Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: La Roca Restaurant in Sosua...Is Finito?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default La Roca Restaurant in Sosua...Is Finito?

I could not help but notice one of the longest established restaurants in Sosua has closed it's doors!

The on sight, artisian BBQ builder predicts a re opening in 3 weeks!

Someone needs to tell some of these restauranteers's that cream cheese is from Philadelphia not Sosua!

PC!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

We went last night for the Friday BBQ (very good) and were suprised to find it closed as it was operational earlier in the week. THere were no postings as to a reopening date so I quess we will have to wait and see.

Bob K

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike l View Post
    Someone needs to tell some of these restauranteers's that cream cheese is from Philadelphia not Sosua! PC!
    Mike, hate to tell you this, but cream cheese in the states was first developed in New York in 1872. The term Philadelphia was used because it led people to believe it would be of a higher quality. But, it was "originally" developed centuries ago in Europe.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Day before yesterday there was a sign saying reopen in 30 days. Sign no longer there, but I think that is still the plan.

There appears to be remodeling/repair work being done on the front deck. It looks like a brick grill has been constructed in one corner, and when I pass I see work being done elsewhere.

What is going on with the restaurant, I do not know. John, the long-time owner, had some health problems and went home to New Zealand for treatment. He left the employees in charge of the restaurant and from what I understand they were doing a good job and paying the bills.

The employees say that recently a man showed up and started the repair/remodeling. The employees don't know whether he has bought John's interest or what.

John did/does not own the building.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken2 View Post
    John did/does not own the building.
    So the advertised price tag of $1.4M USD is indeed preposterous if the business is for sale without the land. What are these people thinking?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Everything has been advertised for sale, including building and land. This is the first time I have heard a price mentioned. What is included should be determined.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate to say it, but a place like that needs a real makeover by someone who will not baulk at that price and then pump another million or so into it to make it into something that can raise the bar for the whole town. While I'm not a fan of places like Jose O'Shay's, La Roca could do with a corporate makeover and I think the town as a whole would benefit from it.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd agree with that!

Post Thanks / Like

Is my creaky old hard drive right in remembering that this was just about the ONLY place to eat in Sos˙a in the 60s and 70s??? If so, I done ate there once upon a time...'member it fondly. good food...

HB

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

At one time there was talk of tearing down the building and putting condos on that site. Whether that is still being considered, I don't know.

John had a plan for putting apartments on the 2nd floor.

I don't think anybody is going to put big money in that building unless it is more than a restaurant. There are already too many restaurants for the traffic, especially with so many hotels AI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast