Warning about being followed from SDQ and robbed

lbs720

Jul 2, 2009
For those that didn't see this in the Armour thyroid thread, the police told my daughter and son-in-law that there are teams working at SDQ with an insider there that are following people home from the airport and then robbing them when they get out. Other than speeding home and taking side streets to lose any would-be followers, or having your own armed gang waiting outside for you at home, there doesn't seem to be a lot a person can do to protect themselves other than just not having anything in their purse or wallet that they want stolen. The police said these guys are after cash and then dump the purse and the rest of its contents.

Reactions: mike l

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
For those that didn't see this in the Armour thyroid thread, the police told my daughter and son-in-law that there are teams working at SDQ with an insider there that are following people home from the airport and then robbing them when they get out. Other than speeding home and taking side streets to lose any would-be followers, or having your own armed gang waiting outside for you at home, there doesn't seem to be a lot a person can do to protect themselves other than just not having anything in their purse or wallet that they want stolen. The police said these guys are after cash and then dump the purse and the rest of its contents.

Sorry to hear about the robbery :(

Many foreigners live in apartment buildings in Sant Domingo that are usually gated or have security guards, so I don't see this being a huge problem.

Reactions: mike l

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Seems like a lot of work and planning for a purse, and the airport is a long way from SD, not to mention the traffic. It's amazing bad guys were able to keep up without being noticed.

Did you take a taxi or your own private car?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
does the airport have surveilance cameras - they could check to see who was following you out of the airport

oops forget that comment - I just realised where I am

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
does the airport have surveilance cameras - they could check to see who was following you out of the airport

oops forget that comment - I just realised where I am

That is correct, no matter we live here, it should be possible.

miozio

May 23, 2009
The police say those things just to scare you, they want to kinda guard you for some tips. They are good at it, it happened to us too once, with the police i mean! Your scary story seems to be unreal, do you know a person who was robbed like that? The real robbers wouldn't do it the way described, its laughable!! :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This is not a new phenomenon, in fact I remember a similar thread about cars following those picking up passengers. I also remember reading about a gang who was doing this out of SDQ. If I remember correctly, they stopped one car on the road to rob them, they didn't even wait for them to get home, so it may not matter what kind of security is at a residence.

The possibility of someone in the neighborhood being involved isn't out of the question either. My in-laws never tell anyone when we are coming - another problem Dominicans have is their houses being robbed when it's known that family has come from the US. They know suitcases full of gifts and purses full of cash are there.

When we fly into SDQ two or three of my husband's brothers come out to get us in two vehicles. Some of the larger luggage goes into the back of a pickup truck, and one of the guys actually rides in the back with the luggage. The other car rides close behind it. It's not unheard of for luggage to be stolen at traffic lights [so they tell me]. They are very, very aware of everything around us.

Thankfully, we've never experienced anything like the unfortunate incident the OP related. Since her son-in-law is Dominican he is likely more aware of the dangers than foreigners would be - if it can happen to him it can happen to anyone. Thank God no one was seriously hurt, there could have been an awful ending to the story.

AE

miozio

May 23, 2009
Thank God no one was seriously hurt, there could have been an awful ending to the story.
AE
What are you all talking about? Anything happened to the OP? Am i missing anything? I thought the police told them to be careful, thats all!!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
The OP

I don't see where the OP says anything about anyone getting robbed, just that
the police told the daughter and husband about it happening.
Las Americas Hwy. has always been dicey. And cameras watching to see who follows whom? Now how would that work again? There are recent stories of tigres putting things in the road to get people to stop and then rob them on that highway. Agree with Cobra, would be a lot of effort for some unknown booty.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I remember the thread you referred to, Alter Ego, because I believe you also posted on that how careful your family is after arriving. I have also read a number of accounts in national papers - it seems to surge at Christmas time with returning Dominicans bringing cash and presents for family. So I have no trouble whatsoever believing the OP's unfortunate events.

