Elder Home & Orphanage Combo

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I finally got the prices for an "elder" home which is run in the"Quaker" tradition... by which I assumed that it would be intellectually and spiritually enriching and respectful.

Hold on---For $180,000 (if I wanted my estate to recover 50% of principal) I could have the use of a 550 sq ft. apartment, and unlimited days of nursing care for the monthly fee of $2500.

We are coming up to the crest of the Boomer's retirement age and lots of them are going to figure out that their NEW plan -- if they want the Luxury of Comfort in their sunset years... is going to be working until they are 75.

Couldn't it be done better here? By building "elder apartments" along with orphanages (Or community schools... or ????)for those of us who would like to have a Third Age of contributing back?

Seems to me that there are too many elders without young people about in the States (and in Europe, too, no?) and not enough grandparents with the little ones here.

It is a perfect match, really since we are both at a silly stage of life. For instance, I am now becoming entranced with Spanish cartoons.....(it is the sun... )

Anyway..yes, sure I could walk over and volunteer at the local orphanage. But I am not going to because then the Nuns would be watching me and I am waaaaayyyyy to silly for that.

And I do not want to leave my one air conditioned dark room in the heat of the day... but

I would be happy to do reading hour after the sun sets

if they were right here, that is.....

Anyway, I am preparing an article for Friends Journal Religious Society of Friends - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
on living here..(they already ran one on my moving here).. so if any of you have home towns that might welcome some active Quaker retirees... please post here.

I think that there are many people who would be happy to retire earlier with less if they knew they could be of use.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I should have been more specific in my request...
If there are any of you who are from a town in the "interior" , i.e. not a tourist area, who are connected with a local group or NGO who is doing neighborhood work and would help get people who might be interested in "settled in" .. please post..or PM me.....

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
In Belgium there is a system where a couple who builds a new house and the plan consists of a one familiy house with an independent extinction for an eldery person (direct kin of that couple), they are subsidised by the government, its called a "Kangoroo House".

Nice initiative except for the fact that if either one of the three adult persons who will be living in that house is depending on Wellfare either in the form of an unemployed mother or father or and for sure the older person with a pension, these people are being "punished" by that same government in the way of a big deduction of those Welfare payments because they live together.

If you add everything, its not worth building such a house which is a shame because I still find it a nice idea especially in European countries where families are not that close anymore and eldery people tend to get very lonely and alone (not to generalise but its a trend).

Has nothing to do with your question MA, but thought I should share this idea on your thread...

Reactions: mountainannie

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Thanks, Arica, because it was not really a thread... more like talking to myself in the shower. Dominicans cannot understand this since they have deep and strong family ties and are very close-- so it must seem a very odd idea to them. But I know that many Americans... say the ones who moved to the SunBelt in the last generation... do not expect to be living close to their own children and do expect to move from their northern.. often highly taxed homes.

We have that system in some States .. as a zoning exemption in a single family home area.. in the form of a mother-in- law apartment or a mother-daughter. It is a restricted real estate form.

But since there are many Boomers .. the majority of Boomers in the US... who are going to have retirement incomes perhaps in the 25 to 45k income.. which puts them ..not living large, I know that many would have a more vigorous and exciting life here.

And we know that there are more kids that need attention... since the school days are officially only four hours... So it could not hurt.