Claro Mobile (Laptop) Internet

zoey_kat

Feb 2, 2007
Hi All,

I've checked out the Claro website and the monthly fee for their mobile internet card seems to be reasonable. What I do not see is the length of contract which is required and how much the device itself costs.

Does anyone know how long a contract term must be agreed to and what the device costs?

Also wondering how well it works on the North Coast.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
the contract is for 18 months, and if you take the unlimited package (which is 10 GB) the device is for free...

don't know about the north-coast but in jarabacoa it is worthless... and unreliable..

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
We live on the north coast near "historic" La Isabella. I would say there are about 4 others within two miles of us that use Claro. For us is has worked great for the last two years. We live far from the cell tower (fringe) and I installed an outside antenna, amplifier and repeater that works for internet and phone. I know a couple folks who have this in Luperon. Something is different there. I think it is a 2G network and not 3G. I am not sure but it works, just slower sometimes.
Where on the north coast?
Oh yea....18 month contract.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I got one without contract but i purchased the modem. It cost me about 4000 pesos. I have 3GB unlimited plan and I am paying 2040 every month. Initially it is very fast but off late it is very slow.

zoey_kat

Feb 2, 2007
Thanks for all the info. We are near Gasper Hernandez and trying to find a good option for internet. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I use VIVA but dont know the coverage out there. I've had almost no issues with it. Cost is 1800 per month - 1 year contract and equipment was free.

Feb 7, 2007
DMV, what speeds do you get with VIVA? Do you get slow times? I tried VIVA Interjet about 2 years ago and it was working so-so only in SD, other places it was piece of ****.

Reactions: MikeFisher

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hey Rubio,
a neighbur of mine has the viva stick, prepaid, no contract, 1800 per month, he purchased it in POP where he lived by that time, worked good for him there, here in Cabeza de Toro it works good at home but not everywhere on the beach enough signal.
i have myself the Claro 3G unlimited, 2.040 per month, 18 months contract like usual with Claro, equipment is free with contract, works very well for me since mid december 2009, during typical peak cellular use times speeds is slower but still acceptable, most of the time it is quick and reliable.
signal/coverage til now everywhere down here or over in bavaro, worked fine during the last week over in Cap Cana, also on Macao Beach, even up in Bayaguana.
cheers
Mike

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
DMV, what speeds do you get with VIVA? Do you get slow times? I tried VIVA Interjet about 2 years ago and it was working so-so only in SD, other places it was piece of ****.

speed is 2.4 and I have yet to have a slow time!!!! It is very good and the office of Viva is very responsive. I am moving my cell phones from claro to Viva as well. I am fed up with Claro lack of service.