Car rental punta cana

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
FYI - Incredible as it seems -- it has been a year since I posted last thread about attempting to rent a car in Punta Cana. Worse and worse it seems to be. Yesterday as I attempted to reserve a car I found out first through Continental Airlines that "no car available" and then searched and found out no cars seemingly available around. Until I found Dollar Rent a car - they told us we could rent but would have to go to Veron to pick it up. Outrageous? Yes it is! Everyone lauding the busy busy busiest airport in Caribbean - Punta Cana With No Car Rental Agency?. Those in power that be in punta cana (and we all know who these crooks are) have somehow decided that car rentals should Not easily available in the airport - and then to be told that when one arrives - somehow make your way to Veron to pick up car? We will, of course call today the Dollar people in Veron and ask hopefully that someone will deliver car to airport. Dominicanos you better start getting it right! Otherwise it will all disappear via "word of mouth".

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
i would be leary of dollar. we rented from them online about 5-6 years ago at punta cana. after waiting at the airport for around an hour we finally believed the taxi drivers and other rental car guys who were telling us that dollar doesn't even have a store in punta cana anymore. we ended up using budget and were very happy. good luck, ben

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i know from clients and friends that budget and avis deliver the probooked cars right to the airport to their clients.
the PC airport would not have the space available to rent the needed parking space to several car rental companies, that's why they bring the cars to the customers but have them otherwise parked at their place like in Veron and also in Bavaro, just a few minutes transfer from the airport to their place, where's the prob on such?
Mike

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Actually - FINALLY am renting from National. Yes - the last few years cars have been brought from either Veron or Bavaro - the problem being that it is incredibly inconvenient upon arriving to have to track theses guys down. this year (as I have mentioned) was first told that no cars (anywhere presumably) were available except at that Dollar place and they told us they would not bring car to airport - we needed to pick up a "few minutes" away in Veron. Well - of course I know that Veron or Bavaro is not a few minutes away. Anyhow after returning to the airline online - we did book National (who have told us they will be opening at airport). And it is unusual and ridiculous for an airport to Not have any car rentals on site. So with PC airport getting larger and larger - QUE RIDCULOSO!!!! iThe more I think about it - I believe that maybe car rentals and taxis have made a deal!

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Actually - FINALLY am renting from National. Yes - the last few years cars have been brought from either Veron or Bavaro - the problem being that it is incredibly inconvenient upon arriving to have to track theses guys down. this year (as I have mentioned) was first told that no cars (anywhere presumably) were available except at that Dollar place and they told us they would not bring car to airport - we needed to pick up a "few minutes" away in Veron. Well - of course I know that Veron or Bavaro is not a few minutes away. Anyhow after returning to the airline online - we did book National (who have told us they will be opening at airport). And it is unusual and ridiculous for an airport to Not have any car rentals on site. So with PC airport getting larger and larger - QUE RIDCULOSO!!!! iThe more I think about it - I believe that maybe car rentals and taxis have made a deal!

that's crap,
the opposite is the case.
the larger the airport gets the more they need their available space for their own airport facilities and amenities, no space left for large rental car parking spaces, the parking space there is without the rental car companies very restricted, often overfilled.
the rental ca business should be managed like usual at so many Intl airports around the globe, the rent a car agencies should provide a free shuttle at the airport which brings the rent a car customers to their parking site/office in the near Veron, a 5-6 minutes shuttle ride.
for my rental cars in Miami/Fl, always a free shuttle brought me to the parking site of the rental company, and it been always a quiet much longer shuttle ride than from PC airport to Veron, the same for my numerous rentals in los Angeles.
exception:
countless rentals at the Airport in Jackson Hole/WY, here they always delivered my rented car right to the airport, my btw fav airport til today, no shuttle needed, but much less passengers passing through there than at te big Internationals of course.
free shuttle service to the rental offices would be the way to go IMO.
cheers
Mike

davethebodyguard

Sep 3, 2009
again. I rent from alamo and they will come get me anywhere to pick up the car and drop me off wherever i want to be when I drop it off. Doin it again on july 1st. Mike I am looking you up this time as my lady is working the first and second and does not know i am coming.
Dve

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
I disagree Mike. First - Veron never never never 5-6 minute shuttle ride, second - Punta Cana should have car rentals on site, I believe. I have traveled all over and have not had same experience as you where no airport has rentals on site. I believe all airports I have been in have rental agencies on site. Who wants to get into shuttle after many hours of flying to pick up car? Seems Dr just does not know how to plan an airport - oh sorry - should talk to the Ranieris. Sorry Mike - but it seems the tourists coming to Punta Cana ...........no need to drive anywhere - the only sorry excuse punta cana can come up with.

chibani

Oct 29, 2007
There is no car rental in punta cana for the good reason that nearly nobody would like to hire a car there. Apart from the dominican residing abroad, 99,99% of the travellers come to RD with packages all included. Even not so, it is considered dangerous to drive in the contry for several reasons:
- no rescue service
- frequent dangerous driving
- driving license without adequate training or just drive without license or insurance
- bribes requested from police
- in case of accident, even minor, direct to prison

The travellers knowing well enough the country to decide to hire a car anyhow know were to find them.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Update

Happy to report as I am here in DR. Punta Cana Airport now has car rental agency stands right inside. Not only that - airport has been renovated and looks great. 2 cambio stands, a restaurant and as just mentioned the car agencies are here!!!

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
great, thats new.
I saw the cambio stands for the first time when I came back from a month in Europpe end May, the car rentals not been there by the time.
but it still doesnt change the good reasons of some mentioned above why maybe better not rental, lol.
welcome to the Isle
have Fun
Mike