Sex lives of Dominican cats

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
In the UK cats usually come on heat once a year - in March. Kittens are born 9 weeks later in May/June. Some breeds come into season twice a year - such as siamese - September (kittens born November) and then again in March.

Here I have 10 cats. Most are neutered and spayed. However, before they were 'done' and those that still have all their bits, they are/were coming into season every couple of months. They have kittens and then 4 weeks later they are at it again, with the Haitian tom cats who live over the wall. (Actually I think one of them was mine who they took to barbecue and who escaped!). So they can end up with 3 or 4 litters a year.

So my question is, how often do dominican cats come into season, and why are they so much more randy than British cats?

Matilda

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
In the UK cats usually come on heat once a year - in March. Kittens are born 9 weeks later in May/June. Some breeds come into season twice a year - such as siamese - September (kittens born November) and then again in March.

Here I have 10 cats. Most are neutered and spayed. However, before they were 'done' and those that still have all their bits, they are/were coming into season every couple of months. They have kittens and then 4 weeks later they are at it again, with the Haitian tom cats who live over the wall. (Actually I think one of them was mine who they took to barbecue and who escaped!). So they can end up with 3 or 4 litters a year.

So my question is, how often do dominican cats come into season, and why are they so much more randy than British cats?

Matilda

Perhaps it is in their breeding!!!!!!

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006

Matilda

Only today was I sitting in my office thinking how little Matilda ( little as in few, not size) posts these days and you come back with this humdinger!
I can't answer it though :cheeky:

Rio

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I don't have the answer to your question about cats Matilda but I do know from personal experience that for some reason the DR awakens dormant hormones that colder weather does not! :laugh:

Reactions: rio2003

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe dominican medio ambiente is contaminated with la pela?
straying a little from stray cats - there is this health program on the radio that always seem to talk about pu**y. no matter what health issue they are talking about there'd always be a ginecologo who'd all of a sudden would go into long rants about general toto problems even if a subject of discussion for the day is, in fact, a corazon or cerebro.
so maybe this whole sex is a dominican thing? :)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I don't have the answer to your question about cats Matilda but I do know from personal experience that for some reason the DR awakens dormant hormones that colder weather does not! :laugh:

Confessions of a Mars & Venus Mod, eh? :cheeky:

It appears temperature does have something to do with it 'The exact length of season depends on climate; late January to mid October is typical in temperate climate regions.'
An Introduction to Cat Reproduction

'If a female cat doesn?t mate and become pregnant, she may go back into heat repeatedly, with only brief periods of non-heat ? as little as two days ? between heats!'
FAQ: Cat Reproduction

Cats appear to be spontaneous ovulators.

Rio is right about the humdinger. What ya trying to do, Matilda? Invite a lecture from you-know-who on barrio cats and tiguere toms and their lack of class in mating habits? :laugh::laugh:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
My experience with European cats is that they can be damn fast in heat so I couldn't be quick enough to neuter my cats.
One had kittens by our own choice so we thaught, ok, after these kittens are independent enough we get her neutered...too late, she was already pregnant again...stayed with the next litter of kittens for 2 (two!) weeks and tried to escape via the backdoor...got her into a metal cage for another two weeks with her kittens, after that we rushed her to the vet to get neutered and raised the kittens for another 4 weeks myself...damn, she was a *** cat despite the cold temperature :bunny:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
everything you wanted to know about queens

In the world of breeding cats, the female cat is usually referred to as a "queen". The queen's heat cycle is often called the "estrus cycle" or simply "estrus". The length of time of the estrus, and the frequency of the estrus cycles depends upon many factors, such as geographic and environmental factors, (temperature and the number of daylight hours, plus her proximity to other intact male and female cats), her age and overall health, and her genetic background. Once a queen goes into heat or estrus, she may stay in heat for several days, to 2-3 weeks. Some queens, once they are sexually mature and enter estrus, do not come out of heat unless and until they are either bred to a full male cat, or spayed. The majority of queens will cycle in and out of estrus during the prime breeding season (roughly December through August), returning back into heat approximately every other week.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Dirty_Bunny.jpg

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
the last pic made me think of the "being in heat" cycle of a lot of tourists in sosua and environment.. (they are not too particular about what they f**** either....lol)

Some famous Belgian words (which represents our culture.... ouch....)... "and so the farmer said... a hole is a hole... while he mounted his pig...."

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Confessions of a Mars & Venus Mod, eh? :cheeky:

Rio is right about the humdinger. What ya trying to do, Matilda? Invite a lecture from you-know-who on barrio cats and tiguere toms and their lack of class in mating habits? :laugh::laugh:

I just hope they stay away from "cat washes" and mixing with the wrong class of moggies!

;) Rio

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thank you very much for your responses. So it is a combination of the weather and proximity to other un neutered cats?

Interestingly, cats only ovulate when they copulate. The male cat's appendage has loads of spikes on it - a bit like a cactus. This stimulates the cat to ovulate and is also - as you can imagine - a tad painful. Hence the terrible noise they make whilst mating. However, the female is desperate to ovulate - not sure why - hence they put themselves through the pain. When I used to breed siamese cats in the UK, the vet told me that one could also use a pencil to help the females to ovulate and hence stop them being on heat. I have not tried it though.

Was hoping to post a picture of the latest kitten - named Hartley after a fellow DR1 member but unfortunately he is in hiding atm. Will try and catch him later - he always appears at feeding time!!

Matilda

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010

Matilda

Wow that's a lot of cats Matilda. I have my hands full with the 2 that I've got. My cat experience in Canada was that my female, delivered kittens in and immediately came back into heat afterwards. Only our vet could not have her spayed until she was finished nursing. We ended up having to confine her during this period, only she escaped by ripping open the screen and successfully got knocked up again. After that litter she came into heat immediately again while nursing and was this time confined in more secure surroundings and spayed. There's no telling how many litters she would have mothered had we not fixed her.:bunny:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Thank you very much for your responses. So it is a combination of the weather and proximity to other un neutered cats?

Interestingly, cats only ovulate when they copulate. The male cat's appendage has loads of spikes on it - a bit like a cactus. This stimulates the cat to ovulate and is also - as you can imagine - a tad painful. Hence the terrible noise they make whilst mating. However, the female is desperate to ovulate - not sure why - hence they put themselves through the pain. When I used to breed siamese cats in the UK, the vet told me that one could also use a pencil to help the females to ovulate and hence stop them being on heat. I have not tried it though.

Was hoping to post a picture of the latest kitten - named Hartley after a fellow DR1 member but unfortunately he is in hiding atm. Will try and catch him later - he always appears at feeding time!!

Matilda

Are there children reading this board??...going to refrain to give a quote :)
WOW Matilda, Siamese cats? I love those cats, very smart cats. I had a half siamees who did an apport with a little ball, great to watch every time again and again and they answer back when you ask them something!