Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Warning about being followed from SDQ and robbed

For those that didn't see this in the Armour thyroid thread, the police told my daughter and son-in-law that there are teams working at SDQ with an insider there that are following people home from the airport and then robbing them when they get out. Other than speeding home and taking side streets to lose any would-be followers, or having your own armed gang waiting outside for you at home, there doesn't seem to be a lot a person can do to protect themselves other than just not having anything in their purse or wallet that they want stolen. The police said these guys are after cash and then dump the purse and the rest of its contents.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lbs720 View Post
    For those that didn't see this in the Armour thyroid thread, the police told my daughter and son-in-law that there are teams working at SDQ with an insider there that are following people home from the airport and then robbing them when they get out. Other than speeding home and taking side streets to lose any would-be followers, or having your own armed gang waiting outside for you at home, there doesn't seem to be a lot a person can do to protect themselves other than just not having anything in their purse or wallet that they want stolen. The police said these guys are after cash and then dump the purse and the rest of its contents.
    Sorry to hear about the robbery

Many foreigners live in apartment buildings in Sant Domingo that are usually gated or have security guards, so I don't see this being a huge problem.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems like a lot of work and planning for a purse, and the airport is a long way from SD, not to mention the traffic. It's amazing bad guys were able to keep up without being noticed.

Did you take a taxi or your own private car?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

does the airport have surveilance cameras - they could check to see who was following you out of the airport

oops forget that comment - I just realised where I am

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrhartley View Post
    does the airport have surveilance cameras - they could check to see who was following you out of the airport

oops forget that comment - I just realised where I am
    That is correct, no matter we live here, it should be possible.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The police say those things just to scare you, they want to kinda guard you for some tips. They are good at it, it happened to us too once, with the police i mean! Your scary story seems to be unreal, do you know a person who was robbed like that? The real robbers wouldn't do it the way described, its laughable!!

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

This is not a new phenomenon, in fact I remember a similar thread about cars following those picking up passengers. I also remember reading about a gang who was doing this out of SDQ. If I remember correctly, they stopped one car on the road to rob them, they didn't even wait for them to get home, so it may not matter what kind of security is at a residence.

The possibility of someone in the neighborhood being involved isn't out of the question either. My in-laws never tell anyone when we are coming - another problem Dominicans have is their houses being robbed when it's known that family has come from the US. They know suitcases full of gifts and purses full of cash are there.

When we fly into SDQ two or three of my husband's brothers come out to get us in two vehicles. Some of the larger luggage goes into the back of a pickup truck, and one of the guys actually rides in the back with the luggage. The other car rides close behind it. It's not unheard of for luggage to be stolen at traffic lights [so they tell me]. They are very, very aware of everything around us.

Thankfully, we've never experienced anything like the unfortunate incident the OP related. Since her son-in-law is Dominican he is likely more aware of the dangers than foreigners would be - if it can happen to him it can happen to anyone. Thank God no one was seriously hurt, there could have been an awful ending to the story.

AE

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Thank God no one was seriously hurt, there could have been an awful ending to the story.
    AE
    What are you all talking about? Anything happened to the OP? Am i missing anything? I thought the police told them to be careful, thats all!!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The OP

I don't see where the OP says anything about anyone getting robbed, just that
    the police told the daughter and husband about it happening.
    Las Americas Hwy. has always been dicey. And cameras watching to see who follows whom? Now how would that work again? There are recent stories of tigres putting things in the road to get people to stop and then rob them on that highway. Agree with Cobra, would be a lot of effort for some unknown booty.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

For those that didn't see this in the Armour thyroid thread,
    it was a follow on thread - she got medical supplies stolen that were in her purse

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast