Trip itinerary - looking for input

hahm74

May 7, 2007
Hello,
My family is planning a 2 week trip to the DR. Below is our proposed itinerary. Any advice would be appreciated. Is there some must see/do that we're missing? Are we trying to do too much/little on any given day? Anything else you can think of?? I posted this in the Central section because that's where most of our trip takes place.
Day 1 - fly into Santo Domingo 12:30 pm. Pick up rental car (SUV) drive to Baharuco, stay at Hotel Pontevedra. Driving time Santo Domingo - Baharuco 3 hours???
Day 2 - Lago Enriquillo - we plan to drive there ourselves (drive time from
Baharuco 1 hour?? 1 1/2 hours???) and try to get a boat tour of the lake and Isla Cabritos. I have a phone # for the guide association (809/816-7441) don't know if that's correct or not and I don't speak any spanish, but I'm hoping maybe someone at the hotel can call for us the day before to try and set something up - otherwise we'll just go early in the morning and hope for the best. Any good/cheap local places to eat in Descubierta? After seeing the lake/island we plan to take the road that goes around the south side of the lake to get back. Any interesting stops on that road? If I understand correctly the turnoff to the Polo Magnetico is along that road, so maybe if we're not too exhausted we'd make that little side trip.
Day 3 - Relax at the hotel - swim in the pool, maybe go to Villa Miriam to swim there
Day 4 - Laguna Oviendo and Hoyo de Pelempito - drive to Oviendo (1 hour?) and look around a bit - don't think we'll do a boat tour here, then continue on to Hoyo de Pelempito. (Drive time from Laguna Oviendo to Pelempito ???? no idea) Seems like a lot of driving in one day???
Day 5 - Leave the Southwest and head to Valle Nuevo and stay at Villa Pajon. Wondering what the best way to drive there is? Should we take the San Jose de Ocoa - Constanza road? How long will it take us to get from Baharuco to Villa Pajon??
Days 6 - 9 Hang out/hike/horseback ride, look at the stars, etc. We also want to visit Aguas Blancas waterfall. How far of a drive from Villa Pajon is that? We might just do it on the way to Jarabacoa.
Day 10 - Drive to Jarabacoa - not sure yet where we'll be staying - either Brisas de los Alpes or we're looking for a Cabana to rent. Any advice on good, cheap local food places to eat at would be appreciated.
Day 11 - Visit a waterfall or two - Salta de Jimenoa Dos and Salto de Baiguate
Day 12 - Head to Santiago or Tamboril to take a tour of a Cigar Factory. Visit El Santo Cerro on the way. Any recommendations on which cigar factory to visit? Do I need to set this up ahead of time or can we just show up?
Day 13 - Visit Ebano Verde Scientific Reserve - this looks like quite a drive from Jarabacoa, but it sounds like a great place to hike.
Day 14 - Relax at hotel? Find an easy/short hike to do?
Day 15 - Drive to Santo Domingo, fly home (2 1/2 hour drive??)

So, any advice would be great. You'll notice there are no beaches in this trip We live in Antigua, and don't need to go on vacation to visit a beach. Also, we're traveling with small children (2, 4, 7, and 9) so that is why no rafting or really long hikes.
Thanks for any input/advice you have:cheeky:

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
This is how I would do the southwest

Day 2 Wake up early, do the Oviedo boat tour, see hoyo de pelempito, Go to Bahia de las Aguilas. (do not miss Bahia de las Aguilas! ) We were going to do this by ourselves but then we got a guide and we are soooo glad we did. He took us to clean inexpensive places to eat and told us about the history of the area.

Day 3 Villa Miriam is a nice place but you can also just bathe for free in the same river by the road or down by the sea.

Day 4 Last July there were no trips to Isla Cabritos because of the rising water. The drive around the the lake is a lot longer than you would think and there is nothing to see. If I had to do it again I would go only up to las caritas take some pics and turn right back around. The Enriquillo entrance is just a few meters after las caritas you can ask the guard if they have trips to Cabritos but you would probably have to do it in Spanish. The towns around the area are very small. there is Neiba and not much else after that. You can go to duberje on your way back there are rest there.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Well I'm exhausted just reading it!
Sounds like you plan to pack a lot into your trip, good for you.
Don't forget to do a trip report afterwards.
Have a great time and enjoy your visit!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Day 1. Fly into Santo Domingo at 12:30pm. Overnight in the Colonial City. See DR1 Directories - Dominican Republic for hotels. I recommend this because the drive out to Barahona is long and since you are a first timer it can be stressful. This is a vacation. On the way out stop at Las Marias for stocking up on Dominican sweets.

Day 2. Leave early the next morning. See hotels at DR1 Directories - Dominican Republic
It will take you three hours to get there. Take the road San Cristobal, Bani, Azua, and then on to Vicente Noble, Neiba, Postrer Rio (Caritas), La Descubierta and drive around the south part of the lake to get back. In Duverge on your way back there is the La Zurza sulphur waters for a dip if it is not a weekend. On weekends too many people. Then it brings you on the way to Cabral, but you want to go south to see the Polo Magnetico, and then head to your hotel in Barahona.

The boat to do the Cabritos tour costs about US$100, and you would need to book it in advance and then you need to ask to start early. At 6:30am would be best to avoid the hot sun. You need to stock up on lots of water, hats and sun lotion. It is probably the hottest point in the Caribbean – can get as hot as 37C. I think it is worth it. Read up a lot before you go out there, so you know what you will be seeing. At the hotel they can help you arrange this, but it would be best to get it started before and then just confirm the strip once you get to the DR. There is the possibility you could join an already arrange trip, but this is not very likely, so best to make arrangements in advance. If this is not possible, then just enjoy a walk and seeing the iguanas.

I suggest you visit Cachote, with its many hiking trails. Cachote: Take this 20 kms uphill route where you will discover the cloud forest in the mountains of the Eastern Bahoruco. The route takes you around the Padre Miguel Fuertes natural monument to Cachote. Cachote is a town with less than 50 inhabitants and three rustic cabins for visitors that operate at about 1,300 meters above sea level and include a nature center and walking tours.

Day 3. Enjoy the panoramic highway along the southwest coast. My favorite for this area. Take your time.
You will also have to make arrangements for booking the excursion at Oviedo. That is also worth it, but you want to take the guided tour out. You need to book the excursion with a day in advance and get there no later than 6am for bird watching. I suggest you staying at Dona Chava in Pedernales. Oviedo is on the way there. At Dona Chava hotel they can book the trip to Oviedo for you.

Day 4. Suggest you visit Hoyo de Pelempito one morning early so you can do some birdwatching, and then in the afternoon head out to Bahia de las Aguilas. For Bahia de las Aguilas you also need to take lots of sunscreen, water and hats. You can get there by 4 SUV but suggest you pay for the boat trip. By vehicle you have to climb down a cliff that unless you are a very experienced driver and have a very strong vehicle, I would not recommend it.

Day 5. While it looks good on the maps, the road up to San Jose de Ocoa and Constanza is in bad condition, so you would need to have a good 4wheel drive vehicle to do this. It will probably take you 4 hours given the condition of the road. Your other option is to head back to Santo Domingo and spend another night in the city, enjoying its excellent restaurants and night life and shopping.

If you return to Santo Domingo, then you take the Carretera Duarte north and get to visit Bonao. Check out the Candido Bido Cultural Center, and the Cristian Tiburcio house-museum, the Dominican Gaudi. At both places ask for instructions to visit with the Santos de Palo artists. Have lunch or breakfast at the Tipico Bonao on the way to Constanza.

Day 6/7/8. Head out to Jarabacoa. Stay at Rancho Baiguate and book their river rafting excursion. Needs a day in advance. Visit Salto de Jimenoa. Have lunch at La Parillada in town.

Day 8. Head out to Constanza through Jarabacoa. Road is not good, but doable. Lovely sights. Take care with distractions.

Day 9. See Aguas Blancas. Enjoy the town of Constanza. Bring sweater. Ebano Verde reserve is off the road to Constanza. It is worth a visit for its lovely trails.

Day 10-14. Head to Santiago to visit the Centro Cultural Leon, they have a good cigar ensemble you can visit. They are the owners of Aurora cigars.

Day 11. Head to Quita Espuela via Salcedo. Check out the lovely murals route where native artists from the province have painted almost every wall in the town. More than 135 murals. Visit the Mirabal Sisters Museum in Ojo de Agua. If you are into hiking, there is the coffee route in Jamao, near Salcedo, where various trails are walkable. To book a tour, email dominicana@ucodep.org

Stay at the Scientific Reserve Quita Espuela located close to Salcedo in Duarte province, near the city of San Francisco de Macoris. Obsere cocoa cultivation, bird-watching with about 58 avian species. See Fundaci?n Loma Quita Espuela for booking a tour and stay at the small parador.

It’s 2 hour drive to get back to Santo Domingo.

You would still be missing the north coast and the northeast and the east. Enough for another 2 week vacation.

Let us know how things go.

When you are in Santo Domingo, buy a good map. The Garr maps are good.

Last edited: