Cost of visiting D.R. for two weeks

empyre02

Jun 2, 2010
Hey everyone,
I am traveling to D.R. for two weeks in early July and I am flying into Santo Domingo and plan on staying there for about a week. After that I am possibly headed to the north coast for a few days bouncing around up there and then possibly a few more days moving inland towards Dajab?n and south from there back to Santo Domingo. I am looking to travel "backpacker style" and looking for a more cultural experience on a budget rather than all-inclusive resorts. I am taking 1,000.00 USD for my expenses and I am curious if that would be enough for me for budget hotel/hostel/whatever type accommodation and food/presidente while I am there. I will be taking Caribe Tours to get me around and taxi to and from the airport. Other than that I am using gua-guas to get me around. Is that amount going to be sufficient for what I am aiming for? Any advise and expertise is greatly appreciated. I know there are some experts here so any help and opinions would be great!

Thanks again!

joejamchicago

Dec 29, 2008
If you are careful, $1000 should suffice. You will spend more in Santo Domingo than elsewhere. I highly recommed the Hotel Venezia, 809-682-5108--very nice room with a/c, refrigerator, and private bath (and safe in room) for $45 USD--a real value. Very close to colonial zone (7 minute walk). For taxi from airport, use Freddy at <alwaysreadyfreddy@hotmail.com>. Lots of cheap, nice places in Sosua and Cabarete in the $30-$40 per night range. (In Sosua Rocky's and Villa Antonia come to mind).
For a cheap room in the country (in Las Canas, twenty minutes east of Cabarete just before Gaspar Hernandez) ($35), contact Michael Johns at <mikejohns09@gmail.com> phone 829-754-3948. Room with bath, kitchen privileges, 30 seconds walk to nice, undeveloped beach. Enjoy! Let us know how it all works out! Joe

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I just came back last week and spent about $500 for 2 weeks on the North Coast (not including my airfare)...I rented a nice 3 bedroom house and cooked in most of the time... the groceries were inexpensive if you eat local food rather than imported stuff.... I found that spagetti sauce and wine was about the same price there as it is in North America.... but rice, beans, plantains etc... are really inexpensive. Drinks are a lot less expensive if you go to the local discos rather than the touristy ones... It cost on average 35-45 pesos at the calmados for a bottle of beer and about 50 pesos in the discos for the large ones..I never took the bus but I was told that motoconchos are more expensive than taxis ... hope this is helpful to you.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I never took the bus but I was told that motoconchos are more expensive than taxis ... hope this is helpful to you.

I don't know about Costambar, but in Puerto Plata a taxi to most places in the city is 120 pesos while a moto costs, at most, 40 pesos. Where did you get the idea that taxis are cheaper - unless it is for a group of more than 3?

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I don't know about Costambar, but in Puerto Plata a taxi to most places in the city is 120 pesos while a moto costs, at most, 40 pesos. Where did you get the idea that taxis are cheaper - unless it is for a group of more than 3?

my friend told me that because his cousin and brother are taxi drivers.... in POP I never paid so I can't confirm that it's true...it's what I was told...we were usually a group when we went out by taxi so maybe thats why

sammytheman

Sep 18, 2007

Taxis use more gas than motorcycles, don't you know that? Duh!!! Hahaha!!! Just kidding. Who would want to ride a motorcycle on the back of a dude when you can take a taxi?

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Where did you find 50 peso Grande's? please do tell me where to go! I can post up there for quite a while!!!;)

I'll ask my boyfriend the name of the place and get back to you. One of the places was an open air patio type place with a dance floor in POP with a big projection screen that had the baseball games aired... and it was beside a cocoa processing facility if that's any help.. LOL

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I just came back last week and spent about $500 for 2 weeks on the North Coast (not including my airfare)...I rented a nice 3 bedroom house and cooked in most of the time... the groceries were inexpensive if you eat local food rather than imported stuff.... I found that spagetti sauce and wine was about the same price there as it is in North America.... but rice, beans, plantains etc... are really inexpensive. Drinks are a lot less expensive if you go to the local discos rather than the touristy ones... It cost on average 35-45 pesos at the calmados for a bottle of beer and about 50 pesos in the discos for the large ones..I never took the bus but I was told that motoconchos are more expensive than taxis ... hope this is helpful to you.

500 Canadians Dollars or USD ? Does it include the rental of the house ? How much was the house rental if you don't mind me asking ?? Thanks
Always hunting for a good deal :bunny:

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
500 Canadians Dollars or USD ? Does it include the rental of the house ? How much was the house rental if you don't mind me asking ?? Thanks
Always hunting for a good deal :bunny:

I've pm'd you the details of the rental etc.....