Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Does any culture value being polite more than Dominicans?

I've realized after some time here how important politeness is among interactions with family, acquaintences and strangers. I think this is certainly an influential reason why Dominicans are generally very unconfrontational and forgiving. I believe this is also the reason why this country has had a relatively nonviolent history.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends how you define politeness.

Skipping lines would be considered rude in many cultures, no respecting public/common spaces could also considered rude.....

Politeness and history, not sure how it is related....

Actually, I am not sure I understand your question.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Africaida View Post
    Skipping lines would be considered rude in many cultures, no respecting public/common spaces could also considered rude.....
    Here in the DR this is not considered being impolite. On the contrary, is someone appears to be in a hurry it is deemed polite to let them go first. This is gradually changing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Africaida View Post
    Actually, I am not sure I understand your question.
    Americans and European cultures no longer value politieness for the most part. People hardly greet anyone but close friends or family in public outside of business interactions. Even then sometimes a greeting isn't valued. It also takes very little for same to lose their temper in public anymore.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    I've realized after some time here how important politeness is among interactions with family, acquaintences and strangers. I think this is certainly an influential reason why Dominicans are generally very unconfrontational and forgiving. I believe this is also the reason why this country has had a relatively nonviolent history.
    You would be surprised to know extreme politeness and hospitality exist in countries you are trained to think are adversaries. But I would not get into that.
    Politeness is not only a dominican trademark. There are countries where people will give you their bed to sleep on while they sleep on the floor if you are visitor to their home. They will give you their food to eat while they stay hungry. You would be shocked if I tell you what countries and people I am talking about.
    AZB

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Certainly some definition of terms might be helpful, as Africaida suggested.

I have witnessed examples of exquisite etiquette here, and I have experienced the most abominable behavior, at the hands of some Dominicans. I have seen the extremes of the two sides of politeness, and every degree in between. Sometimes I am amazed at the level of civility, and sometimes I am disgusted at the complete lack of consideration.

Of course, the same could be true any place, but we are discussing politeness within the Dominican culture, so I think it is fair to say it is somewhat inconsistent; At times they are impressively at the top of their game, and at other times, well, all I can do is shake my head.

And before some of the usual "experts" chime in with their drivel about differences between "high class society" and barrio 'chopos', let me be perfectly clear; Some of the rudest behavior I have observed here has been perpetrated by those who might be considered to be the "highest of the high", while some of the most civil behavior has been displayed with those who possess next to nothing. Go figure.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in the DR this is not considered being impolite. On the contrary, is someone appears to be in a hurry it is deemed polite to let them go first. This is gradually changing though.
    I see but I would think it would be more polite to ask the person if it is ok to let them go first

Americans and European cultures no longer value politieness for the most part. People hardly greet anyone but close friends or family in public outside of business interactions. Even then sometimes a greeting isn't valued. It also takes very little for same to lose their temper in public anymore.
    I agree with that.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe this is also the reason why this country has had a relatively nonviolent history.
    I find Japanese to be extremely -almost too- polite, yet they have nothing close to a peaceful history.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Chip,
    I understand where you're coming from and I think there are sufficient examples to form a foundation and to be able to continue stating examples to support your case. There is a noticeable deference given to those seen to be of higher social status, which was very noticeable to me when I first came to work here.

However, I think one would have to be wearing heavily tinted rose colored glasses to fully agree with you. The politeness to one's face is not always reflected in comments after one walks away.

And a 'relatively unviolent history'? Relative to what?

The country's been involved in almost continuous conflicts since the time of Colombus. A lot of political turmoil as well as uprisings. Columbus and the Tainos? Haitian occupation? Trujillo's era? Non-violent? Haitian massacre? Police brutality?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CFA123 View Post
    However, I think one would have to be wearing heavily tinted rose colored glasses to fully agree with you. The politeness to one's face is not always reflected in comments after one walks away.
    Keep in mind my supposition is that the Dominican culture values politeness to a great deal - which it does. Does this mean to say that there are unpolite people here? Certainly. Are they respected? Most certainly not and will be labled accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by CFA123 View Post
    And a 'relatively unviolent history'? Relative to what?

The country's been involved in almost continuous conflicts since the time of Colombus. A lot of political turmoil as well as uprisings. Columbus and the Tainos? Haitian occupation? Trujillo's era? Non-violent? Haitian massacre? Police brutality?

Relative to the rest of the world. All in all I stand by my claim. Dominicans are generally non confrontational than most and this has been apparent in their history. Take out one crazy leader's excesses and it is even more apparent.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZB View Post
    You would be surprised to know extreme politeness and hospitality exist in countries you are trained to think are adversaries. But I would not get into that.
    Politeness is not only a dominican trademark. There are countries where people will give you their bed to sleep on while they sleep on the floor if you are visitor to their home. They will give you their food to eat while they stay hungry. You would be shocked if I tell you what countries and people I am talking about.
    AZB
    I know what you are talking about Aftab. However, what happens if you somehow inadvertently cross these same people?

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast