Average price for Rural/Farm Land

blastdiaz

Aug 15, 2005
Hi all,

I am looking for an idea for the "average" price of farm land in central Dominican Republic. I've had various comments from different people between $6k and $10k pesos/tarea.

I know specific prices will require specific locations, I can only get as specific as say Monte Plata Province.

thanks in advance.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Our last purchase was for about 70 tareas of farmland in San Jose de Ocoa [up the mountain] and we paid $10,000/US

No buildings on the property, and we need to dig our own well [which is hopefully being done as I type], but the most amazing views known to man.....

AE

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Our last purchase was for about 70 tareas of farmland in San Jose de Ocoa [up the mountain] and we paid $10,000/US

No buildings on the property, and we need to dig our own well [which is hopefully being done as I type], but the most amazing views known to man.....

AE

WELL....... I'm digging one too as we type

How much a foot for your digging? Mine is 500 pesos a foot. OUCH!!

WW

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
WELL....... I'm digging one too as we type

How much a foot for your digging? Mine is 500 pesos a foot. OUCH!!

WW

Not sure - my husband's brother arranged it, one of those deals that locals make. They're digging 3 wells - one for us, and one for each of my brothers-in-law [both very near us]. It's two brothers involved, one does the well digging and the other provides the pipes, it's a package of sorts. These will probably be very deep wells because we're up so high, the river & valley are way below us [directly below actually, I'm afraid to get too close to the edge of our land :paranoid:].

AE

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not sure - my husband's brother arranged it, one of those deals that locals make. They're digging 3 wells - one for us, and one for each of my brothers-in-law [both very near us]. It's two brothers involved, one does the well digging and the other provides the pipes, it's a package of sorts. These will probably be very deep wells because we're up so high, the river & valley are way below us [directly below actually, I'm afraid to get too close to the edge of our land :paranoid:].

AE

Yup, thats it.... they dig and then the PVC pipe sleeve goes down the well.

I am 300 above sea level and very close to the ocean.
Water seems to be around 200 feet down from there but it varies depending on the situation.
The water runs in the rock strata and can go up or down and sideways.... so Juan Guzman, the well digger tells me.
However, when I told him to try the well at the lowest point he had chosen, he refused and said that 25 yrs experirience told him to dig at the highest level.

Hmmmm, couldn't just be that it will be a deeper dig up there, huh?

Anyway, 200 feet later- we'll see
I think I just got "Dominicaned" again.... happens a few times a week

If the well is shallow enough (less than 150-175 feet) you can use a solar pump to avoid long electric wiring and the electric bill.

Your water , if its deep, should be drinkable.... " no contaminado".... that is good news.

WW

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
He probably used a "divining rod". They're infallable.

He certainly did use a divining rod.... just like VooDoo... it twitched all over the place.

My point was that he selected several sites on my hillside but insisted on drilling at the highest point, not the lowest -- thereby increasing the depth of the dig.

BTW, his first selection with the rod was the lower site....thats what got me thinking.
He said the whole hillside was full of water... so why not go for the lowest point?

That divining rod works... he used it at my neighbor's house.
The dig is guaranteed.... no water found, no charge.... so he has confidence in his witchcraft!! :))

WW

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Are there springs that come up in the mountains? These were common in North Carolitna and I know that they have them in Samana.

Maybe not a spring as you know it, but an underground river... a waterflow between the strata of rock or shale.
They drill down to access it. It doesn't bubble up by itself in every case.

WW

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
cheap land title registration

There are allot of cheap deals out there for buying land but the real challenge is making sure that the title is clear.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
i know of a place that is 6000 tareas for US$166.6, and if i heard right, has title and deslinda

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yup, thats it.... they dig and then the PVC pipe sleeve goes down the well.

I am 300 above sea level and very close to the ocean.
Water seems to be around 200 feet down from there but it varies depending on the situation.
The water runs in the rock strata and can go up or down and sideways.... so Juan Guzman, the well digger tells me.
However, when I told him to try the well at the lowest point he had chosen, he refused and said that 25 yrs experirience told him to dig at the highest level.

Hmmmm, couldn't just be that it will be a deeper dig up there, huh?

Anyway, 200 feet later- we'll see
I think I just got "Dominicaned" again.... happens a few times a week

If the well is shallow enough (less than 150-175 feet) you can use a solar pump to avoid long electric wiring and the electric bill.

Your water , if its deep, should be drinkable.... " no contaminado".... that is good news.

WW

The well in Ocoa is 300' deep, we're up very high. Hubby tells me it will require a powerful pump to get the water up. At our house in Playa Najayo our well is only 80' deep, cheaper to dig and cheaper pump.

How deep did you well end up being?

AE

May 29, 2006
He probably used a "divining rod". They're infallable.

Not infallible, but not voodoo either. I was taught how to do by an old timer when there was a water break we had to find. It was in a 1" plastic line six feet underground. We had an idea of about 50 ft where the line was. In ten minutes with two bent coat hanger wires he tells me where to start digging. I dig down 5 ft and start to hit water from the leak. He was off by about 3 ft. I would have never believed in it if I hadn't seen it myself.

Five years later, I had almost the exact same problem but it was over 300 ft of pipe where the leak could be. I couldn't find it for weeks and finally got up and went out with some sticks I made up. I found the leak where the pipe when under a low spot where it was naturally marshy and it was about 4 ft down. I have no idea how it works, but I've seen come through twice in a row.

From what I've read the guys who do it professionally are as accurate as the guys with the fancy gizmos..

I've got no idea how it works, but it does.

BTW if you are putting in buried pipe anywhere, lay a piece of wire along with it. Metal detectors are a lot easier to use.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
We used them too with some success last year.

Then my James Randy head started to talk to me.

If I were being a devil's advocate I would argue like this -
Within around 3 feet?
So if we say 3 feet and draw a circle round the spot that was divined, that gives us an area 6ft in diameter. If that is the accuracy that we are pleased with then at each end we need only divine within 3 feet of each end to be successful.
So we have 12 feet out of 50 feet that we can hit to be regarded as successful. This is a 3-1 shot - easily within the realms of coincidence.

But as I say, I have used it and will do so again.
It seems to work.
And after all they have not figured out how aspirin works - but nobody would argue that it does not....

May 29, 2006
We used them too with some success last year.

Then my James Randy head started to talk to me.

If I were being a devil's advocate I would argue like this -
Within around 3 feet?
So if we say 3 feet and draw a circle round the spot that was divined, that gives us an area 6ft in diameter. If that is the accuracy that we are pleased with then at each end we need only divine within 3 feet of each end to be successful.
So we have 12 feet out of 50 feet that we can hit to be regarded as successful. This is a 3-1 shot - easily within the realms of coincidence.

But as I say, I have used it and will do so again.
It seems to work.
And after all they have not figured out how aspirin works - but nobody would argue that it does not....

Yep. I'm a big Amazing Randy fan myself. Being within a couple feet is less impressive if you already know where the pipe is. This guy walked across the area, found where the pipe was, then turned right and walked some more until the sticks crossed again. So he got a false positive a few feet before he actually hit the spot. Believe me, I've had to dig up lines before and this was very impressive. I was even more surprized when I did it since I had very little experience and it was a much bigger area to figure out where the pipe and leak were. I don't buy using dowsing for finding gold or missing kids, but it makes sense that on a subconsious level, humans can detect water. Other animals can do it and the rods just amplify our detection of it. I hear there are dowsers that can do it without rods at all. I don't see it as psychic all, just something latent in our evolution.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
And just to go totally off topic....

Peter,

with this I agree - and much more impressive if the guy had to find the waterline first - before he then went on to find the leak - true enough.

There is some work that suggests that placing magnets along pipelines reduces the chaotic (unpredictable) turbulence which costs so much energy and money when it interrupts the laminar flow required for efficient piping of oil around the world. A physicist friend of mine said that there was no reason known to science that this should be. So I countered that perhaps science had missed a penetrating new principle?
Oil companies are economic entities and would not use money unless it was effective.
He is a broad minded guy so agreed it was a possibility - pretty impressive for one who was brought up in a reductionist scientific environment - good on him.

After all some pretty smart guys were wrong:

Albert Einstein said,"There is not the slightest indication that energy will ever be obtainable from the atom."

Lord Kelvin said,"I have not the smallest molecule of faith in aerial navigation."

And do not get me started on gyroscopes! That still has the mathematicians in a spin....;)

Back to the plot.............

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The well in Ocoa is 300' deep, we're up very high. Hubby tells me it will require a powerful pump to get the water up. At our house in Playa Najayo our well is only 80' deep, cheaper to dig and cheaper pump.

How deep did you well end up being?

AE

I don't know the depth yet. We had to leave but the neighbor is 175 feet and we were at 200 feet with the divining rod man saying we were very close.

I hope to know tomorrow

WW