Emmigrating to the dominican republic ? cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin Robinson

Sep 6, 2007
NO! Don?t click the ?back? button! This IS what you were looking for, I?ve just been a clever bunny by putting in the phrase you put in the search engine because that?s what I put in some time ago!

Yes, you will find sites that will have tons of houses for sale, others with all the legal mumbo jumbo you need to know and others still which will tell you about all the things you can?t get here (like Heinz Baked Beans!!!!!) but THIS is the site to truly find out what this place is all about ? trust me, I?ve worked my little pinkies to the bone going through all the toot on the World-Wide Web and this really is the site you need to explore.

Search through the forums and you will find answers to just about every question you can think to ask and then some! Here you will find the answers to the REALLY important questions you?ve been secretly fretting about like ?How much does beer TRULY cost??, ?Am I going to be raped in my bed at night?? (wishful thinking for some, I know?.) and ?Where can I buy a loaf of bread that hasn?t got 40kilos of sugar in it?? ? all this and MORE on DR1

And if you?re really, REALLY weird (like wot I is!) and want to ask questions which haven?t been thought of yet or if, like me, you?re a member of MULES (Most Unique Lot Ever Seen) and believe you have your own problems that no one else has, then look no further! Just post a question on the appropriate forum and Vwo-la! (Please notice that I am fast becoming multi-lingual!).

So you?ve read through all the postings that you?re interested in and asked the question which you think no one else has ever thought of (Pah!) and now you?re starting to get answers. Yes, you will get answers to even the most bizarre and mundane enquiry ? I know, because I speaka from da personal experienceo!!! What do you make of the answers? Are they reliable? Can they be believed? Or are they just the rantings of some onion-munching French-person (if you?re English), Canook (if you?re American) or smelly Belgian (if you?re French)? Funny how we all need to look down on someone, isn?t it? Don?t worry ? if you do come to live out here, you?ll have the Haitians!

Anyway, the answer is probably ? although I?ve forgotten the question now?.. The thing is, the forum I have had most to do with ? wanting to live in the North of the island ? has been this one and this one is moderated by a guy called Roger. Roger is the moderator equivalent of a Rottweiler with a bad attitude, a massive hangover and piles! Don?t get me wrong, he seems a lovely bloke but he tolerates no nonsense on his forum so you can ask away, secure in the knowledge that Roger will make sure that no one gives you a hard time! That said, this place is simply a corner of the world and as such, it takes all sorts to make it ? if you catch my metaphor??? Unfortunately, there are some very sad people who look at this site who?s only pleasure in life seems to be to write cynical and snotty comments on other people?s posts (questions). But even these few plonkers serve a purpose ? you?ll soon come to recognise them as they tend to be the ones who want to correct your spelling, tell you in colourful language what a fool you are and quote large sections of your post in their ?replies? but they do give you the chance to practice your inner sympathy?. Feel sorry for them that in this island paradise (and although it does have it?s drawbacks, it IS an island and compared to the parts of the UK I hail from, it IS Paradise), they have still been unable to get a life?

Cretins apart ? and they are, thankfully, few and far between ? you will be ASTONISHED at the depth of kindness and support you get from this forum. Out here, there is an abundance of sun, sea, sand and that as well, yet people remember? They remember what it was like for them when they first, tentatively, broached the subject with their other ?alf about moving abroad. How they finally managed to convince them they were serious! How they overcame all the standard objections ? ?What about me footy/ball-game (which I THINK means Baseball, or Rounders to civilised people)/legalised GBH (also known as Ice Hockey)/Petanque (see, I don?t leave le French persons out!)/Rugby (for people who like funny shaped balls and cauliflower ears)/TELLY???? ? by the simple expedient of mentioning the cheap booze. They remember the sleepless nights wondering if they were doing the ?right? thing by even considering the Dom Rep (or DR to us experienced folk who, like me, have been here a whole month!). Most of all, they remember the endless, potentially stupid and therefore seemingly embarrassing questions. Well, on this site, you will get real, genuine people who will treat you with respect and understanding, who will take the time to answer the most mundane enquiry and who will willingly guide you through the inevitable pitfalls, misunderstandings and (potentially) expensive mistakes that we all make, with no thought of personal reward, save for the knowledge that they have truly helped.

