Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Importer wanted for used refuribished computers

I'm looking for someone in the DR willing to jump through some hoops to import computers from the US. The FOB price would average about $175 but I don't know about shipping and import taxes. There is a local non-profit that gets computers from mostly college kids, checks them over and fixes them and then sells them to cover overhead. There are all kinds of computers and accessories they have for sale. I'm hoping they will get some laptops in to save on shipping costs.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    I'm looking for someone in the DR willing to jump through some hoops to import computers from the US. The FOB price would average about $175 but I don't know about shipping and import taxes. There is a local non-profit that gets computers from mostly college kids, checks them over and fixes them and then sells them to cover overhead. There are all kinds of computers and accessories they have for sale. I'm hoping they will get some laptops in to save on shipping costs.
    at the moment a local store here in jarabacoa ( ibelieve they have one in la vega as well) is selling refurbished computers, with a dell 15" regular screen (no lcd), for 4895 pesos...

if you want, I can give you their contact info... (but your price seems high)...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

If that's the price there, then there is no room for profit.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what you have on offer, those computers are pretty old (20 GB hard disk, 1024 mb internal memory, etc...)

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be a middle man handling the shipping and money up front. The storefront has maybe 40 computers at any time and they are different types. The cheapest ones were $100 and the most pricey were $200. I'll have to do some more footwork to see what kind of quality they have. I bet they have some external drives that could be interesting. Keyboards and CRT monitors are a dime a dozen.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I can pass the Email of a friend mine who is a computer technician in business for many years he may be interested in this but I won't be involve in any kind of responsibility between.

JJ

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I tested this same idea on a small scale a little over a year ago. I bought about 10 laptops in the US cheap to refurbish and re-sell. I had "connections" (even in customs) and could not get them here cheap enough to earn anything significant. I ended up shipping them to individuals to "hand carry" to the DR. Just didn't work out very good. I also had trouble with the "language barrier" installing an OS in Spanish. Ain't easy not to mention support.
    There is a place outside of Santiago (can't remember the name) that buys stuff from the US by the "container load" and his prices for new stuff could not be beat. Good business and support also. Good Luck!
    Respectfully,

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

botemon, could you tell us where outside Santiago, as I'm looking for a monitor and some other stuff...

Thanks

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Belgiank,
    Lets try this. It's the building in the center of the map just off of HWY 1 on the north side of Santiago. You can't miss it. You can zoom out to get your bearings.
    Google Maps
    Cheers