Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: passport photo booth

  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default passport photo booth

    Can anyone tell me if there's a photo place available somewhere between Cabarete and Puerto Plata that the UK government would recognize as a valid entry? It's rather urgent

  2. #2
    Gold
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,445
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ted Jimenez studio in Puerto Plata (on old JFKennedy, now Juan Bosch) - I got my photos done there for renewing UK passport & it passed muster. I DID take in the UK renewal instruction leaflet about size, background etc & translated it for them.
    Ted Jimenez Studio

  3. #3
    Regular
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    Ted Jimenez studio in Puerto Plata (on old JFKennedy, now Juan Bosch) - I got my photos done there for renewing UK passport & it passed muster. I DID take in the UK renewal instruction leaflet about size, background etc & translated it for them.
    Ted Jimenez Studio
    Thanks Lambada, I was wondering if the Fuji place in Cabarete did it (only because we are seriously short of time) - we are travelling in 2.5 weeks and just realized my son's passport is out by 3 weeks. I was planning to Fed-ex expired passport to UK for one day service and get it sent back (horribly expensive) - anyone had to renew or get a temporary one in SDQ? Thanks in advance for responses.

  4. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default passport pics

    We had photos done in Cabarete I believe at the FUJI place , required 2 diffrent sizes ,and were very happy with the photos .

  5. #5
    Regular
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro's Wife 09 View Post
    We had photos done in Cabarete I believe at the FUJI place , required 2 diffrent sizes ,and were very happy with the photos .
    thanks very much I will try tomorrow

  6. #6
    Gold
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,445
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swellsurfcampcabarete View Post
    I was planning to Fed-ex expired passport to UK for one day service and get it sent back (horribly expensive) -
    Check that you can actually do that. Maybe with a child you can? For an adult the application forms you download from the Washington website are different from the ones you fill in if in the UK. An adult expat 'passing' as living in UK would need the forms sent out from the UK to make sure the correct ones were used.

  7. #7
    Gold
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,445
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The temporary ones are still done in SD but renewal is now via Washington - see
    http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/101...t-renewal.html

    http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/955...t-changes.html

  8. #8
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    3,807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swellsurfcampcabarete View Post
    we are travelling in 2.5 weeks and just realized my son's passport is out by 3 weeks. I was planning to Fed-ex expired passport to UK for one day service and get it sent back (horribly expensive) - anyone had to renew or get a temporary one in SDQ? Thanks in advance for responses.
    I doubt very much if you would get a Passport to the UK, get it processed & back to you here within the two & half weeks time-scale you mention EVEN if they accept your application. CERTAINLY there is no way (INMHO) that the passport will be renewed by Washington in the time-scale mentioned!

    My advice would be to call the Hon. British Consul in Puerto Plata & ask him if he could arrange a temporary passport for your son's journey 'Back to UK'. He can normally get this processed within 7 days - quicker if you sit on Santo Domingo once he has submitted your application! Things MAY have changed recently & MAYBE he is now empowered to process the Emergency Passport himself. Check that point with him!

    You should then make immediate application for the renewal of his passport once you land - either the same day or certainly the following day. If you use the check & send facility via The Post Office (see their service on their webpage) you should get it back within 14/20 days. You can take the fast track which guarantees 7 days as I recall!! The cost of doing it in the UK is going to be a lot less too ................ even with the 'Fast-Track' service!!

    Hon British Consul is Genni Mendez & his number is 809 586 4244. The address is Edificio PuertoPlatania, 2nd Floorm Calle Beller #51, Puerto Plata. If you need more PM me ~ Grahame.

  9. #9
    Regular
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BushBaby View Post
    I doubt very much if you would get a Passport to the UK, get it processed & back to you here within the two & half weeks time-scale you mention EVEN if they accept your application. CERTAINLY there is no way (INMHO) that the passport will be renewed by Washington in the time-scale mentioned!

    My advice would be to call the Hon. British Consul in Puerto Plata & ask him if he could arrange a temporary passport for your son's journey 'Back to UK'. He can normally get this processed within 7 days - quicker if you sit on Santo Domingo once he has submitted your application! Things MAY have changed recently & MAYBE he is now empowered to process the Emergency Passport himself. Check that point with him!

    You should then make immediate application for the renewal of his passport once you land - either the same day or certainly the following day. If you use the check & send facility via The Post Office (see their service on their webpage) you should get it back within 14/20 days. You can take the fast track which guarantees 7 days as I recall!! The cost of doing it in the UK is going to be a lot less too ................ even with the 'Fast-Track' service!!

    Hon British Consul is Genni Mendez & his number is 809 586 4244. The address is Edificio PuertoPlatania, 2nd Floorm Calle Beller #51, Puerto Plata. If you need more PM me ~ Grahame.
    Grahame, thanks for that info - I appreciate it.

    In fact, the UK passport office do a one day (4 hour) service (London office) if you go in person and that is what my ex-husband was going to do once he receives the passport from me. However, given what you have told me I will call Genni Mendez first and explore getting the temporary one here instead - it makes more sense.

    Thanks again to you and Lambada for your help on this one - Clare

  10. #10
    Gold
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,445
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Aha! The missing piece of the puzzle - your son's father lives in UK. BushBaby & I were scratching our heads last night wondering how you could pull this off via a third party, but the father - well, that's different.

    But yes, Mendez first for the temporary passport route. Then your back up plan if Plan A doesn't work out.

    Good luck & let us know how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •