crime rate

dilligafny

Jan 31, 2010
We hear that the crime rate in DR is going through the roof and there are alot of stories running around.Can anyone say if the average person,not the barrio dweller,but a middle class person really feels any changes,in fear or the ability to walk the streets without being robbed or approached?

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Dear me what a worry! Here in LT we have no worries, never even suspected that we were being approached nor threatened. Mind you we never flash money about in the street. Money is always in a wallet in a pocket with a button or in a bum bag (fanny pack in US).

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Dear me what a worry! Here in LT we have no worries, never even suspected that we were being approached nor threatened. Mind you we never flash money about in the street. Money is always in a wallet in a pocket with a button or in a bum bag (fanny pack in US).

Never felt unsafe in LT, but a French expat told me there were a lot of house break-ins....

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I think I'm changing from 'fanny pack' to 'bum bag'--great expression:laugh:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
anyone from santiago want to chime in?Hillybilly?how is my favorite city faring?
Any place in the DR, just play it cool, it doesn't matter if they are right or wrong,
........ Dominicans don't accept being challenged about what they say or do.

To prove my point, watch this thread and see how many rebuttals there are to the above statement!

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

cibaenopuro

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 27, 2010
the dr has an okay crime rate for a latin american country but it isnt the safest either

i personally don't feel like i'm ever in danger though

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the dr has an okay crime rate for a latin american country but it isnt the safest either

i personally don't feel like i'm ever in danger though

i see it the same way.
specially when looking on the mayor cities or specially on the capital city, like all around the globe it depends which part of the city you visit and at what time. in my own homecountry i would not walk at night the wrong quarters/streets alone and many not even in company, while other parts are perfectly save.
i personally never felt unsave on the Isle.
Mike

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Crime Happens Everywhere...

The DR has a violent death rate of about 24 per 100,000 inhabitants. This is relatively high in the Caribbean sub region (average there 18.1) and puts the country high on an international list (15th rank).

Government statistics in less democratic countries usually underreport for political reasons.
The Dominican statistics have not been updated since last August.
..:: Procuradur?a General de la Rep?blica Dominicana ::.. Estad?sticas

donP

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
No, it is not crimy nor dangerous here in Sosua at all.

Until one is raped or robbered or killed he/she normally feels very safe, playful and relaxed. Having alot of Caribbean fun.

I love this country. Especially Pedroclissante.

First crime place to the island in all Caribbean : http://www.dominicancentral.com/newsarticle/2375__fugitives_evading_justice/

Influx of hard core violent criminal increases - where do they all go?

http://www.dominicancentral.com/newsarticle/another_143_dominican_prisoners_repatriated_from_us/

No, it is not crimy here.
It is 100% safe and sexy.

Last edited:

swooperman

Oct 10, 2007
Be more afraid of the police than the criminals. If you are involved in a car accident where there is a lot of damage or physical injury. They will put you in jail for up to 48 hours. This happens even if you are obviously not at fault. Example; a drunk guy falls out of a tree 5 feet in front of your car. after all they have to investigate. And oh ya . . . maybe you will pay them if they let you go. The police are corrupt, under paid, and under educated . . . accept maybe for the higher ranks. They have a good revenue stream.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not feel particularily unsafe in DR. but then, i take precautions: i have iron bars and good locks in all the doors; i have a dog size of a tank; i do not hang out in barrios; i do not walk outside at night (close to the house only and then with my personal tank rottweiler). i wear jewelery on occasions, no diamonds but just nice quality gold and i am not afraid someone will snatch it off my neck/finger. but then i get around in cars so the bling is not that visible.
it is not any worse or better than ony other place i have lived in when it comes to personal security. house security is another story - back in europe bars in windows of private houses are rarity almost never seen. in DR - this is a norm.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I do not feel unsafe, but I am always weary of my surroundings. I do not wear jewellery or any kind of a purse. Keys, money and phone in my pockets.
I have learned this the hard way.
Now I don't have a problem walking home by myself on the main street in Cabarete late at night occasionally. I am female. I do not get bothered and there are lots of security guards along the way.
Just don't make yourself a target! What do you expect when you are drunk out of your mind and two chicas offer to take you home? You get robbed!
I don't know if the crime rate is up. It is what it is and always has been.
You take precautions as much as you can and ....never get complacent, ever, and you will be fine.