How safe is the DR?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Just came across an interesting news item on Belgian news, about the Global Peace Index ...

According to this index the US is the 85th (out of 149) "un"safest country to live in, while the DR is only number 93... not much of a difference then???

I was sticking a medal to myself, as Belgium was number 17, (spit medal that was)... untill I delved a little deeper into how this index was formed and calculated...

Just a couple of ex. (as I do not want to spoil your fun, figuring out all the hilarious mistakes)...

- Trustworthyness and efficiency of the policeforces in the DR score almost the max...
- it is as easy to get a gun in Belgium as it is in the DR (in Belgium I would not know how to get a gun (and I tried to protect my business), and given the money, I could get one here, yes... illegally, in about 30 minutes...
- because of the involvement of UN-forces, Afghanistan is one of the safest countries on that point... heuhhh?????

Let us just say... my confidence in those kind of statistics took one more blow... and, to get a job in one of those UN-, Government-, Whatever Agencies apparently requires you to be a blithering idiot...

Anyhow... enjoy... and am looking forward to all "educational" and "intelligent" replies... :bunny:

Alee

May 7, 2010
This is very interesting. But i don't think those stats would matter for someone who is just researching about some country. Those people who wrote it obviously haven't been living in those countries.

For example Croatia is on 41st place which is probably very good but I think we deserved higher place cause of the NATO and the country is recruiting more and more policeman. We are country of great tourism and we welcome everyone. Even the Serbs who we have been in war with and everyone else can feel very safe here.

For example Bosnia & Herzegovina. Hmmm. I have lived there for 2 years. That country is very unsafe to visit. Few times I have been robbed there. It is a minor comparability with JAR (except of killing). 3 different types of people live there and they are all fighting each other (luckily just on words now) but they deserve even lover place then 60 place.

This is just my opinion and as i speak with some dominicans on forum or social networks they seem to be very happy there without much of crime.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i tell you what. statistically, when i walk my dog we have three legs each. this is what i think about those kind of surveys: they the be true but they make no sense... :)

Reactions: Chirimoya

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Surprise! Your tax supported bureau-rats dream up crap to stamp as official, so that other tax supported bureau-rats can enact regulations on you.

They do it all from the attic where they live with their mothers. Rarely go to the office.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Statistics are one BIG lie made from many little truths. :D

How safe is the DR?
I think it is VERY difficult to rate it in a COMPARATIVE manner. Different countries have different cultures and thus different issues and also attract a different crowd.
What I think could be a better indicator, is CHANGE... the TENDENCY...
Now, THAT is worrisome... but not just in the DR, so we're again comparing.

Also the prevalent types of crimes vary in each region.
Only 20 years ago, in Europe or the US/Canada, if at an occasional "silent" heist, thieves would get away with a few millions worth of art or even bank money without hurting anybody... people almost applauded.
Then 10 years ago, suddenly ponzi schemes started to pop up where 10's and even 100's of millions "disappeared"... NOW it's skyrocketed into the BILLIONS in the mater of a handful of years and people don't find it funny anymore as it has affected them every where.
Meanwhile, in countries like this one, you still have machete and Test-rage crimes and a few politics-linked scams where public goods pass from xyz to zyx at for personal profit.

... J-D.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Benjamin Disraeli

How safe living in DR (or most countries) may be is directly proportionate to how reckless you are.

If you're constantly in the church looking to do missionary work, you'll be very safe.

If you're constantly in the calle looking to do missionary style with some drug dealing tigre's novia, you may encounter less-than-reputable types.

Oddly enough, most people fall somewhere in between.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
How safe living in DR (or most countries) may be is directly proportionate to how reckless you are.

If you're constantly in the church looking to do missionary work, you'll be very safe.

If you're constantly in the calle looking to do missionary style with some drug dealing tigre's novia, you may encounter less-than-reputable types.

There are, of course, exceptions but I agree with what you say!

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006

Generally speaking, I agree as well.
Sometimes you can find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time, as with anywhere but becoming a victim of circumstance, I feel, is more common in the DR than in a lot of other countries.

Rio

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Otherwise perfectly safe

becoming a victim of circumstance, I feel, is more common in the DR than in a lot of other countries.

The problem is the good weather, so children tend to play outside or on terraces here....
Puerto Plata Digital

The latino habit of wearing bling bling is another reason for the high crime rate, provoking the poor ladrones.... :tired:

donP

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
As I came from Orlando many years ago,I still read the Orlando Sentinel about every day....and I can say that there are very few days when there is not a shooting,killing,home invasion,etc,etc etec....it is one of the deadliest cities in Florida.....

