Agua Pure Clay Water Filter

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There was some discussion a while ago about water purification. Some mentioned a clay water filter. I know of one made by local folks with a factory in Moca...and now Haiti. The Agua Pure Filter.

We bought one at Expo Jarabacoa, and I thought I'd give a tour of it. The price was RD$900 at the fair. I think they retail for RD$1000.

It comes like this-bucket, lid and a box with the clay filter:
AP1.jpg

View of the filter:
AP3.jpg

There are written instructions on the bucket:
AP4.jpg

Their info, if you're interested:
AP2.jpg

There are instructions that you need to wash it with a soft brush and clean/purified water, inside and out, then the filter goes in the bucket:
AP5.jpg

All you do is then is add water. It takes several hours or so for the filter to start working, and the longer it works the faster it filters water. Then it produces 2l per hour. That is a good rate for potable water.

I made a mistake initially by not using the proper brush to clean the new filter. Actually, I did a bad job with a rag. The water came out tasting and smelling like clay. So I did what I should have done the first time and used a soft brush. Voila! The water tasted and smelled excellent, NO smell or taste of any kind. My bad. Shoulda read the instructions. Idiot!

The instructions say to routinely clean the inside with a brush and good, clean water to get rid of the gunk it filters. I can see that.

All-in-all, an excellent product, one that should be used in every household that doesn't have potable water and can't afford bottled for human consumption. This would make a most excellent gift for poor folks who could use good, clean filtered water. Or for anyone who wants to have good water and an economical price...

I am CB, and I endorse this product!:cheeky:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Not that I doubt

Yup.

That easy.

But How long have you been using it? If less than a week or 2 I will wait for further posts, about the outcome. If you know what I mean. If at the end of 2 weeks of use, and your still able to get a 100 yards from the house. I might be interested.,

May 29, 2006
They are suppose to last at least a year under regular use. They use silver in the clay which kills bacteria and viruses. It's devices like this and LifeStraw that can save millions of lives a year.

My main concern is that any kid could break the clay filter by acccident and at $30 each, it would be a big expense for a rural family to replace.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
BioSand filter.

taken from the link below.

"The groundwork for the project was laid at a chance meeting in 2002, when
a Canadian doctor showed a bio-sand filter to Bob Hildreth, then president
of the Rotary Club of Puerto Plata Isabel de Torres, Puerto Plata, Dominican
Republic, and past club president James Bodenner and his wife, Susan, both of
the Rotary Club of Rockford, Michigan, USA."

Bio-SandFilter

Jim and Susan Bodenner stayed with us this last February to attend a Rotary conference in POP. They had about 1,000 bio-sand filters scheduled to delivery in the D.R. but with the help of the U.S. Navy, they were shipped to Haiti to help with earthquake relief.

Bob Hildreth still lives in POP.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/po...y-marks-World-Water-Day-in-Dominican-Republic

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
They are suppose to last at least a year under regular use. They use silver in the clay which kills bacteria and viruses. It's devices like this and LifeStraw that can save millions of lives a year.

My main concern is that any kid could break the clay filter by acccident and at $30 each, it would be a big expense for a rural family to replace.
These have been around for several years now with great success. The life is supposed to be 5+years with proper maintenance.

Could they break? About as easily as a kid who breaks it. Just put in a safe area and don't let young 'uns mess with it.

We will use it for water for the dogs.

But I have to say: the smell and taste of the filtered water is just like water from a bottle. We put tap water from the cistern in it.

skippys

Jan 17, 2003
clay filter question

I also have been using this filter for about two months - BUT being a skeptical Americana - am filtering my tap water, not river or rain ..... but I sure would like to know of availability of small test kit to periodically check the water produced... any SDQ locations for such a purchase??? please

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I also have been using this filter for about two months - BUT being a skeptical Americana - am filtering my tap water, not river or rain ..... but I sure would like to know of availability of small test kit to periodically check the water produced... any SDQ locations for such a purchase??? please
Any bottled water plant can have the water tested.

I know folks in the campo who use this filter with river, well and runoff water with no problems at all. Sure beats using fuel to boil water as they've had to in the past.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Point of clarification. I actually meant how do you know when it stops cleaning the impurities from the water including disease causing micro organisms?
As was pointed out that takes periodic lab testing.

If this works as it seems to, it is a great thing for those with no other way to get potable water. I would not install my own reverse osmosis or UV purifying system because by the time the water tests bad you have already ingested some. For those that are unable to purchase purified water I do see how it is much better than nothing.
It's a mechanical filter, micropore, like water going through soil and rock to the aquafer. There is some silver in it that reacts with bacteria. Remember, a lot of water is filtered with just charcoal.

Clean water in about the single most important component for life and health. This filter is no substitute for bottled or other potable water-the First World is lucky in that good water comes from the faucet-but for many prro people who cannot afford bottled water this kind of filter is a godsend. Think barrio. Think campo. Think Haiti.

We'll use it for the dog's and cat's water. No need to spend RD$35 a bottle for their water when this will do just fine...

RD$1000 for virtually unlimited filtered water for several years? Seems like a bargain...

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I looked into water testing and couldnt find a cheap way to test for all the nasties...I would be interested to hear of any testing methods

May 29, 2006
I bet for the cost of getting it tested twice, you could prob get another unit.

Is there any reason why there aren't more wells other than cost? Our well in the US has been working for more than 50 years with no bacteria issues at all and it tastes much better than city water, which is clorinated.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there are hundreds of wells- but the water isnt drinkable from them- in fact theres one at the bottom of my garden ,but we cant use it due to the high mineral content of the water which breaks the pumps and corrodes the taps

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I looked into water testing and couldnt find a cheap way to test for all the nasties...I would be interested to hear of any testing methods
I had water tested at the local RO plant for RD$150...

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Well

I bet for the cost of getting it tested twice, you could prob get another unit.

Is there any reason why there aren't more wells other than cost? Our well in the US has been working for more than 50 years with no bacteria issues at all and it tastes much better than city water, which is clorinated.

Another reason is that in most of the barrios, and pueblos the houses are so crowded together, and with the type of septic systems used here. the well would have to be a safe distance from contamination. almost an impossibility and keep it in the pueblo. And yes cost would be a significant factor

In your case how deep is the well and how far from contaminates.

Then if you have a high mineral content then you would have the cost and maintance of a system to remove the minerals.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
We've had our Agua Pura filter for 2 years plus. It's still working great! No problems, great taste, it is also better than the bottle "botellon" water because the filter keeps the good minerals and such that bottled water doesn't have, unless you buy mineral water. The clay filter would be really hard for a kid to break, unless you have the filter out of the bucket and they kick it... hard. It's sturdy. We put tap water into it, but rain or river water. The cost of the regular model of the Agua Pura filter is 2000 pesos. (Maybe a little more now since I bought mine for about that 2+ years ago.)

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Wow, looks like the price came done. I was quoted 2500 RD.

The thing to watch for on these is if a the clay filter develops a hairline crack. If so, it's probably mostly useless. It may filter some, but not all bacteria.