Residency question for the DR

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
I want to apply for Residency in the Dominican Republic, currently living in the states.. The Consulate in New York has been absolutely useless assistance wise. They talk like I can only apply for a visa if I am already in the Dominican Republic. The Embassy website encourages people to apply prior to arrival yet the Consulate acts like I can not. Also there is a requirement for Certificate from the Depart of Migration and copy of last Tourist Card. How do I obtain that from the States? Anyone gone through this process?

johnnj2000

Mar 27, 2004
actually I am interested also , I was at the Dominican embassy also , pretty useless also . I had been to the dominican consulate on the malicoln to see about what I need for residency but they would not even let me upstairs because I had shorts on . so far I recieved the paper which is in spanish telling the requirements , one is for a clean bill of health , if you go to a dominican doctor , hes gonna charge you good , but if you go to your doctor here , your gonna have to bring it to the dominican consulate in new york and they charge 100.00 to endorse it which is required . also any other requirements youll have to have endorsed by them for 100.00. letter of good conduct , etc etc. I have heard some horror stories about getting lawyers there , they expect you to pay up front or part of and takes some time before you get it , 1000.00 , . Im thinking you need to be able to spend the time to be able to get it , and need to accomadate them to get it done. anyone eles help would be greatly appreciated . I want to do it myself , there should be no reason why you cant do it yourself , other then the old everybodys in on it when it comes to the non locals .

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
I am confused how you would get a copy of your last tourist card. Usually you are given the card on the airplane or you buy it before immigration (depending on the airline) and they take it from you after you pass through immigration before you leave the airport. Not sure when or where you would be making this supposed copy of it!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.......Anyone gone through this process?

I have gone thru the process just like many others on this board. You must come to the DR to file your application and take the medical exam. There is a ton of information posted in past threads. I suggest doing a search for the previously posted information and come back if you need any specific details.

I will say the very first step is to contact a reputable DR lawyer, you are going to need one.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Residency

This is taken directly from the Dominican Republic US Embassy wedsite:

Residence Visa

The residence visa is the first step to obtain the residence card in the Dominican Republic. This visa can be obtained in approximately three months. The Ministry of Foreign Relations recommends that the process begin prior to the person arriving in the DR, although it can also be carried out once the person is in the country. In order to apply for a residence visa you must submit the following documents:
Letter of application signed by the applicant or legal representative and addressed to the Consul or, in case the person is already in the DR, the Minister of Foreign Relations

The letter of request can be issued by an individual or a company .
If the application is filled out by an individual it should contain: individual's name, nationality, place of residence, and the activity to which the applicant is or will be dedicated in the country.
If the application is filled out by a company, in addition to the data on the applicant, the request should be made on company stationary, and signed by the highest ranking officer of the company, indicating the position the applicant will hold.
Indication of the ties to the country, that can be any of the following:
1- Dominican nationality by origin.
2- Marriage to a Dominican.
3- Work contract, legalized by the Ministry of Labor.
4- Proof of economic solvency (investors, retirees).

Form 509-Ref, duly completed and signed by the applicant, to be submitted with the other documents to the Consulate or Ministry of Foreign Relations if the person is already in the Dominican Republic.

Certificate of Good Conduct issued in the jurisdiction of origin. If the beneficiary has been more than three months in the Dominican Republic, it needs to be issued by the competent local judicial authority.

Medical Health Certificate. Issued in the jurisdiction of origin. If the applicant has been living more than three months in the Dominican Republic, a recent medical certificate should be presented, legalized by the Ministry of Public Health (SESPAS).
Three front view 2"x2" photographs.
Birth Certificate.
Certificate of the Department of Migration with proof of the last entry of the person to the country and copy of the Tourist Card.
Two photocopies of the applicant's complete passport.
Observations:

All documents received from abroad need to be legalized by the Dominican consulate in the corresponding jurisdiction.