Nor does the US State Dept. From the website: 'There are continuing reports of thefts that target Americans as they leave the airport in a taxi that lacks air-conditioning. The driver rolls down the windows and when the taxi stops at a traffic light, a motorcyclist reaches in and steals a purse or anything they can grab. Travelers are advised to utilize the taxi service authorized by the airport if they have made no arrangements before arrival. Even when using such an authorized taxi service, Americans should always be aware of the potential for a criminal to stalk travelers leaving the airport parking area.'

Dominican Republic Country Specific Information - Crime

Miozio, read the other thread. The OP's family WAS robbed.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
The possibility of someone in the neighborhood being involved isn't out of the question either. My in-laws never tell anyone when we are coming - another problem Dominicans have is their houses being robbed when it's known that family has come from the US. They know suitcases full of gifts and purses full of cash are there.

I made a similar point in the other thread, that it may in fact be someone from the neighborhood that knew she was coming in that day and was watching the house.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/863681-post17.html

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
A lot of effort for picking up "something" potentially new, even cash?
Homes are being broken in, often only to find an old TV or boombox.
Thieves run away with small safes with... documents (they often can't even READ and throw away-even if they were bearer bonds).
Steeling heavy manhole covers (cast iron) for scrap metal... would also seem not very profitable, given the value of scrap iron. Still a popular practice around here, it would seem.

Airports around the world have seen the trailing scam going on. Remember MIA 20 years ago with it's ghetto-rental car return lots?? Some tourists got killed!

• It's simple, you got people who take rental cars and DON'T know the area or even the whole country.
  • Even local folks occasionally picking up visitors at remote airports, again, NOT knowing the area. (Eg: locals from Santiago picking guests up at SDQ).
  • DomYols arriving with bags and bags packed full with goodies, new ones, with warranty and all tags... much better than that ol' TV from the break ins!
  • And the always supposedly "rich" Gringos...
All easy and potentially "rewarding" targets, to those who don't know better.

1. If you go pick somebody up at an airport, go early and get to know the area. If you feel you have a "tail", you should be able to go around a block and see if the "tail" keeps on sticking to you without getting lost or into a bad area you don't belong to. You should have located places you could "lead" a potential tail to on you way in and OUT... like driving them right to the next Police station.
  2. Keep your distance from vehicles in front of you. Don't get INTO tight clusters of vehicles, they are ideal breeding grounds for accidents anyways and may prove a trap.
  3. You will NOT be waved down... even if a "friendly" helper points at your tires or seems to otherwise indicate that something's wrong with your vehicle.
  4. Obviously, you can't offer help to anyone (that's the toughest one for "us" whom have been taught to help).
  5. DON'T drive at night... especially outside of YOUR area.
  6. If you are road blocked... well, I know what I WILL do. I have taken that decision long ago. That's why I keep my distance from vehicles ahead... I want to be able to pick up speed and energy... but that's just my ideology, NOT a recommendation.

... J-D.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
  • Obviously, you can't offer help to anyone (that's the toughest one for "us" whom have been taught to help).

... J-D.
JD, this reminds me of an incident on the road to Jarabacoa last year.

It was very dark and about half way to Jarabacoa, we were the only vehicle around, and we drove past a human body laying on the pavement on the side of the road, spread out as if it had been in an accident. I noticed it was a young male, probably 17-20 or so. There was no blood. There was dense growth right off the road.

I thought it very odd. We didn't stop. We know some police officers so we called one on duty. They sent out someone to look who got there within minutes.

Guess what? No body.

