Movie theatres vs home entertainment?

May 29, 2006
I'm wondering how a drive-in movie theater would do in the DR. I think the main problem would be worrying about rain-outs.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Oops, I just realized I said we take the kids to see a movie once a week, it should be once a month. The cost runs between US15 to 20 for all five of us.

Chip.
What movie do you go to?
In Santiago, at the movie located in the new mall I paid RD1,200.00 pesos for 3 kids and myself. (RD300.00 pesos each) only the entrance.
RD60.00 pesos for Milky way
RD165.00 pesos for pop corn and soda combo.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I'm wondering how a drive-in movie theater would do in the DR. I think the main problem would be worrying about rain-outs.

the prob for a drive in theater would be the need of soooo many parking lots.
imagine all those drunken drive in local and expats daddies and papi chulos, none able to park a car right within the marked area, each would need 2-3 parking slots per car, ha ha ha.
washouts are not a prob for a drive in,
you are sitting in your car, as long as you don't drive a darn roofless Hummer you stay dry, lol
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Chip.
What movie do you go to?
In Santiago, at the movie located in the new mall I paid RD1,200.00 pesos for 3 kids and myself. (RD300.00 pesos each) only the entrance.

my last visit to the Cine, the Cinema center at the Palma Shopping in Punta Cana, been last x-mas.
it was me and the wifey and our youngest and a friend with his wife and their daughter.
the entrance fee been 200 pesos each, per person, kids and adults the same rate. the Cine down here is really a great place, not too big, comfo seats, great screen and great sound.
i don't recall what we paid as total with the drinks and the popcorn etc everybody carried inside, like cine all around the globe that stuff is more expensive than at the store around the corner, yes, but it was well effordable and worth the money spent for a nice eve.
and Yes,
the most expensive point is always the obligation to bring the wifes afterwards for some cold ones and a snack and "been seen promenade" to the neighboured Hard Rock cafe, ha ha. great spot, great atmosphere, yep, bit pricy, lil presidente with tax in around 200 pesos, darn hamburger 600 pesos per piece, but what the heck, we bring 'em to that cine twice a year, lol.
a few weeks back i've been with my baby sis and bro in law and some friends at the cine in germany during my short 3 weeks visit, we didn't pay b/c the owner is a friend, but the regular rate for the movie been 12 euros per person, beers at the nice bar and restaurant attached there been 5 euros each, a plate with a good steak, salat plate, desert afterwards around 18 euros per plate. and that's german countryside, not talking big city nights.
comparing the rates i would say the PC rates are priced adequate for the purchased services.
Mike

May 29, 2006
The last Drive-in I went to was the second Pirates of the Caribbean and I saw it in Red Hook NY. Biggest drive-in I've ever been to and making money hand over fist. They had maybe 500-600 parking spaces. Everyone parked backwards to the screen and had a tailgate party while watching the movie. Lawn furniture everywhere and even some regular couches. The concession stand had three lines with registers for the entire movie(and it's a LONG movie) and they were selling burgers, mini pizzas, French fries, soda and shakes and popcorn, (of course some folks also brought their own food and beer with them as well). 12-15 teens working the concesssion stand and they were just cranking out the food.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Excellent Idea

I'm wondering how a drive-in movie theater would do in the DR.

Actually a very good idea.

But with every wish, there comes a curse (Bruce Springsteen), which would come at the end of the movie...

- stalled chatarras and cars with punctures (> bottles) blocking the ways out;
- the big SUV's drivers shooting at the lower folks for not getting out of their way quickly enough;
- 20+ % of the loud speaker poles flattened;
- motor oil puddles, trash (bottles !) knee high......

donP

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Actually a very good idea.

But with every wish, there comes a curse (Bruce Springsteen), which would come at the end of the movie...

