I do not understand

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
I see here in the Dominican Republic Prostitution is legal. Why is it not regulated like the Netherlands? I am not saying I am a participant, but if it is regulated, safety is almost assured for the prostitute and (for a better word)the Johns and (lets not forget) Janes. There would be assurances for under age participation of both sexes ( cedular ) and Health check up for diseases. I read a Senator had sex and parented a child with a underage girl but there was no mention of jail time. Why (moreover he had the gall to run for office again)? Astounding!!

Reactions: mike l

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The official wording isn't that prostitution is "legal" it just isn't illegal but solicitation is defiantly illegal. Let you know if you can figure that out ;)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Money First

Why is it not regulated like the Netherlands?

... because this is not the NL.
Many laws are very different here and many are not enforced or people simply do not care about them.
It's somehow part of the 'culture'.

Prostitution is an important part of the Dominican service industry (caba?as, car washes, sex tourism, family income, etc.).

Money over morals.

donP

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Badpiece33 you took the words right out of my mouth........I AM NOT SAYING I AM A PARTICIPANT........That is pretty funny

Reactions: mike l

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
To understand anything, you first inquire, especially if it is confronted you daily. SIR!

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
No offense..but when you said....I am not saying I am a participant....it was tainted with just a little bit of guilt......thats the way it sounded to me....sir.....either way no big deal.....just an observation

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
What’s the big deal if he participates or not. If not he’s just one less Gringo to support the M&M’s variety of chocolates here!
As donP stated, it's “Money over Morals”.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
everyone participates, however some customers instead of paying with cash instead choose a type of barter system wherein they will trade a house, car, change diapers, pay for weddings etc. ...........thank god for crack as it has made some services much cheaper..............

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I see here in the Dominican Republic Prostitution is legal. Why is it not regulated like the Netherlands? I am not saying I am a participant, but if it is regulated, safety is almost assured for the prostitute and (for a better word)the Johns and (lets not forget) Janes. There would be assurances for under age participation of both sexes ( cedular ) and Health check up for diseases. I read a Senator had sex and parented a child with a underage girl but there was no mention of jail time. Why (moreover he had the gall to run for office again)? Astounding!!

Safety? What's that word mean?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
The official wording isn't that prostitution is "legal" it just isn't illegal but solicitation is defiantly illegal. Let you know if you can figure that out ;)

As told to me today:
"No te he pedido que me pague por sexo, pero en este pais los hombres ayudan a las mujeres cuando tienen una relacion, Si Uds. no lo hacen pues todo se acaba. No es una obligacion sino un detalle. Tu si conoces mi situacion, Eso no es prostituirse. Es ayuda."

And thats how it is. To solicit is to ask. They dont solicit but it is expected that you give. Like when you see a red kettle by the entrance of the supermarket towards the end of the year. You think its the Salvation Army when it may be just a guy with a red kettle and a bell.