Free calls to DR? check this out

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Apparently you can only use to make calls from the US. Anyone know about something like this that would work from Canada?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Apparently you can only use to make calls from the US. Anyone know about something like this that would work from Canada?

my friend this is voip based, you can use this program to call even from Zimbabwe to DR.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
OK so it says once you sign up and confirm e-mail you can start making calls right away...has anyone made a call yet?

Jan 9, 2004
Thanks for keeping the board informed...

about the ever changing telecommunications landscape.

The only problem with this and the multitude of other services offered so far is a) sound quality and connections are usually marginal; b) that they all are free only to landlines (read carefully the paragraph in the lower right hand corner concerning free).

One of these days there will truly be a breakthrough. Of course a company needs to make a profit to stay in business.....but given the technological advances of the last ten years...you would think that the cost to call to cell phones in the DR would have dropped precipitously by now. I guess that is why Carlos Slim is the richest man in the world (for the moment).

One of these days it will happen...and I know AZB, you will be the first guy with the good news.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
Cellphone calling everywhere where CPP system is implemented (calling party pays) is expensive ... in Europe the interconnect rates are more expensive than even the DR! I think the best system is in the USA, where the called party pays for receiving the call. With unlimited plans starting at 50 bucks per month, that's a no-brainer.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
my friend this is voip based, you can use this program to call even from Zimbabwe to DR.
I guess I wasd confused because when i visited the website it said make free calls from the US to DR. thanks.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Cellphone calling everywhere where CPP system is implemented (calling party pays) is expensive ... in Europe the interconnect rates are more expensive than even the DR! I think the best system is in the USA, where the called party pays for receiving the call. With unlimited plans starting at 50 bucks per month, that's a no-brainer.

calling from the dr to belgium by cell is around 10 rds per minute, calling from a landline in belgium to a cell in the dr is around 100 rds per minute... and calling with a belgian cellphone to belgium from the dr... you do not want to know...:ermm:

Feb 7, 2007
For calling from most of the cell phone companies in Europe to the DR, it is very expensive, usually DR is in the 5th or 6th tier, among the most expensive countries to call in the world.

It has nothing to do with call cost, it has to do with pricing and demand.

If callcentric can terminate calls to the DR landline at 3 US cents per minute (and Vonage unlimited) and to cellphones at 9 US cents a minute and still make money, the reason of high end-user-rates from Europe to the DR is not call cost, but inelasticity of demand for calling that destination. Because of that, cellphone carriers in Europe ask themselves a simple question... why bother with lower prices, then?

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
rubio
you Can get unlimited cell service for $40 taxes included with some of them global text included. one of the companies uses verizon phones, another just starded uses t-mobile phones. I went to the local store to ask the guy if the t-mobile phone needed to be unlocked it said nop. both prepaid.
rubio are you in Higuey by the way?