All documents need to be presented in original and four copies with the exception of the passport.
The passport needs to be valid for a minimum of three months after having been deposited for the visa.
If the application includes the spouse, a marriage certificate should be included.
Minors are exempt from the Good Conduct Certificate requirement

Clearly since they encourage you to apply through the consulate you do not have to be in the Dominican Republic to begin the process.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
residency

Yes I live in the United States. Anyone done the application through a Consulate in the US?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
This is taken directly from the Dominican Republic US Embassy wedsite:

Residence Visa

The residence visa is the first step to obtain the residence card in the Dominican Republic. This visa can be obtained in approximately three months. The Ministry of Foreign Relations recommends that the process begin prior to the person arriving in the DR, although it can also be carried out once the person is in the country. In order to apply for a residence visa you must submit the following documents:
Letter of application signed by the applicant or legal representative and addressed to the Consul or, in case the person is already in the DR, the Minister of Foreign Relations

The letter of request can be issued by an individual or a company .
If the application is filled out by an individual it should contain: individual's name, nationality, place of residence, and the activity to which the applicant is or will be dedicated in the country.
If the application is filled out by a company, in addition to the data on the applicant, the request should be made on company stationary, and signed by the highest ranking officer of the company, indicating the position the applicant will hold.
Indication of the ties to the country, that can be any of the following:
1- Dominican nationality by origin.
2- Marriage to a Dominican.
3- Work contract, legalized by the Ministry of Labor.
4- Proof of economic solvency (investors, retirees).

Form 509-Ref, duly completed and signed by the applicant, to be submitted with the other documents to the Consulate or Ministry of Foreign Relations if the person is already in the Dominican Republic.

Certificate of Good Conduct issued in the jurisdiction of origin. If the beneficiary has been more than three months in the Dominican Republic, it needs to be issued by the competent local judicial authority.

Medical Health Certificate. Issued in the jurisdiction of origin. If the applicant has been living more than three months in the Dominican Republic, a recent medical certificate should be presented, legalized by the Ministry of Public Health (SESPAS).
Three front view 2"x2" photographs.
Birth Certificate.
Certificate of the Department of Migration with proof of the last entry of the person to the country and copy of the Tourist Card.
Two photocopies of the applicant's complete passport.
Observations:

All documents received from abroad need to be legalized by the Dominican consulate in the corresponding jurisdiction.

All documents need to be presented in original and four copies with the exception of the passport.
The passport needs to be valid for a minimum of three months after having been deposited for the visa.
If the application includes the spouse, a marriage certificate should be included.
Minors are exempt from the Good Conduct Certificate requirement

Clearly since they encourage you to apply through the consulate you do not have to be in the Dominican Republic to begin the process.

OH NO!! Could it possibly be that there is indeed misinformation on the English translation of the DR Embassy webpage?

I am going through this process.... have been for the last year... as the law was just changed last March...

Please do not even bother to start this abroad...

Just come here like the rest of us

and overstay your tourist visa for a couple of years

unless you are going to go into business

then get the GOOD attorney...,

pay the full fare

and get it done right....

You need an APOSTILLED copy of your birth certificate now

You need the medical DONE here
\
You need a good conduct from the US but my attorney is still working on WHERE from? and now, that also must be APOSTILLED

(google it... I had to pay about $300 bucks to get it ... and Still do not know what it is.. just some more pieces of paper, more stamps~~~~ more work for lawyers!!!)

all that said. stilll..... they do make it pretty easy

and i really do want them to do better criminal record checks on us foreigners.. I think that there are lots of us here who are pretty unsavory (sometimes the Dominicans are so nice that I think even I, with my NYC temper, should perhaps be asked to take some sort of remedial course in mannars to be allowed to stay!)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Yes I live in the United States. Anyone done the application through a Consulate in the US?

If you are American with a USA passport you are making things difficult for yourself. You don't need a Visa to enter the DR. You contact a DR lawyer and he will tell you what documents you need to bring from the USA. When you come to the DR to take your physical you pay for a tourist card (temporary visa) and less than 5 minutes they take it from you.

You give your lawyer the required documents. He schedules a medical exam. You take the medical exam. Now you can go back to the states and wait about 6 months to get your temporary cedula and residence card.

Don't trust me, do your self a favor and get a DR lawyer.

Visitors who do not obtain a Dominican visa prior to entry must purchase a tourist card upon arrival to enter the country. Tourist cards cost ten U.S. dollars, which must be paid in U.S. currency. Tourist cards may be purchased at the Dominican Embassy in Washington or Dominican Consulates prior to arrival, as well as at Dominican airports at the time of entry. Tourist cards normally permit a legal stay of up to 60 days. Visitors who would like to extend their time in the Dominican Republic should visit the Migration Department in Santo Domingo and request an extension. Failure to request an extension will subject the visitor to a surcharge at the airport upon departure.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Apostille

OH NO!! Could it possibly be that there is indeed misinformation on the English translation of the DR Embassy webpage?

I am going through this process.... have been for the last year... as the law was just changed last March...

Please do not even bother to start this abroad...

Just come here like the rest of us

and overstay your tourist visa for a couple of years

unless you are going to go into business

then get the GOOD attorney...,

pay the full fare

and get it done right....

You need an APOSTILLED copy of your birth certificate now

You need the medical DONE here
\
You need a good conduct from the US but my attorney is still working on WHERE from? and now, that also must be APOSTILLED

(google it... I had to pay about $300 bucks to get it ... and Still do not know what it is.. just some more pieces of paper, more stamps~~~~ more work for lawyers!!!)

all that said. stilll..... they do make it pretty easy

and i really do want them to do better criminal record checks on us foreigners.. I think that there are lots of us here who are pretty unsavory (sometimes the Dominicans are so nice that I think even I, with my NYC temper, should perhaps be asked to take some sort of remedial course in mannars to be allowed to stay!)

I have an Apostille for my birth certificate, it cost me US$13.00. I know what it is and I know you got ripped off at $300 bucks. That is why I prefer not to pay a lawyer twenty times the amount for doing things. It is a racket I hope to avoid, if possible.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.........I have heard some horror stories about getting lawyers there , they expect you to pay up front or part of and takes some time before you get it , 1000.00 , ...........

Every so often this topic comes up on DR1. Each time all types of mis-information gets posted. If you don't want to drive yourself insane the simpliest thing to do is hire a reputable DR lawyer. I used the Guzman law firm (drlawyer.com) and many others on this site have used them with great success.

I don't know the current fee but it would probably be a little over $1,000. You pay a portion up front and the remainder when your documents have been approved. The Guzman firm will tell you everything you need to do. You don't need to waste a minute searching the internet and confusing yourself.

As you metioned hearing horror stories, I have heard them too. In just about all the cases they were from people trying to do it their way or dealing with a flim flam lawyer.

This is my experience:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/87120-residencia-cedula-guzman-way.html

To the best of my knowledge the only thing I think has changed since I applied is you now need a police report from your home country.

Reactions: MikeFisher

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I have an Apostille for my birth certificate, it cost me US$13.00. I know what it is and I know you got ripped off at $300 bucks. That is why I prefer not to pay a lawyer twenty times the amount for doing things. It is a racket I hope to avoid, if possible.

You are going to be sorry...............;)

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
I have talked to three different people that have used reputable lawyers in the DR for this process and they all said they paid about $2000. Hell MountainAnnie just said she paid her lawyer $300 for one document. Doesn't sound like a total cost of $1000 dollars. If you don't mind mountainannie how much has it cost you so far, assuming you are not done. Over staying tourist card is not an option. I need to be in the country legally for car insurance and other things to be completely legal in case of problem.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
You are going to be sorry...............;)

Hopefully not. But back to the issue at hand. Does anyone have any actual experience applying for Residency through the Dominican Consulate in the USA?

