What Benefit Do We Get From You Guys?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
........if any. How do Dominican society benefits from your presence?, even if expats only impact their surrounding neighbors.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
........if any. How do Dominican society benefits from your presence?, even if expats only impact their surrounding neighbors.

Why don't you ask the same question of your neighbors and ask them how having a Dominican in the neighborhood benefits them?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Well, we spend money, pay our light bills, don't have any chickens or roosters in the yard, and we don't play boom boxes at full volume. We discipline our children and don't cut ahead of other people standing in line. We drive sanely and consider a two-lane road to be just that. We don't race by pedestrians on motorcycles and grab purses off women's shoulders.

Are these the sort of benefits you had in mind when you posted your question?

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
They love us for our money, of course!

And for the chance to practice English.

And, in the case of Americans, the
Obama fist bump.

And, for the fact that of all the places that we could have chosen to live, we chose to live here....
so I would assume that it boosts self esteem a bit....

since indeed most of us who are here do indeed love both the Island and the people and are even a bit
Mad for Mangu.

My landlady thanks god every night for the Pope and for me (technically for the dollars but also because I finally just gave up asking her to do any repairs since she has no money.... and the neighbor downstairs took up the cause of the leak with the neighbor upstairs over the leak so that I would stay since I am quiet, and I pay my maintenance on time, and deliver frozen veggie lasagna whenever I make it.)

Plus we are great promoters of the place.... our friends and family come to visit,,,

and look, see

we even spend our time writing on this really cool message board here in English so that other people who speak
English will be able to find their way around and will come here and spend their money!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Individually, we might do something useful. Structurally as a 'group', we're probably reinforcing the status quo: continuing earlier exploitation by providing employment only in domestic type categories. Unless of course people are setting up educational facilities and offering completely free education to those who couldn't otherwise afford it, linked to apprenticeships and assured employment for the meritorious. But that probably takes us back to individual effort...

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Some of the positives... diversity, tax revenue, supporting local businesses, promotion of the country internationally, social volunteers, increased employment. Those sought to work here from outside are bringing needed skills and more often than not have local apprentices.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Employment comes to mind...

em?ploy?ment   [em-ploi-muhnt]
?noun
an act or instance of employing someone
or something.
the state of being employed
; employ; service: to begin or terminate employment.
an occupation by which a person earns a living
;
work; business.
the total number of people gainfully employed or working.

an activity or the like that occupies a person's time: She found knitting a comforting employment for her idle hours.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Actually, I think it is an interesting question.....You might think of a better way to rephrase it Vacara ;)

Every one states money, but from what I have seen in LT, it seems that the bulk of expat money goes to another expat's pocket.

Some expats are business owners, but what is the percentage ? For the others, employment would be limited to household help, no ??

What about the fact that expats drive price ups in certain areas of DR and make it non affordable for most locals?

These are valid questions......

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Every one states money, but from what I have seen in LT, it seems that the bulk of expat money goes to another expat's pocket.

I don't think you can justify that statement. Supermarkets, farmacias and gas stations are owned by Dominicans. Water and electric payments go to Dominican corporations. Many restaurants and bars are Dominican owned and many expats rent from Dominicans. Car and appliance dealers are Dominican owned and most service personnel, including the girls on the street, are Dominican.

The bulk of the money that I spend each month ends up in Dominican hands and I do not think I am that unusual.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I don't think you can justify that statement. Supermarkets, farmacias and gas stations are owned by Dominicans. Water and electric payments go to Dominican corporations. Many restaurants and bars are Dominican owned and many expats rent from Dominicans. Car and appliance dealers are Dominican owned and most service personnel, including the girls on the street, are Dominican.

The bulk of the money that I spend each month ends up in Dominican hands and I do not think I am that unusual.

I admit my experience is limited to LT, but expats shop in Supermercado Lindo (not owned by Dom), eat in non-dominican restaurants, rent houses owned by expats, etc....

I am probably wrong and I admit it, but, from an outsider point of view, that is the impression I had (at least in a tourist town such as las terrenas).

That is why I think it is an interesting question :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
For the others, employment would be limited to household help, no ??
household help is also a job and a job many would not have if it was not for the expacts so do not diminish that. for some this little job is all.

anyways: what we give is money and hope for a better life.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

I do too. And there is possibly an historical cyclicality about all this: arguably the Tainos were better off before the arrival of the Spaniards, and the Dominicans were better off before the arrival of the gringos........;)

For sure tourism has meant progress but has it not also meant contamination?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I admit my experience is limited to LT, but expats shop in Supermercado Lindo (not owned by Dom), eat in non-dominican restaurants, rent houses owned by expats, etc....

I am probably wrong and I admit it, but, from an outsider point of view, that is the impression I had (at least in a tourist town such as las terrenas).

Even when money is spent in foreign-owned businesses, a good share of that money passes to Dominicans in the form of wages and benefits for employees, utility payments, purchase of foodstuff, beer, soft drinks, etc., etc, from companies that are Dominican owned, etc.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Vacara, a Dominican I think, doesn't seem to think there are any benefits (at least from the way his question was phrased).

It would be interesting to find out if the positives outweigh the negatives (especially in tourist towns).

I am tempted to think that Dominicans would have different opinions than expats ...

Lambada, the Spaniard were convinced that they were doing good too....

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Even when money is spent in foreign-owned businesses, a good share of that money passes to Dominicans in the form of wages and benefits for employees, utility payments, purchase of foodstuff, beer, soft drinks, etc., etc, from companies that are Dominican owned, etc.

Thanks Ken2, it makes sense :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I do too. And there is possibly an historical cyclicality about all this: arguably the Tainos were better off before the arrival of the Spaniards, and the Dominicans were better off before the arrival of the gringos........;)

For sure tourism has meant progress but has it not also meant contamination?

Good grief, Lambada.

I certainly don't think I would be better off living in a cave somewhere.

Now, if I could have stayed in the Garden of Eden, I might feel different.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004

Where do those supermarkets/restaurants get their goods? Dominican vendors more than likely. Who carries the goods there? Dominican truckers. Who works in the store? Most likely Dominicans. Who gets the 17% itbis of what is purchased? Dominican government. If they're foreign goods, who are the customs brokers? Dominicans. If they're local goods, who produced them? Dominicans. Who are the businesses attorneys and accountants? Dominicans. Who are the taxi drivers and motoconchos that bring people to their businesses? Dominicans. Etc, etc, etc. To suggest there's no significant financial impact throughout the supply chain and that it's not majority Dominican owned is shortsighted.

Dominicans once owned the land (if they still don't) and had they had the wherewithal to see opportunities... could've created these businesses on their own. While some Dominicans slept, some foreigners and other Dominicans have seized the opportunities. Don't you just love seeing successful people - whatever their country of origin?

Status
Not open for further replies.