Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Agua Pure Clay Water Filter

There was some discussion a while ago about water purification. Some mentioned a clay water filter. I know of one made by local folks with a factory in Moca...and now Haiti. The Agua Pure Filter.

We bought one at Expo Jarabacoa, and I thought I'd give a tour of it. The price was RD$900 at the fair. I think they retail for RD$1000.

It comes like this-bucket, lid and a box with the clay filter:

View of the filter:

There are written instructions on the bucket:

Their info, if you're interested:

There are instructions that you need to wash it with a soft brush and clean/purified water, inside and out, then the filter goes in the bucket:

All you do is then is add water. It takes several hours or so for the filter to start working, and the longer it works the faster it filters water. Then it produces 2l per hour. That is a good rate for potable water.

I made a mistake initially by not using the proper brush to clean the new filter. Actually, I did a bad job with a rag. The water came out tasting and smelling like clay. So I did what I should have done the first time and used a soft brush. Voila! The water tasted and smelled excellent, NO smell or taste of any kind. My bad. Shoulda read the instructions. Idiot!

The instructions say to routinely clean the inside with a brush and good, clean water to get rid of the gunk it filters. I can see that.

All-in-all, an excellent product, one that should be used in every household that doesn't have potable water and can't afford bottled for human consumption. This would make a most excellent gift for poor folks who could use good, clean filtered water. Or for anyone who wants to have good water and an economical price...

I am CB, and I endorse this product!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

im doubtful about this product- it cant be that easy, can it ?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrhartley View Post
    im doubtful about this product- it cant be that easy, can it ?
    Yup.

That easy.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not that I doubt

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Yup.

That easy.
    But How long have you been using it? If less than a week or 2 I will wait for further posts, about the outcome. If you know what I mean. If at the end of 2 weeks of use, and your still able to get a 100 yards from the house. I might be interested.,

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

They are suppose to last at least a year under regular use. They use silver in the clay which kills bacteria and viruses. It's devices like this and LifeStraw that can save millions of lives a year.

My main concern is that any kid could break the clay filter by acccident and at $30 each, it would be a big expense for a rural family to replace.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The link(in Spanish only) has a lab study where the filtered some river water which tested positive for coliform bacteria and other bugs before the filter and clean afterwards.

AguaPure Filtros o Filtros Agua Pure proveen agua a los ms necesitados.Organizacin sin fines de lucro.

And they say it lasts five years. All the better.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default BioSand filter.

taken from the link below.

"The groundwork for the project was laid at a chance meeting in 2002, when
    a Canadian doctor showed a bio-sand filter to Bob Hildreth, then president
    of the Rotary Club of Puerto Plata Isabel de Torres, Puerto Plata, Dominican
    Republic, and past club president James Bodenner and his wife, Susan, both of
    the Rotary Club of Rockford, Michigan, USA."

Bio-SandFilter

Jim and Susan Bodenner stayed with us this last February to attend a Rotary conference in POP. They had about 1,000 bio-sand filters scheduled to delivery in the D.R. but with the help of the U.S. Navy, they were shipped to Haiti to help with earthquake relief.

Bob Hildreth still lives in POP.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/pov...nican-Republic

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    They are suppose to last at least a year under regular use. They use silver in the clay which kills bacteria and viruses. It's devices like this and LifeStraw that can save millions of lives a year.

My main concern is that any kid could break the clay filter by acccident and at $30 each, it would be a big expense for a rural family to replace.
    These have been around for several years now with great success. The life is supposed to be 5+years with proper maintenance.

Could they break? About as easily as a kid who breaks it. Just put in a safe area and don't let young 'uns mess with it.

We will use it for water for the dogs.

But I have to say: the smell and taste of the filtered water is just like water from a bottle. We put tap water from the cistern in it.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question clay filter question

I also have been using this filter for about two months - BUT being a skeptical Americana - am filtering my tap water, not river or rain ..... but I sure would like to know of availability of small test kit to periodically check the water produced... any SDQ locations for such a purchase??? please

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skippys View Post
    I also have been using this filter for about two months - BUT being a skeptical Americana - am filtering my tap water, not river or rain ..... but I sure would like to know of availability of small test kit to periodically check the water produced... any SDQ locations for such a purchase??? please
    Any bottled water plant can have the water tested.

I know folks in the campo who use this filter with river, well and runoff water with no problems at all. Sure beats using fuel to boil water as they've had to in the past.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast