Dont' drink and ....surf!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
A nice fria just end up on my laptop?s keyboard, any advise as what to do, now that the keys are all sticky. Should I wash it down with cloro or mistolin? :cheeky:

No joke?what can I do?

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Turn the laptop over and let the liquid come out. You can also take it apart as much as you can and let it dry out. I spilled water once on my keyboard at work and had a replace it. It might happen to you. So, research where to get a replacement. If it is working, but sticky, you can get special wipes for the computer in a store, or clean it with a slightly wet napkin. Good luck!

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
It ?s probably toast, but you can try this.

To clean the keys, don't use anything containing water (or cloro or Mistolin - what are you, friggin nuts? jejejeje). Instead, wet a soft cloth with isopropyl alcohol and wipe the keyboard when the machine is off. (this is good regular maintenance for everyone else too. Keyboards and your mouse get filthy in time, and nobody usually cleans them).

DO NOT use canned air to blow the keyboard - you will just drive any liquid and dirt deeper into the keyboard / electronics.

If liquid comes out of the keyboard when you turn it upside down, you can try this. Take the battery out of the laptop, and try popping the keys off (as long as you remember where they go) and then lay the keyboard down overnight on a bed of dry rice (yes, upside down, with the rice contacting the exposed innards of your keyboard). The rice will absorb any liquid and might save it. (this also works for cellphones that get wet.)

If this doesn't work, you can try an external keyboard and see if it will control the computer.

Suerte.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
It's alive!!! I put it up side down for the night and it's working...still a bit sticky but I'll have it clean tomorrow. Sure won't do this again!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Done this several times (coffee, juice, etc). You already did the first thing to do - turned it upside down - But your keys will remain sticky. They are normally easy to pop out and wash, then use alcohol like someone suggested to clean the little plastic buttons the keys sit on. If you have a Dell laptop like me you can also easily take the whole keyboard out for more easy cleaning, just by popping the plastic tab just above the keyboard and unplugging it. Good luck...

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Done this several times (coffee, juice, etc). You already did the first thing to do - turned it upside down - But your keys will remain sticky. They are normally easy to pop out and wash, then use alcohol like someone suggested to clean the little plastic buttons the keys sit on. If you have a Dell laptop like me you can also easily take the whole keyboard out for more easy cleaning, just by popping the plastic tab just above the keyboard and unplugging it. Good luck...

I do have a Dell Inspiron 6000, how do I pop the keyboard out?

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I do have a Dell Inspiron 6000, how do I pop the keyboard out?

Juanita
Make sure the laptop is OFF and disconnect the mains supply. A the top of the keyboard there is a flat plastic cover where the on/off button etc., is. At the right end of this cover there is a little slot/depression where the cover meets the side frame, put a fine screwdriver blade or similar point in the depression and GENTLY work it under the cover, it will rise at the right end. Then GENTLY work the cover upwards, this will release it from the catch at the left end. Remove the cover and locate the the connector of the wires leading from the keyboard to the chassis. Disconnect the plastic plug from the socket and then you can pop the keyboard out for cleaning.

When the keyboard and the bed underneath it is clean and dry, drop the keyboard back into place and make sure it is properly seated, reconnect the wires, and put the top cover back, first making sure that the left end fits well, then GENTLY press the rest into place, making sure that the tab at the right end clicks into place and the cover is flat and tight like before.

Take your time, and don't use any force.

Good Luck,

Bryan

miozio

May 23, 2009
I spilled so much of Presidente on my laptop kb, and it seems to like it. Anything with bubbles wouldn't hurt unless you keep pouring for a minute or so.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
The best would be to remove the keyboard and place it in a ultrasonic cleaner. Even circuit board can be cleaned with this method. Most US repair shop has one or can refer to one, however I have not seen an ultrasonic cleaner here, but it doesn't mean there is non.
Juanita: where are you? If in Santiago, I know a good tech who might be able to help you.

The Hun

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Thanks Bryanell! My keyboard is now working even better than before!..Smooth as a bum!

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Juanita
Make sure the laptop is OFF and disconnect the mains supply. A the top of the keyboard there is a flat plastic cover where the on/off button etc., is. At the right end of this cover there is a little slot/depression where the cover meets the side frame, put a fine screwdriver blade or similar point in the depression and GENTLY work it under the cover, it will rise at the right end. Then GENTLY work the cover upwards, this will release it from the catch at the left end. Remove the cover and locate the the connector of the wires leading from the keyboard to the chassis. Disconnect the plastic plug from the socket and then you can pop the keyboard out for cleaning.

When the keyboard and the bed underneath it is clean and dry, drop the keyboard back into place and make sure it is properly seated, reconnect the wires, and put the top cover back, first making sure that the left end fits well, then GENTLY press the rest into place, making sure that the tab at the right end clicks into place and the cover is flat and tight like before.

Take your time, and don't use any force.

Good Luck,

Bryan

Would this work the same way for a little Asus Notebook?
it powers up fine, Windows comes up fine, but the keys don't work.
I seem to have a problem with a spash of wine.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Would this work the same way for a little Asus Notebook?
it powers up fine, Windows comes up fine, but the keys don't work.
I seem to have a problem with a splash of wine.

Sorry, Snowbie,
My experience is limited to a series of Dells and one or two Fujitsu-Siemenses. Fried a couple and also battered a couple of keyboards to bits and had to change them, so that's how I know.
I do have donkey's years of experience of wines (but only the red kind, is there any other?) but absolutely none with Asus. Basically, underneath the top cover they're all the same, but you'd have to figger out how to take the top cover off first.
If the keys don't work at all, any of them, it seems that the problem might be just a little more than gunge, something may have shorted out. That will need a reliable professional seeing to.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Bummer! I had hopes of being able to revive the keyboard after reading this thread.
lesson learned: absolutely no wine near a laptop!!!!:ermm:

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
Buy a lenovo T61 (or w/e the new model is now) they have two little holes on the bottom of the laptop which drain any liquid that was spilled on the keyboard. I mean, come one, how neat is that.

I still haven't tried mine out and am not to anxious either! But I have had plenty of close calls. Makes sense to get a sturdy laptop in a country where laptops are worth their weight in plutonium and parts take ages to ship.