In my quest to overcome naivety, I have encountered many, many such good and helpful souls (and my share of plonkers!) who are far too numerous to mention but ask a question ? any question ? and you?ll see what I mean for yourself. That said, there are two posters (contributors to this forum) who I really MUST mention. ANYTHING you get from them has already had just the right amount of salt added to it to make it ?taste right? (so you don?t have to add a further ?pinch?). They will tell it like it really is, warts and all, but they will be helpful and constructive in their replies and if you?re ever fortunate enough to meet them, you will very soon take to them to the extent that you will want to have an affair with them, adopt them, have them adopt you or at the very least, steal several of their wonderful dogs (and Shakka and Rosie are MINE so hand?s off!) depending on your age, versatility or inclination!!!.

I am talking about Nikki Simon and Whirleybird. First Nikki ? she actually took two hours (!) off work just to come out and talk to us. She was not in the least phased by the list of questions I had brought with me in my folder (bible) nor at the fact I was perspiring a trifle?. (sweating like a pig!) in the heat! Instead, she just answered everything I put to her as calm as an English rose and then tried to pay for her own coffee! She made what I thought was a fatal mistake by saying she would welcome any other questions I might have as she left, but although I have written to her many, many times since, she has always found the time to reply and never once suggesting me the nuisance I thought I must surely be becoming. Unfortunately, she is married to a hulking great diving instructor but what a wonderful person she is!

That leaves Whirleybird. My only criticism of this fantastic lady is that first, she will suck you in by introducing you to her wonderful collection of dogs (9 at the moment but this is down from 13 and her husband ? the Hard Man ? has said categorically ?NO MORE? but is the one who keeps bringing back the strays?.). She will then tell you that one of them in particular has an intense disliking for Blacks/Whites/Yellows/Browns of whatever colour you happen to be and you?ll find that the blasted animal won?t leave you alone ? following you around, demanding a fuss from JUST you, staring at you with adoring, gentle eyes until, despite yourself, you begin to become hopelessly attached to the wretched mongrel AND THEN she?ll tell you she couldn?t possibly part with it, BUT?..she does HAPPEN to know of a dog (or 17) that would be ?just right? for you?.. Seriously though, we met with this lady and her husband for a ?quick lunch? which lasted four hours (!), got invited to their fantastic farm to ?finish off the conversation? and ended up staying for two days (which would probably have been longer but for the fact her husband had an urgent hospital appointment) topped off by being served the best spare ribs you have ever tasted in your life!!! When we were first coming out here, I posted a question asking if anyone knew somewhere to stay for a few days whilst we found a place to rent longer term (DO NOT EVER STAY at the Hotel Kaoba ? take it from me!!!!! <- yes five exclamation marks) and she replied she would be glad to have us but we?d never find her place unaided. ?Yea, right!? I thought to myself but she wasn?t kidding on either count ? no one WOULD ever find her place without help and I now know it wasn?t just a line ? not even having met us, this wonderful lady and her fantastic old man would gladly have put us up ? ANYTHING to help, and that just sums them up.

So, in summary, yes, I want to move out here to write a book (surprise, surprise), DR1 is the BEST site for information on moving to or living in the Dom Rep, ignore the cynics ? you get the poor little darlings everywhere ? post your questions, no matter how seemingly inane, don?t be nasty to other posters or incur the wrath of the Roger and bask in the astonishing kindness and help you will receive from all the genuine contributors to this site, especially the lovely Nikki and the fantastic Whirleybird and her one-day-soon-but-not-too-soon-damn-I-promised-I-wouldn?t-mention-it-again-but-blast-I?ve-come-this-far-so-I?d-better-finish-it-now husband-to-be (sorry Charlie). Bookmark this site now and do think seriously about coming here to live ? the good far outweighs the bad, believe me, not least of which because of the great friends you will soon make out here

Best wishes,

Colin, his missus and Juan and Pedro (as in ?One Pedro Mendes? who should never have left the Mighty Spurs ? nothing to do with the clowns in San Antonio! - the two house lizards we?ve adopted so far!)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
As you are now multi-lingual Colin, will you be writing your book be in several languages so as to capture ALL the Ex-Pats that live here? :chinese: ;)

I need a replacement for my copy of War & Peace (presently supporting my computer of the floor but getting more dishevelled by the day) do you think you will be able to keep your book down to that size?

