Armour thyroid emergency

lbs720

Jul 2, 2009
My daughter, who has no thyroid gland, was followed home from the airport and ambushed at her house in Santo Domingo last night. (The men attacked her husband and even tried to shoot her friend, but missed.) Her entire supply of thryoid medicine was in her purse that was stolen (put there to be safe from possible lost luggage!) It is impossible to get Armour thyroid in the D.R., and she can only go a couple of days without it. It could easily be a month before we can get a new prescription (IF we can) and have a Canadian pharmacy send it to her. Does anyone in the D.R. have any Armour thyroid that they can spare? We will gladly buy any amount you could spare and then replace it for you when her new supply arrives. She can be reached by sending me a PM . Her name is Katania and her husband's name is Manny. Thank you very much.

(If worse comes to worse, I realize she can get Synthroid down there. She does not do well on that, though.)

Last edited by a moderator:
E

engineerfg

Just another suggestion - can she buy it in Miami? It's only 2 hours away and there are 4 flights a day.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I sure as hell would NOT post a phone number on a public forum!

lbs720

Jul 2, 2009
armour

No, Armour thyroid is not available in the United States right now. She bought a year's supply through Canada.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Forwarding to SD

Many a DR1 member (incl. me) has an account with a forwarding company in Miami.
We receive parcels within a week (more or less) after their arrival at the Miami address.
I do not know whether it is an option to have the meds sent to SD via MIA, but you could use my account if nobody in SD comes forward.

donP

lbs720

Jul 2, 2009
armour

Thank you all very much for your kind offers. My son-in-law has a PO box in Miami that we can use. It just takes time for the Canadian pharmacy to fill the prescription and send it. I really appreciate all of your help.

E

engineerfg

Guys please be careful sending prescription medicine through the mail / fedex across the US border. I've had issues sending my grandma meds from Canada in the past.

Furthermore - if you're going to fedex them to miami, may as well just fedex them to Santo Domingo. I've received fedex and UPS documents from Canada down here no problems.

E

engineerfg

Not sure where you are in Canada, but London Drugs and Shoppers Drug mart, if they have her in their 'healthwatch' and equivilent system, she herself can call in or skype in and designate someone to pick up the meds.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Lots of people traveling here from Canada.

Maybe someone reading this thread can help and mule some down.

Failing that, have it sent via FedEx. A copy of the prescription normally needs accompany the shipment. and should be no more than 3 months supply.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I am flying to Puerto Plata on the 24th from Toronto...

If you had it prescribed here through a doctor you should try calling the doctor and explain what happened and see if they can fax a new prescription to your pharmacy (I've had this done before). If it's in the Toronto area I don't mind picking it up if you don't mind coming to Puerto Plata to pick it up.

E

engineerfg

My daughter, who has no thyroid gland, was followed home from the airport and ambushed at her house in Santo Domingo last night. (The men attacked her husband and even tried to shoot her friend, but missed.) Her entire supply of thryoid medicine was in her purse that was stolen (put there to be safe from possible lost luggage!) It is impossible to get Armour thyroid in the D.R., and she can only go a couple of days without it. It could easily be a month before we can get a new prescription (IF we can) and have a Canadian pharmacy send it to her. Does anyone in the D.R. have any Armour thyroid that they can spare? We will gladly buy any amount you could spare and then replace it for you when her new supply arrives. She can be reached by sending me a PM . Her name is Katania and her husband's name is Manny. Thank you very much.

(If worse comes to worse, I realize she can get Synthroid down there. She does not do well on that, though.)

I know this is probably not the best time to ask this question, but for the benefit of the rest of us who fly in and out of SDQ a lot, can you elaborate what actually transpired at the airport? How did this incident occur?

Do they know they were followed? Did they drive themselves? or did someone pick them up? Or was it a local driver from the airport? Was it the driver that held them up? etc.

Any info you can provide to help others avoid a similar situation would be greatly appreciated.

lbs720

Jul 2, 2009
airport

My son-in-law picked them (my daughter, her friend, and her friend's young son) at the airport around 11:00 last night, then brought them home to east Santo Domingo. He got out of the car, opened up the gate, and drove in. They all got out, but before he could close the gate again, the robbers rushed in. One started grabbing my daughter's purse, another went for her friend's purse, and the other was fighting with my daughter's husband. When my daughter realized finally what was going on (she didn't understand their Spanish,) she started screaming and they shot at her friend and ran.

If my daughter has calmed down enough to talk about it later, I will see if I can get any details about how they figured they had been followed and what, if anything, they could have done differently. (It does make me a little scared about coming in on a late flight.) I will post again when I learn more details.

jcockerill

Jun 10, 2010
Canadian Pharmacy Willing to Help

I am a pharmacist at Universal Drugstore in Canada. If you are able to fax us a prescription we would be able to Fedex ERFA Thyroid to your daughter right away. Hopefully the package would get through no problem. Let me know if you would like us to help. You can contact me through the info at universaldrugstore dot com email address. My name is Jeremy.

lbs720

Jul 2, 2009
Update on being followed from airport--important!

Well, when my daughter and son-in-law went to file the police report, the police told them that their robbery was not random. They said there are teams of people working with one or more insiders at SDQ that pick people to follow home and rob. They said that the insider picks people arriving from the States or Canada that seem likely to have money on them and then calls their buddies outside and identifies them. These then follow their car home and rob them when they get out.

My son-in-law is Dominican and streetwise, and he said he did not notice being followed. There was no one on the street when he got out and opened the gate, so they had to have parked on a side street and then run over. The only thing differently they could have done would have been to have sped home from the airport and taken lots of side streets, or have a group of guys outside waiting for them. Other than that, all a person can do is be prepared to be robbed and don't have anything in their purse or wallet that they don't want stolen.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Actually, they may not have been followed at all. If anyone else in the neighborhood knew your daughter was flying in, they may have been watching the house, awaiting the right moment to strike.

This happened many years ago to my mother-in-law, who was always picked up at SDQ by family and brought to the old neighborhood in SD first before going to wherever she would be staying. When she was coming to the DR for a visit, much of neighborhood on her family's street knew it beforehand (the families on that street have known each other for generations). It only takes one well-meaning friend or neighbor mentioning the visit within earshot of a tiguere. There's only so many flights per day to SDQ from each US or Canadian location, and some of the local tigueres know the schedules. Two tigueres from the neighborhood on a motorcycle were watching from a nearby alley, when my suegra got out of the car, then sped by and snatched her purse, with lots of money and her passport inside.

As a result of all the trouble that caused, none of the visits to SD by family members from the States are mentioned ahead of time anymore, and my suegra never carries valuables in a purse when she travels.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I am a pharmacist at Universal Drugstore in Canada. If you are able to fax us a prescription we would be able to Fedex ERFA Thyroid to your daughter right away. Hopefully the package would get through no problem. Let me know if you would like us to help. You can contact me through the info at universaldrugstore dot com email address. My name is Jeremy.

Excellent! You gotta love DR1 :)