Finding furniture, North Coast

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
We're moving down in a couple of weeks. We are renting a home that is furnished but we'd like to start aquiring our own furniture again. Can I get some recommendations as to where to buy things on the north coast? Anywhere from wicker to high quality furniture is great as we have various rooms and outside sitting areas to furnish. Thanks in advance, Corey

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
My experience - anything of higher quality is better bought in Santiago. Prices in and around the north coast are a lot higher!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Hidalisa in POP do have some nice stuff, if a little pricey but reasonable quality. Distribudora Gonzales too. They've already been mentioned, but just to back it up.

If you're after rattan I can highly recommend Yvonne & Otto who run a mimbre & rattan furniture factory in Sosua on the main Cabarete - Sosua road opposite(ish) El Choco. It has a large rattan chair up on a pole at the entrance.

They can make anything you want. They have a very nice showroom or you can thumb through their various catalogues and choose something and personalise as you want. Or you can even go in with a magazine cutting or something you have printed off the internet and they will copy it perfectly. Their turnround is very quick, prices very reasonable and very pleasant to deal with. They are a German couple but speak perfect English.

For cheaper Dominican style furniture I can recommend a store in Gasper Hernandez. I don't recall the name, but it is probably the only three storey store in GH. Prices are more on par with Santiago, which is less than most of North Coast.

Buster1

Mar 25, 2009
mimbre is great dealt with yvonne and bought some great wicker last year from her

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
We think the best place for furniture is the international design center - 3 octagonal buildings on the right just outside of Sosua on the way to Cabarete.

It is American furniture and expensive but top quality.

baby bori

May 18, 2010
approximately what would a good juego de sala en caoba cost??? should I be able to get some of good middle class quality in the 50,000-75,000 pesos range????

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
N ot even close. Maybe for a piece of furniture...change that to dollars and you are in the ball park..

HB