Don't forget 'that golf game' sometime! Better make it before the North Coast Charity Classic in September as team captains will want to know all your strengths (& weaknesses) well in advance!! This IS the sporting social event of the year!

Keep taking the vitamins for your pinkies :ermm: :bunny: ~ Grahame.

Colin Robinson

Sep 6, 2007
Ok - So I MEANT Robert! I didn't want to use his real name as he might have got upset....No, I just forgot and didn't bother checking - my bad!

The Book will be in many, many languages when it becomes hyper-sucessful and after I get my first, million pound royalties cheque (that's "check to you Colonials), I will take you all out for a night in Sosua on me for having the decency to read my first, tenative ramblings - that's a promise!

It will NOT be the size of War & peace and anway, everyone knows that's just a tall stoy-ry; if Tolkein and Rowlings can have more than one volume, than so can I!

As far as Golf is concerned, all team captains should know my strength is knowing EXACTLY where the stupid little white ball should go when I belt it and my weakness is simply not being able to get it to go anywhere near there!

Thank you for your advice Bushbaby - but I am taking hormones for my pinkees. I asked my doctor what the difference was between vitamins and hormones and he said you can't hear vitamins - ka-ting! - the oldies are the besties which is why Generals keep their armies up their sleevies...

You lot may laugh, but if people put "Emmigrating to Dominican Republic" into Google, find my post and become active members of this forum thanks to me, you'll all end up thanking me, so there! Thspppp! (That's supposed to be a raspberry!)

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
In an effort to live up to my "handle" and calling....

Most people who are searching would probably put "Emigrating" instead of "Emmigrating" since even "Colonials" know that there is only one m in the word.
;);)

Colin Robinson

Sep 6, 2007
Yes, but most people know the English are largely illiterate - well those that stay there are anyway - so when they type into Google, they use two M's!!!
Thspppp! Thsppp!

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Had you mentioned "the mighty spurs" earlier on, you would have saved me a lot of reading! LOL

Colin Robinson

Sep 6, 2007
Hi Black Dog - Does that mean you ARE a connoisseur (Yes La Prof, I did a spell check!) of football or that you aren't a Spurs fan? Four players in the squad including HALF the strike force (if you include Heskey and who else but Cappelo - don't care if I spelt it rong! - would include Heskey???) can't be all bad.

Any England supporters gonna be watching the games out here? I don't want to be alone in a bar with thousands of Germans taking the mick....?

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Chelsea fan for over 45 years! Having said that I quite like Spurs and I'm a big fan of 'Arry!

Colin Robinson

Sep 6, 2007
Did they have enough money to buy fans 45 years ago then? I went to Stamford Bridge once back then and remember meeting the Chelsea manager halfway through the second half. He asked me if I were staying to the end and when I replied I was, he chucked a bunch of keys at me and asked if I'd lock up? Still, you show SOME wisdom in liking Sir Harry who, to the faithful, is a chip off the Bill Nick!

Seriously though - does anyone who supports England - even bought and paid for Chelsea fans - intend to watch the World Cup anywhere in the North? I would love to watch the games with some fellow supporters, particularly as we are allowed to wear our England shirts out here, which I gather they can't do back in the UK?

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I remember trying to climb over the wall at White Hart Lane but a copper stopped me and made me go back in and watch the rest of the match! LOL I could do this all day!
Jose Oshea's would be your best bet in Cabarete!

Colin Robinson

Sep 6, 2007
That place has always puzzled me? The "Jose" suggests it's Spanish, the "O'Shea's" makes it Irish and I've seen people complain on this forum that they promise to show major sporting events and then, simply, Don't!

Oh well, I guess I'll try there unless I can spot any other English wandering around? Maybe I should have asked if any bars around here sell warm, disgusting beer that's already passed through the human system several times? - 'cos that's where my (current) countrymen will be!

I'd heard that joke about climbing over the wall from a chap who was nearest to me down Chelsea way... Trouble is I couldn't quite catch the punchline as his megaphone gave up! I can do this all day too....

One to think about as, despite being bought by Chelsea as a fan, you see to profess to know a bit about football - name five teams that played in the old English league divisions 1-4 that had the letter "X" in their names...And don't use Google!

That's stumped you, eh? (Stumped is a cricketing terms for colonial observers)

Mar 2, 2008
Colin, although I prefer the NBA playoffs and real American football, I hear that the largest screen in Sosua at Rocky's will be offering world cup 'football'.

Rick, being Canadian, has certain loyalties to the UK. I personally don't get it, but to each their own. (For those who simply do not get subtle sarcastic humor here's a big smiley face to cheer you up :))

But seriously, Colin, Rocky's will be offering the world cup on a very large projection screen, It's great fun.

P.S. I will provide the popcorn and side-bar commentary.

Colin Robinson

Sep 6, 2007
Now THAT's what I wanted to hear about! And it took a Yank and a Salinger lover to tell me about it! Shame on you Brits out there! Why this guy even likes the NBA (No Bloody Action!) and still thinks that what the Americans call "Football" has ANYTHING to do with a ball sport, rather than simply watching some scantilly-clad dolly-birds showing off their knickers while a group of padded blokes in helmets have homo-erotic cuddles with each other in big groups while the clock keeps stopping!

Thank you catcherintherye (I assume you're a Salinger fan or, as an American, did you mean to call yourself Catch Her In The Eye?). I will put you down for one of the first editions of my book (although it's a children's story - and I make no comment about the intellectual capabilities of American's in general, if you don't mention the mistake we made on the 4th. July a few years back when we should have kicked you lot out of America, made you move to England and moved there ourselves while we still had the chance).

Rick, all the other commonwealth subjects and I will raise a glass to Her Majesty as we stuff you lot at a REAL ball game (seriously though, how can it be a "World Series" when only you lot are allowed to take part???) but could you serve good, British peanuts as you talk to yourself in the bar off to the side please?

Thank you - Rocky's it is!

Mar 2, 2008
JD who?? 'Catch her in the eye' by name and 'catcher her in hhe eye' by nature.

Colin, I will be returning June 5. Actually, a likable enough Brit (another Colin, by the way) will be picking me up at POP, and I will be heading to Rocky's before early evening. I will make a point of searching you out when I arrive, and I look forward to talking with you between quarters (or is is it periods in 'soccer?).

:)

iamcanadian

May 17, 2010
Hi Colin, thanks for starting this thread. Very amusing and hopefully informative. I have a question that I bet hasn't been asked in a long while......here goes.....How do I bookmark this thread? eh? Anyone? My husband and I are in the "gathering info" stage before we actually make the move to the DR and this forum is helping us a lot.
One other thing. I assume there are no hockey teams in the DR. Goody! Being a "good Canadian girl" (which is what we call ourselves, well the girls do) I'm supposed to enjoy the game but I can't stand hockey and to live without the stupid playoffs would suit me just fine. I blame my Mother, she's from England....:)

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
HOMO EROTIC CUDDLES? There isn't anything across the pond that compares to the NFL.....The NFL IS TOTAL BAD ASS..........Incredible sport that REQUIRES SKILL.......AND LOTS OF IT......to each his own.........but get real....

iamcanadian

May 17, 2010
I never knew that men felt that way about American Football.....this is great! I've thought the game was extremely touchy-feely in a gay sort of way. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, by the way, but how can you not notice that the men nestle their hands into another mans back-side. haha. It's the funniest game out there. Homo erotic cuddles....tru dat!

Status
Not open for further replies.