- stalled chatarras and cars with punctures (> bottles) blocking the ways out;
- the big SUV's drivers shooting at the lower folks for not getting out of their way quickly enough;
- 20+ % of the loud speaker poles flattened;
- motor oil puddles, trash (bottles !) knee high......

donP

wooohahahaha
and the left behind chics complaining about their driving daddies who left without paying their fee, lol

May 29, 2006
They stopped using speakers years ago except for a few big ones above the concession stand. Now they put it on radio and you tune-in to hear the movie. They normally have one gate in and then several ways out that they open when the movie is over. I bet in the DR you could also add in a mini Car Wash as part of the service and a place where people could sit if they came by moto concho. Geez, I'm starting to think mini-empire here. Maybe a stage? Add in a gas station right by the gate and an ice cream stand for afterwards...

I did a little research on it a while back and they even have inflatible screens now for a place with like 100 parking spots. I think the infrastructure start up is about a half million including land for a big screen.

From what I hear about movies in the DR, people talk and shout a lot during the movies. With cars it wouldn't be so much of a problem. You could even have the movie broadcast in English or German for foreigners at the same time.

For SUVs, how about a VIP parking area?

I wish there was one near here. The closest one is 60 miles away.

One place I use to go to we'd come in a pick-up truck and another car. We brought two regular couches in the truck and parked sideways to the screen. We'd put one couch in front of the truck and keep the other one in the bed. On the way, we'd load up on junk food, candy and a couple cases of beers. Drive-ins are ALWAYS double features so it was about 1am before we headed home. Those were some good red-neck times...

chatarras = junkers???

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
For the junk, I'm sure you could hire a couple kids to clean up just for some free tickets and some food. Or give 5 pesos per bottle to turn them in and a 6 bottle limit-- more than that and kids would be bugging people for empties during the movie...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip.
What movie do you go to?

Hollywood used to be RD80. Las Colinas RD100. Plaza Internacional RD150.

3D more.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hollywood used to be RD80. Las Colinas RD100. Plaza Internacional RD150.

3D more.

I got a better idea.

WE have just installed a 100 inch pull down screen and a xvga projectorin capital. I download (dvdrip quality) brand new movies and see it at home with microwave fresh popcorns. These movies are not even out in DR and yet we get to see them for free while laying on leather sofa in shorts. I say, Cine AZB is the best theater in DR.
AZB

May 29, 2006
What does microwave popcorn sell for in the DR? It's 8 packs for $2 for the generic brand in the US. I can't believe what people pay for popcorn and soda in theaters. They don't even have fountains in most US theaters now because they want you to spent $2 for a bottle of water, bastards.

If I had one of those systems, I'd be inviting friends over with a 2 beer entrance fee. Free popcorn for all.

To Mods: New thread about theatres vs home entertainment?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

Good idea. I say home theater wins in all categories. Example: I was watching the movie last night, laying down on sofa, in my shorts and scratching my behind at the same time. bathroom is nearby and fridge is a stone throw away, not to mention, there is this pause button. best of all, movies are free.
AZB

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
absolutely the best solution, yep.
nobody walking by in front of you at the moment of the best scenes,
drinks are unlimited and exactly as cold as wished.
yep, DVD and Blue Ray is as actual as movies in theaters are anywhere on the globe, those guys copy everything andonce you found a reliable seller who sells good quality you get 'em cheaper already copied than a blank disc would be to download yourself.
a few weeks back in germany the new films in theater did not have any film on the actual list which we did not already watch here on DVD before.
cheers on the hometheaters,
for the upcoming soccer worldcup i will have the screen on the veranda, watching the games a few meters away from that ocean, fridge with the needed cold ones and the Mrs to serve them right aside.
i would not switch to any cine for that, ha ha
Mike

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002

Your wish, my command. :)
Hope I didn't miss out any posts from the old thread (Living in the DR is cheap). Please continue posting about movie/home entertainment in this one.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, we only have a 42 (or is it 40?) inch tv and home theatre system (or whatever is it called) and i'd still take that over any dominican cinema. one, there isn't any in POP ;) and two, no bloody AC that freezes me to the bone :)
plus when i walk to the bathroom i do not step on pieces of popcorn, lays, coca cola bottles, wrappers and crumbs. way to go, yeah!