What is a Johnnie Que QUE.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006

yes but johnny cake turns into, yaniqueque in the DR.

jb65p2.jpg

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
its like fried bread with sugar on it. They deep fry the bread and put sugar on it. Not bad had it a few years ago but definately not a healthy food.
I haven't seen one with sugar, but it's possible.

The ones I've had are like big, round fried Chinese wontons...crisp unleavened fried pastry...

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I haven't seen one with sugar, but it's possible.

The ones I've had are like big, round fried Chinese wontons...crisp unleavened fried pastry...

Normally called elephant ear at fairs in the US, but there covered with Cinnamon and sugar, here just the fried dough. Never seen one with sugar here.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Normally called elephant ear at fairs in the US, but there covered with Cinnamon and sugar, here just the fried dough. Never seen one with sugar here.

nope elephant ears is a different thing....
I think johnny cakes not supposed to be sweet, originally.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Not elephant ears. Here those are called palmeras...the pastry shop in Plaza Jacaranda on the autopista make excellent ones...

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
yes but johnny cake turns into, yaniqueque in the DR.

jb65p2.jpg

Yes, yaniqueque is our version of johnny cake. This fried flat bread was brought to the DR by our English-speaking immigrants, los "cocolos." (I don't like the term "cocolos".) Since they came to work in the sugar cane plantations, yaniqueque was known primarily in the eastern part of the island -around San Pedro de Macor?s. The texture of a yaniqueque varies depending on how the dough is stretched. Those sold in the streets are usually overstretched and crispy, which some people call hojuelas. They can be sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon just like churros.

These immigrants brought another type of yaniqueque which is baked. My mother used to make it all the time when we lived in Ingenio Angelina. Its the same dough, but since it does not have a strong leavening agent like yeast, (it has baking powder) the resulting loaf of bread is very compact and sometimes hard. A piece of that bread for breakfast with a cup of caf? con leche kept you full the entire morning.

Norma

Reactions: DRob