SD is paradise compared to there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bob

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
A question for you males....

OK guys, so you feel that the DR (+/-) is safe.

Now, can you give the same answer if the question was directed at just females?

On my last couple of trips I would not have felt particularly safe

-walking around alone
-riding my horse in the countryside
-negotiating anything with a stranger
-going to the police - about ANYTHING

Things have changed the world over, I agree, but I do feel that there is a faint air of desperation about in the DR now that wasn't there before.
I am not DR bashing, just stating things as I see it, after 15 years of visiting and living.

Rio

bullitt510

Apr 29, 2010

As in the quote, any place can be dangerous, or safe, it is just a matter of thinking before you do something, hope for the best, but plan for the worst. You also need to remember that police , any where on the planet, not just DR, are for the most part a reactionary force. So your personal protection is totally up to you.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You also need to remember that police , any where on the planet, not just DR, are for the most part a reactionary force. So your personal protection is totally up to you.

Yes your personal protection is up to you but DR police are not merely reactionary. They can actually be quite proactive, just not in ways you would want...and in that sense I would agree with Rio's comment above about going to the police. I only go to police I know, or use a known intermediary.

However, Rio, I do walk around alone - in town, in the daytime and not huge distances because I have a car. And I don't feel unsafe doing so, but I appreciate that I know a lot of folks around PP so am forever bumping into someone I know. And there are many around whom I don't 'know' as such, but have seen them around for a long time so I kind of know who they are.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
OK guys, so you feel that the DR (+/-) is safe.
Now, can you give the same answer if the question was directed at just females?
On my last couple of trips I would not have felt particularly safe
-walking around alone
-riding my horse in the countryside
-negotiating anything with a stranger
-going to the police - about ANYTHING

walking around alone is no problem providing i know the area. i can therefore walk from costambar to the city center (i know it's crazy) and around the city itself.
i do not really ride horses alone and if i do it's on my suegro's farm so i feel safe.
i do not like to haggle unless i know the "real" price. then i can negotiate with anyone and i am firm.
never been to the police and never had any police related problems. should i ever need to contact police i'd take someone from my family for sure.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I remember times (mid 90's) in Guayaquil one was at danger in the middle of the bank district at noon. You could get shot for your shoes... from behind... or mowed down in a pharmacy (they did not ask for everybody to go down, the made sure everybody was down). Compared to that, ANY DR city today, downtown in "open to the general public"-areas... are like a walk in the park... still today. :)
But it can also lead to a false impression of perceived "safety". Even in Puerto Plata.
But the few times I've felt the "heat" closing in on me, was in Santo Domingo.
Once they were checking out my car (writing down VIN of several newer cars on a hotel parking lot!). The other time, a "Tiguerito" tried to intimidate me with some BS along El Conde, I intimidated him back in no uncertain terms. Not the smartest thing to do, but under the circumstance I had little choices, so I went for surprise. It worked.

Back in EC, just when hand held tasers became available, we (my wife and me) got "clustered up" by three guys on a beach... they had helpers further away, calling our attention on the sky... but I immediately felt something was "funny" and then I spotted the taser in the hands of one perp closing in slowly... I told my wife to run into one direction and I did towards the "helpers"... grabbed a stick on the way... It caused quite a stir but it "broke" their con and they all ran in all directions too.

What I think is one of the major teachings between Ecuador, Colombia and even Chile, as far as I can tell, and the DR... or most of the DR, is the type of foreigners the countries attract.
Colombia, Ecuador and Chile DO have quite a bit of industry which attracts a good number of foreigners who either build their own companies or work at some local company. Foreigners who live there, once they learn the local language and blend in are soon not so recognizable as foreigners anymore. There are too many South Americans who are blue eyed, whiter and blonder and than most of "us" posting here. I had such a "Cuenca" accent, people in Quito thought they recognized me as a Cuencano... in other words, it a bit a different crowd to start with and for those who make it, the "Gringo"-thingy fades away quickly.
HERE however, "we" will forever be GRINGOS. Even after 20 years of living here, we will be approached with "ey ma fren" and offered a shady land deal (yo se de UNA casa que se vende :tired:) or some other BS just like the first day "we" stepped down from that airplane.
Different people on both sides of the "isle", different risks, different mistakes, different stories - different crimes.

So, is it safe?
I "feel" OK here, but as on the first day, I am cautious and have a constant watchful eye. So no, not really.

... J-D.