Inverter Battery Cost in Sosua/Puerto Plata?

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
Hello to all the DR living experts,

Does anyone know the average cost of buying a car battery for an inverter in Sosua or Puerto Plata?

Can anyone recommended a store to purchase?

I need the batteries for an Inverter that will only be used for an electric stove top appliance and a fan at night, so it doesn't need to be top end, just something that will last a while.

The cost I've heard so far is $3,500 pesos per battery.

Is this true? Here in the states I can get a cheap battery for $50.

If possible I'd like to stay in this pay range... but of course I know we are talking about purchasing in the DR :ermm:

Thanks.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
La sirena in POP has some different batteries. :glasses:

Yes I saw them yesterday and it looked like you need 4 batteries and then the invertor itself.

The 4 battery plans ranged in price from $12k rd - $17k Rd.....but i am not sure what is needed and or required etc.

How many volts etc..

The reason I am looking is I need additional back up power as Sosua is having way too many electrical outages.

This year's hurricane season is expected to be one of the busiest with many major storms.

I am ready to buy an invertor system....NOW !

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You don't use a car battery for an inverter.

Deep cycle batteries will cost RD$3300+/- about everywhere.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Think Golf

Here in the states I can get a cheap battery for $50.
Yes, but it would not be a golf car 6 V deep cycle good quality battery as this is what you need.
They are not that much cheaper in the US than here, around a hundred $.

donP

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
La sirena in POP has some different batteries. :glasses:

I hate this country.

I mean the scenery is beautiful but the people's way of life is soooooo backwards.

I just called La Sirena to get the price range for the batteries and I was told that this information can not be given out?

:surprised :speechles :angry:

I'm like WTF?

How am I going to know how much money to bring if I don't know the price range?

They are like just come and look. We have lots of batteries here.

After 10 minutes of back and forth they finally said the cheapest one is 4,000 pesos. Which to me isn't that cheap.

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
Car Battery vs Inverter Battery

Yes, but it would not be a golf car 6 V deep cycle good quality battery as this is what you need.
They are not that much cheaper in the US than here, around a hundred $.

donP

I'll take your word for it.

But out of curiosity, what is the difference?

Why wouldn't a car batter work?

The batteries are not for me but for a dominican friend.

So yes, I'M BEING CHEAP.

They just need to use the electricity for a stove top once a day, and run the fan at night. That's it. No tv. No refrigerator. No computer.

Just a cheap stove top to prepare some rice and chicken, and a fan at night to keep things cool. How much juice could this possible take?

(sorry just venting)

Thank you for the responses.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Not on the phone

I just called La Sirena to get the price range for the batteries and I was told that this information can not be given out?
You mean today on a Sunday and this early?
How can you expect a muchacha (it was a girl, right?) to be awake and search for the price of a aaaeeeh battery????.... :tired: :tired: :tired:

Phones here are used to chat and gossip and not to pass on information... :bunny:
It's amazing that you got through anyway. :cheeky:

donP

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I'll take your word for it.

But out of curiosity, what is the difference?

Why wouldn't a car batter work?

A car battery is designed to give a high burst of current to crank the engine. It's not designed to be completely discharged. If you constantly charge, then fully discharge a car battery, it's metal plates inside will soon warp and you will kill the battery.

A battery used for an inverter is designed to be fully charged then discharged. For that reason it is called a "deep cycle" battery.

Most deep cycle batteries sold here are 6 Volts. Most inverters operate at 24V, so you will need a minimum of 4 batteries in series to make up 24V.

There are some 12V inverters around though. For that you will only need 2 batteries.

Hope that helps without getting too technical.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Stoves are better run on gas. You have to do a lot of homework, know who to trust, before you part with your money.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
maps.google.com

On Ave Circunvalacion roughly on the southerly side shown on this map is an Auto Adornos (auto accessories) store called Las Santiaguerras. They sell inverter batteries too.

The last lot I bought were the new Interstate batteries which they sell with a 3 year warranty. They were significantly cheaper than La Sirena and they also deliver.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
You are getting good information here. First almost no one cooks with electricity. Get a 2 burner stove top and a propane tank.

Then get a small inversor that runs on 2 batteries. more then enough for a light, fan and a TV.

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
My husband just built an inverter for his family. He originally had intended to build one that would power the fans and light and TV and he said it would cost around 300$ and that the batteries were about 125$ each and the inverter could run non just two deep cycle batteries.
He ended up building a more powerful inverter that would power the washing machine and the water pump as well as the lights, fans and TV. An inverter that could power all that stuff needs 4 batteries. His family lives outside SF de Macoris, so I am assuming he bought most of the stuff at La Sirena.
I'm not sure what the total cost was for everything but he did buy 4 batteries at 125$ each and he did build the inverter himself so maybe around 600$? Anybody know if this sounds about right?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
After 10 minutes of back and forth they finally said the cheapest one is 4,000 pesos.

That's right - we recently bought some replacement inverter batteries from La Sirena in PP (where we live) & the price was just over RD$4000 per battery, so she gave you the correct info. I believe you can get a cheaper brand at around RD$3300 but it isn't something we would choose to skimp on.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Inverluz in Moca has a good house brand of inverters. A 1.5 KW inverter from them is about 8,000 $RD which is less than $250 US. I believe they also sell smaller inverters if you don't need a 1.5 KW unit. The price for a new inverter from them was less than repairing an old TRACE DR series 1.5 KW inverter. In Moca you can also get batteries for less money at Luis Hernandez and Associates.
My 36/24 Inverter made by them has performed flawlessly for well over 6 months now.

Inverluz is deserving of consideration for an inverter: great bang-for-the-bucks. I made a lengthy post/thread about my research and experience with pics on DR1.

Feb 7, 2007
Exinca

I bought 2 batteries for my 1.2 kW inverter two months ago at EXINCA in SD.

The batteries were on special until the end of may, RD$3.195 each, cash. Even got comprobante fiscal. They are EXIDE batteries, made in USA, 225 amper hours. So you can make a trip to SD to get them, have coffee on El Conde and buy the batteries. The difference between buying them in SD and POP will be substantial, and you can pay for your day trip with it, and maybe save a bit as well.

Maybe they still have the special.

Tel?fono 809 540 1895 / 809 566 9525
Direcci?n C/poncio Sabater #25 Casi Esq. W. Churchill Ens Pa
Localidad Santo Domingo

P.S. You cannot use car batteries, as mentioned. You need to use deep cycle (ciclo profundo) batteries. Also, why electric stove? That must use up a lot of current. I don't think you can run electric stove with an inverter, too much power consumption. Or you would need a powerful inverter (24V) with 4 batteries .... electric stoves... i haven't seen many of those in the DR...

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Also make sure you get a warrantee for your batteries AND inverter...and save it! Lots of Horror stories. I bought 8 T-105's from LaSerina in POP and they never passed the specific gravity test. I have a neighbor that purchased T-105's in Santiago and has the same problem. I am an electrical eng and electrician so I know what I'm doing. I believe that the DR got a bad batch of Trogans from the US. You know...like all the junk gets shipped here for re-sale no matter what it is.
I have found that TRACE in POP is excellent and warrantee everything. I am testing them now! Learn by doing!!!
Forget about the electric stove top! Go Propane!!!!
Respectfully
Oh yea...T-105's are about $125.00 US each

Reactions: mike l