If you do not there really is no point in responding as that is the only information I am interested in. Thank you.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I have talked to three different people that have used reputable lawyers in the DR for this process and they all said they paid about $2000. Hell MountainAnnie just said she paid her lawyer $300 for one document. Doesn't sound like a total cost of $1000 dollars. If you don't mind mountainannie how much has it cost you so far, assuming you are not done. Over staying tourist card is not an option. I need to be in the country legally for car insurance and other things to be completely legal in case of problem.

Well they paid tooooooooo much.

I gave you excellent advice about sending Guzman an email. They will give you a price and requirements. Can it get any easier. You can search DR1 from the first day it went online and see how many negative posts there are about the Guzman law firm.

Good Luck, I can see my help is not needed here. I bet I have my permanent residence card before you get your documents together to submit doing it yourself. Hahahahaha

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Well they paid tooooooooo much.

I gave you excellent advice about sending Guzman an email. They will give you a price and requirements. Can it get any easier. You can search DR1 from the first day it went online and see how many negative posts there are about the Guzman law firm.

Good Luck, I can see my help is not needed here. I bet I have my permanent residence card before you get your documents together to submit doing it yourself. Hahahahaha

Are you a child?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Well you were right on with the apostilled birth certificate... perhaps you did not get it from New York where it requires someone to go through three or four different steps.. I did not pay the DR lawyer for that but an agency in the US.

I am not finished the process as we are now still checking on the good conduct letter.. which changed in the new law revision... since I have been here for five years, the old law said that I would get it from here,. the new law says it must be from there.. but WHERE exactly there is not clear..... so we are checking.

You seem intent on doing it your way.... so I am not sure what the question is?

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Apostille

Well you were right on with the apostilled birth certificate... perhaps you did not get it from New York where it requires someone to go through three or four different steps.. I did not pay the DR lawyer for that but an agency in the US.

I am not finished the process as we are now still checking on the good conduct letter.. which changed in the new law revision... since I have been here for five years, the old law said that I would get it from here,. the new law says it must be from there.. but WHERE exactly there is not clear..... so we are checking.

You seem intent on doing it your way.... so I am not sure what the question is?

I got the Apostille for my birth certificate in New York state, just like you did, except I paid $13 dollars not $300. The fee for the actual Apostille for the NY Department of State is $10. The other step was at the county level, cost $3. My question is simple as stated in earlier post:

Has anyone applied for residency through a Consulate in the US prior to arrival in the DR?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Has anyone applied for residency through a Consulate in the US prior to arrival in the DR?

I will be interested to see if you get a response in the affirmative to this. Just about everyone I know, me included, applied for residency after moving here, not in advance. Of course Consular offices abroad want to rake in the funds for this 'service' but in any case it couldn't be completed until you are actually here.

I need to be in the country legally for car insurance and other things to be completely legal in case of problem.

I understand your wish to do everything by the book. You can get car insurance without a cedula, so you would be driving legally (provided your tourist visa is still current); it's just that car insurers would be unlikely to pay out unless you had a Dominican driving licence (although there was someone who posted that they pushed this with their insurers and got paid). And of course you can't get a Dominican driving licence without a cedula which you obtain at the same time as going for residency, so there is a certain circularity of catch 22 here.

The wish to do everything legally is admirable. However it needs to be tempered with the knowledge that the DR is a country with moving goalposts (I'll use this analogy because US are playing UK today ;) ). Even if you think you have everything sewn up 'by the book' there will always be something or more likely someone, who deems otherwise. To actually live here, you need to be good at tolerating a certain level of uncertainty. Otherwise, it's probably better to seek a country which has less wiggle room in the application of its laws or procedures.

You would smile if you saw the number of people who moved here wanting to do it 'exactly right' and, over time, have become almost casual about matters like this because they have learned to tolerate uncertainty.