian kids must, MUST be built in Haiti, not in DR soil.

What I heard was that the pimps of these Haitians kids beggars are disguised as street vendors!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
not our responsibility. deport the children back to haiti and see if they can be sent to canada or united states so they can be cared for they can actually afford it.

What do you suggest? Throw them in the back of a convoy of 5 ton trucks and dump them into the streets of P-au-P? Why not just pull out the old brown paper bag to use as a litmus test. Here's another great idea. Why not document them, assign a file number and tatoo their file number on both wrists (in case they lose one). That will definitely make it harder for them to get back into the country, right?

What about the children of Haitians who were born in the DR? you want to revoke their right to citizenship (that's where the brown paper bag will really come in handy), who's gonna cut your cane and toil as construction laborers? I think it's a safe bet to say that there's not a job being occupied by a Haitian immigrant in the country that a Dominican would want to work for the same money.

If these Haitian street kids are from among the 1/3 of Haiti's population which was displaced after the earthquake then where would you have them go? They no longer have homes there so I guess it's okay with you to just walk these children to the border and push them out of the truck and just let them starve to death. There is quite a bit of money which has been set aside for aid to Haiti. There's also quite a substantial sum being spent in the DR for years, now. There is only so much that a handful of NGO's is going to be able to do effectively and Haiti's "government" is neither qualified nor trusted to direct the relief funding by themselves.

The answer will be a cooperative effort by government, private industry and charitable organizations and hopefully this "Haiti Summit" is more than just a paid vacation for its participants.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/wo...-resort-in-security-lockdown-for-Haiti-Summit

..and let's hope that the relief funding is more than just a windfall for NGO's and contractors.

Things are tough all over but you don't have to take it out on the children. Arrest their "pimps" and torture them until you find out where the childrens families are (then burn the bastards alive) but don't turn your backs on these children. They have done nothing wrong.

cibaenopuro

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 27, 2010
What do you suggest? Throw them in the back of a convoy of 5 ton trucks and dump them into the streets of P-au-P? Why not just pull out the old brown paper bag to use as a litmus test. Here's another great idea. Why not document them, assign a file number and tatoo their file number on both wrists (in case they lose one). That will definitely make it harder for them to get back into the country, right?

What about the children of Haitians who were born in the DR? you want to revoke their right to citizenship (that's where the brown paper bag will really come in handy), who's gonna cut your cane and toil as construction laborers? I think it's a safe bet to say that there's not a job being occupied by a Haitian immigrant in the country that a Dominican would want to work for the same money.

If these Haitian street kids are from among the 1/3 of Haiti's population which was displaced after the earthquake then where would you have them go? They no longer have homes there so I guess it's okay with you to just walk these children to the border and push them out of the truck and just let them starve to death. There is quite a bit of money which has been set aside for aid to Haiti. There's also quite a substantial sum being spent in the DR for years, now. There is only so much that a handful of NGO's is going to be able to do effectively and Haiti's "government" is neither qualified nor trusted to direct the relief funding by themselves.

The answer will be a cooperative effort by government, private industry and charitable organizations and hopefully this "Haiti Summit" is more than just a paid vacation for its participants.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/wo...-resort-in-security-lockdown-for-Haiti-Summit

..and let's hope that the relief funding is more than just a windfall for NGO's and contractors.

Things are tough all over but you don't have to take it out on the children. Arrest their "pimps" and torture them until you find out where the childrens families are (then burn the bastards alive) but don't turn your backs on these children. They have done nothing wrong.

not our problem.

leave the sugarcane and construction work for dominicans and fine any dominican who hires an illegal immigrant. there are MANY poor dominicans who would want these jobs we aren't a rich country almost half of our population lives in poverty.

aren't they already starving and homeless in the dr? why else are they begging in the street? helping poor illegal haitians does nothing for this country but helping poor dominicans does.

deport, deport, deport they are trespassers. if someone breaks into my house and gives birth that doesn't mean that the child can live in my house. at least the streets will be less miserable and i don't have to feel like the only dominican in some areas of the country. get the foreigners out and let haiti and the rich countries deal with them our priority should be to help our poor. and we aren't just going after the kids hopefully after the kids are deported we can also deport the adults as well

Status
Not open for further replies.