Punta Cana Resort 'Trick'?

E

engineerfg

Have any of the other experienced expats on this board figured out a 'trick' to stay at the top punta cana or bavaro resorts on some form of 'domestic' rate?

In most other similar places in the world that I've frequented, there's always a 'local' approach that works...

Have any of the other experienced expats on this board figured out a 'trick' to stay at the top punta cana or bavaro resorts on some form of 'domestic' rate?

In most other similar places in the world that I've frequented, there's always a 'local' approach that works...

Yes, But if I told you it would not be a secret anymore and I wouldnt get away with it anymore. ;)

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
When I worked in Sosua and had to put someone up in an all-inclusive in the area, I just went to the front desk and asked for the local rate. I guess they figured since I had long pants on, I actually lived there and gave it to me with no questions. Otherwise, have a Dominican friend make to call for you to reserve a room. You have to know the local price before you start and I think it has to do with availability of rooms.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I used to book hotel rooms at Gran Almirante Hotel in Santiago for some of my foreigner friends to stay over night and I usually get a 15% discount doing this on my name with my business card.
The fees are the same for local or foreigner..

JJ

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
When I lived in Trinidad I was able to get "Trini" rates when going to Tobago. I've not heard of any kind of local rates here in Punta Cana / Bavaro. Seeing that these are all-inclusives I doubt you're going to get any kind of discounted rate.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
We always used to ask for the local rate and then showed our residencia to get it. As pointed out by a previous poster it does help if you ask in Spanish and are appropriately garbed. Same thing at places like the aquarium - local rate are much cheaper - just show your residencia.

Feb 7, 2007
Most likely than not, local rates are way more expensive than the rates you can get from the hotel's website or EUROPEAN (german) travel agency.

I suggest you book online on german travel sites, you will find the best rates. Also hotels' websites.

For example, Ocean Blue in PUJ via oceanhotels.net has the best rates. but there is a german agency offer (hotel only) right now for about 70% of that price. Local rate directly from the hotel is about 30-40% more than the hotel's web rate. You have to shop around.

At least in Punta Cana, local rate means more expensive.

Also, if you visit local DR travel sites, such as colonial Tours, Domitur, etc. you will find the local rates are more expensive than the International rates.

E

engineerfg

great insight rubio. the examples you give show the opposite of the thinking here vs. thailand and other places globally. I guess it's because of the lack of domestic and local 'walk-up' traffic by backpackers.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
backpackers are a bit rare of a spezies over here, yes, but locals not.
we spend 2nd last weekend/dominican mothers day a few days at a resort which asked for $300.- per night and we had no prob to find spanish speaking conversations everywhere. locals like to spend some days at the resorts specially over specific holiday weekends and they spend their money on it, the resorts take it happily.
you get the best rates by Rubio's recommendations, use the international travelsites and pay right there online with a credit card.
you find good hotel-only deals all around, on american, canadian, german sites, depending to which clientel a specific resort is usuaally gathering to.
local rates are higher, in many cases much higher.
many of my dominican friends and family ask me to do their bookings for the weekends when they may not have a sufficient credit card fill on their own cards, lol.
the only exception of the rule would be if you know a sales manager in person, here you will receive his/her lowest available 'touroperator' rate.
cheers
Mike

ElSul

Jun 20, 2010
Could anyone help with a few names of the German online travel agencies mentioned above?

ElSul

Jun 20, 2010
Vielen Dank Rubio. Great for searching discounted flights via a German hub, too. Bookmarked.