I suspect this was a trap. It was tough NOT stopping, but my spider senses went off...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
  1. If you go pick somebody up at an airport, go early and get to know the area. If you feel you have a "tail", you should be able to go around a block and see if the "tail" keeps on sticking to you without getting lost or into a bad area you don't belong to. You should have located places you could "lead" a potential tail to on you way in and OUT... like driving them right to the next Police station.
  2. Keep your distance from vehicles in front of you. Don't get INTO tight clusters of vehicles, they are ideal breeding grounds for accidents anyways and may prove a trap.
  3. You will NOT be waved down... even if a "friendly" helper points at your tires or seems to otherwise indicate that something's wrong with your vehicle.
  4. Obviously, you can't offer help to anyone (that's the toughest one for "us" whom have been taught to help).
  5. DON'T drive at night... especially outside of YOUR area.
  6. If you are road blocked... well, I know what I WILL do. I have taken that decision long ago. That's why I keep my distance from vehicles ahead... I want to be able to pick up speed and energy... but that's just my ideology, NOT a recommendation.
]

Excellent suggestions JD, and I especially agree with the last one. I never get close enough to the car in front of me so that I can't get out from behind them. Especially at lights or stop signs. There was a problem in Atlantic City on the side streets about 15 years ago - you'd be stopped for a light and someone would use a brick to smash your window and rob you of your wallet/purse/jewelry, and you were trapped between two cars so you couldn't escape even if you saw them coming. Ever since then I leave plenty of space in front of my car. I'd be right behind you smashing my way out of trouble.

AE

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Excellent suggestions JD, and I especially agree with the last one. I never get close enough to the car in front of me so that I can't get out from behind them. Especially at lights or stop signs. There was a problem in Atlantic City on the side streets about 15 years ago - you'd be stopped for a light and someone would use a brick to smash your window and rob you of your wallet/purse/jewelry, and you were trapped between two cars so you couldn't escape even if you saw them coming. Ever since then I leave plenty of space in front of my car. I'd be right behind you smashing my way out of trouble.

AE

That eventually turned out to be the official recommendation in the "hot" MIA days. Especially at red lights. It's a good discipline anyways... for the case you'd get hit from behind.

... J-D.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A Dominican friend of mine picked up his cousin ( a medic ) at SDQ for the drive back to the north coast.

At the end of the autopista they turned towards Nagua..... same thing, man lying on the road after a moto -auto accident--- except this time was different, the man's leg was several feet away from the body. Lots of blood.

People were waving cars down for help.

The medic wanted to stop and use his skills to save the man... "Its my job"

The Dominican said "No way" and kept driving..... stopping would bring more trouble, in his opinion.

I don't know who is right or wrong here.... but its a sad state of affairs when true tragedy is left unheeded.

WW

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
A Dominican friend of mine picked up his cousin ( a medic ) at SDQ for the drive back to the north coast.

At the end of the autopista they turned towards Nagua..... same thing, man lying on the road after a moto -auto accident--- except this time was different, the man's leg was several feet away from the body. Lots of blood.

People were waving cars down for help.

The medic wanted to stop and use his skills to save the man... "Its my job"

The Dominican said "No way" and kept driving..... stopping would bring more trouble, in his opinion.

I don't know who is right or wrong here.... but its a sad state of affairs when true tragedy is left unheeded.

WW
I'd have stopped for a severed leg and blood. There was no evidence of injury in my case. If I had to do it over again, I'd not stop.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'd have stopped for a severed leg and blood. There was no evidence of injury in my case. If I had to do it over again, I'd not stop.

All my Dominican friends say "NEVER STOP".. for anything.

I am always conflicted about this but usually feel that I can be easily tricked, so I keep moving.

A moral dilemma.....

WW

lbs720

Jul 2, 2009

I didn't get on the web until just now, but to respond to Miozio's question about whether my daughter was coming home from SDQ in a car or taxi, she was in a car. Her Dominican husband came to pick her and her friend and young son up.

Also, as to it being a lot of work just for a purse. The police told my daughter and son-in-law that some people have had thousands stolen from them this way. (The robbers know that some people, usually Dominicans, come back from the States or Canada with a lot of cash. Both my daughter and her friend look like they are Dominicanas.) Anyway, everyone is recovering now, we have arranged for new meds, and my daughter got a good reminder to never carry anything more with her than she can bear to lose. It definitely could have been worse--it could have been a real bullet they were shot at with rather than a blank.

Beth

Last edited: