Ede Norte - Electricity Issues

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
You may have heard the Ede Norte office in Puerto Plata has pretty much fired everyone for not being able to do their damn jobs. I am not sure wholesale clean out was fair or warranted and that is not the point of this thread.

I guess I want to know if this is the reason for the longer then normal, longer then scheduled outages????

In Puerto Plata we have had multiple shorter outages anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour more then once a day. Then our scheduled outages starts early and ends late. Normally we are out 4 hours a day. The last 5 days it has averaged 5 1/2 hours plus short outages. I have my backup power but I feel sorry for those who have nothing.

Anyone heard anything???

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Embezzlement

The North Coast Adscene being distributed today has an article about people at EDENORTE being fired for suspected embezzlement. A trial is being considered.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Two appeared in Court for suspected fraud and the case has been remanded (on bail). The fuss is over all the others who were fired, those not involved in the fraud. Some of these include the tecnicos so there are fewer of them to repair things which have gone wrong. This could account for longer blackouts. In my area of Puerto Plata, the blackouts haven't been any longer, but then it's Bayardo so you wouldn't expect much difference in this area. Ours was more noticeable immediately after the election, but not after the recent standoff at the Edenorte offices.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I am in a "B" area so we know we get a 4 hour blackout daily. Not a big deal normally. But when it goes at 8pm and does not come back on till 2am I would hate to be without at least a fan!!!!

Wonder when the next payment is due or overdue???? I know they make payments monthly but cannot remember what day they are actually due...

It is an unbelievable mess. I saw on the news about everyone being fired at Ede Norte. I read about the 2 for taking funds but the rest it said were let go for not being able to do their jobs properly. Will be interesting to watch this play out.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
I was near the center of Sosua Abajo this past Wed. night. I watched the police firing shots into the air to scatter the large number of people that gathered earlier in the area. It was told to me people where burning (not sure what, maybe trash) in protest for not having power at least over 18 hours. And that this has been happening day after day since after the election. Maybe the newly elected officials will do something given their posters are still hanging in the area.:laugh:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It is an unbelievable mess. I saw on the news about everyone being fired at Ede Norte. I read about the 2 for taking funds but the rest it said were let go for not being able to do their jobs properly. Will be interesting to watch this play out.

'Not being able to do jobs properly' is a bit of a euphemism :cheeky: - I gather the issue is the age-old one of certain customers not being listed in Edenorte's records yet having a 'friend' inside the office, who arranges for provision of power with no contract, no bills etc but of course such customers show their appreciation to the 'friend'.

We know this was happening 17+ years ago because a place we rented for a short while then had such an arrangement & the landlady was very firm that if any bills came, we were to give them to her & NOT go to the Edenorte office with them. She said our power costs were included in the rent we paid her. As newbies then it took us a few weeks to work out what this was all about. My guess is this has been relatively common across PP & at last CDEEE have twigged and, more importantly, have decided to do something about it.

Of course, some of these 'arrangements' might have been in place well before some of the recently fired staff were originally hired, so it is perfectly possible that some of them have no detailed knowledge nor are they reaping benefits.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
.....maybe coraaplata could do the same.There are people there that hook you up illegally and then ask for money to keep quiet,the one I have seen makes a good living riding round all day collecting his pay-offs apparently he does actually work at coraplata and most people know what he does and dont care

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Just examples of why the entire country has power issues. If one person steals and others know about it then they are complicit. If we accept that the stealing is okay we are all part of the problem. I understand the position you were in Lambada. Sometimes it takes us a while to see what is really happening. So much of this is systemic! And I know that if that were to happen to you now you would not go along with it.

It will not be changed from above it must start from the ground! NO one has the right to electricity without paying for it or without a gov't program that provides it.

Is firing all these people the answer? I don't think so. It just changes the names of the people on the take. Or it just involves new people. They need to get to the root cause in order to get this fixed!

The other day someone approached me to "code" my cable box so I can get cable forever without paying another peso. No thanks.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
The PLD-and-partners' sweep on 16 MAY (regardless of how they did it) will, as every such change in the past, spur theft and sabotage by "botellas" of losing parties who lose their jobs. This will crescendo through 16 AUG when the turnover is complete.

In the U.S. the Dems White House employees stole cutlery, bathrobes and the "W" keys from all the keyboards. Here it's combustible distribution, power, air traffic control, school systems, you name it.

DUCK!