$200 Import Limit

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I searched but couldn't find what I was looking.
Can you help?

I have read about a $200 exemption for packages coming into the country?

Can one send 3 boxes, each less than $200, and still be exempt.. or will they add the values together?

I am sending repair items for my car.... shocks, air filter, brakes
They are all in separate boxes.
Better to space the shipments, or can I just send off all 3 at the same time?

Thanks

WW

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
One shipment on one day of the three boxes from one shipper to one consignee having a total invoice value (sum of the three boxes) US$ 200 or under is exempt.

Regards,
PJT

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
One shipment on one day of the three boxes from one shipper to one consignee having a total invoice value (sum of the three boxes) US$ 200 or under is exempt.

Regards,
PJT

Thats a different answer than the other two but that was my question..... better to space the shipments than to ship all 3 the same day?

Better safe than sorry

Maybe sombody can clarify it?

I shipped a faucet and taps once - about $400
Paid about $150 in duty, etc.
Expensive lesson

WW

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
From what I have heard, it is better to space the shipments... especially regarding computer-parts or car-parts...

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
I don't think that you need to space the shipments. I import since many years lots of stuff and never had a problem. The only shipments i space are electronics and perfumes... ;-)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
JD
Thanks .... the air filter is no problem at $40

The shocks are $45 each X 4 + shipping = $193

Haven't bought the brake pads yet.

So, we'll see

I understand what you're saying about customs using their own evaluation.
They do it with cars..... your cost means nothing to them, they have a chart that they use to calculate values and duties.

My friend shipped an $8000 car that the customs in POP valued at $12,000.

Speaking of POP, I have been warned never to ship there... too corrupt .... that was from a lecture we got at customs HQ in SDQ.
I told the man..... this advice has come too late . If a person is sitting here at customs, its because the shipment is already landed.

I used the new port at Caucedo and it went thru like a breeze.... full 40 foot container including a car.... no propina either!

WW