Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How safe is the DR?

Just came across an interesting news item on Belgian news, about the Global Peace Index ...

According to this index the US is the 85th (out of 149) "un"safest country to live in, while the DR is only number 93... not much of a difference then???

I was sticking a medal to myself, as Belgium was number 17, (spit medal that was)... untill I delved a little deeper into how this index was formed and calculated...

Just a couple of ex. (as I do not want to spoil your fun, figuring out all the hilarious mistakes)...

- Trustworthyness and efficiency of the policeforces in the DR score almost the max...
    - it is as easy to get a gun in Belgium as it is in the DR (in Belgium I would not know how to get a gun (and I tried to protect my business), and given the money, I could get one here, yes... illegally, in about 30 minutes...
    - because of the involvement of UN-forces, Afghanistan is one of the safest countries on that point... heuhhh?????

Let us just say... my confidence in those kind of statistics took one more blow... and, to get a job in one of those UN-, Government-, Whatever Agencies apparently requires you to be a blithering idiot...

Anyhow... enjoy... and am looking forward to all "educational" and "intelligent" replies...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

This is very interesting. But i don't think those stats would matter for someone who is just researching about some country. Those people who wrote it obviously haven't been living in those countries.

For example Croatia is on 41st place which is probably very good but I think we deserved higher place cause of the NATO and the country is recruiting more and more policeman. We are country of great tourism and we welcome everyone. Even the Serbs who we have been in war with and everyone else can feel very safe here.

For example Bosnia & Herzegovina. Hmmm. I have lived there for 2 years. That country is very unsafe to visit. Few times I have been robbed there. It is a minor comparability with JAR (except of killing). 3 different types of people live there and they are all fighting each other (luckily just on words now) but they deserve even lover place then 60 place.

This is just my opinion and as i speak with some dominicans on forum or social networks they seem to be very happy there without much of crime.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i tell you what. statistically, when i walk my dog we have three legs each. this is what i think about those kind of surveys: they the be true but they make no sense...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Surprise! Your tax supported bureau-rats dream up crap to stamp as official, so that other tax supported bureau-rats can enact regulations on you.

They do it all from the attic where they live with their mothers. Rarely go to the office.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Statistics are one BIG lie made from many little truths.

How safe is the DR?
    I think it is VERY difficult to rate it in a COMPARATIVE manner. Different countries have different cultures and thus different issues and also attract a different crowd.
    What I think could be a better indicator, is CHANGE... the TENDENCY...
    Now, THAT is worrisome... but not just in the DR, so we're again comparing.

Also the prevalent types of crimes vary in each region.
    Only 20 years ago, in Europe or the US/Canada, if at an occasional "silent" heist, thieves would get away with a few millions worth of art or even bank money without hurting anybody... people almost applauded.
    Then 10 years ago, suddenly ponzi schemes started to pop up where 10's and even 100's of millions "disappeared"... NOW it's skyrocketed into the BILLIONS in the mater of a handful of years and people don't find it funny anymore as it has affected them every where.
    Meanwhile, in countries like this one, you still have machete and Test-rage crimes and a few politics-linked scams where public goods pass from xyz to zyx at for personal profit.

... J-D.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
    Benjamin Disraeli

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
    Benjamin Disraeli
    How safe living in DR (or most countries) may be is directly proportionate to how reckless you are.

If you're constantly in the church looking to do missionary work, you'll be very safe.

If you're constantly in the calle looking to do missionary style with some drug dealing tigre's novia, you may encounter less-than-reputable types.

Oddly enough, most people fall somewhere in between.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRob View Post
    How safe living in DR (or most countries) may be is directly proportionate to how reckless you are.

If you're constantly in the church looking to do missionary work, you'll be very safe.

If you're constantly in the calle looking to do missionary style with some drug dealing tigre's novia, you may encounter less-than-reputable types.

There are, of course, exceptions but I agree with what you say!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRob View Post

Generally speaking, I agree as well.
    Sometimes you can find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time, as with anywhere but becoming a victim of circumstance, I feel, is more common in the DR than in a lot of other countries.

Rio

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Otherwise perfectly safe

Quote Originally Posted by rio2003 View Post
    becoming a victim of circumstance, I feel, is more common in the DR than in a lot of other countries.
    The problem is the good weather, so children tend to play outside or on terraces here....
    Puerto Plata Digital

The latino habit of wearing bling bling is another reason for the high crime rate, provoking the poor ladrones....

donP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast